Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Centrelock Hub thread repair
  • rab5474
    Free Member

I have knackered the threads in the hub for the lockring for centrelock disk. Does anyone know of a repair, somethin like a helicoil, i dont think running through with a tap will sort it out or even if a tap exists

Anyone any suggestions?

Cheers
    Rab

coatesy
    Free Member

Doubtful if there’s anywhere near enough metal to helicoil it, if it’s really knackered then you’ll probably be looking at rebuilding with a new hub. Be wary of un-named used OE front hubs if you decide to go that way, some have been subject to a recall due to the entire mount shearing off the hub-shell (and no, it’s not just a precaution, we have one sitting in the workshop right now).

njee20
    Free Member

Bit of a sweeping generalisation, there are approximately 8,493 different unbranded OEM hubs, I don’t think they’ve all been recalled.

I agree that I don’t fancy your chances of a repair though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotlandthedave
    Free Member

how did you knacker the thread? EDIT – bit of a silly question really, but its such a fine thread i can’t imagine you would cross thread it, so assume over tightening,

I have some new centrelock disc hubs and it would just be my luck to make the same mistake, so forewarned is forearmed 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

pick a rotor size, glue it on with threadlock.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll go with hamfisted at 5/4 odds.

coatesy
    Free Member

It was a very sweeping generalisation, but not that many OE hubs are centrelock, so narrows it down a touch. For the cost of a brand new (or used) known brand, i’d probably prefer to know about these things,and not take the risk.

Speshpaul

Hi Rab

which hub is it, is to worth anything?
    If its a basic shimano one then it may be worth looking at changing it.
    If its a XT or XTR might be worth trying to repair it.
    You might struggle to find a die big enough to do a centre lock thread, so you would be looking at filing the threads. Tricky but you’ve got nothing to loose.

I’m in Shropshire, Minsterley (i think we have spoken before) i can have a look, i can certainly do a wheel rebuild if thats the way you want to go, or look at bonding a rotor on.

email me a close up of the thread, email on profile.

Cheers
    Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Centrelock Hub thread repair’ is closed to new replies.