Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Centre Parcs why would you ….
  • joeyj
    Free Member

Just returned from a very enjoyable week in Centre Parcs Sherwood Forest with the family While there noticed a number of very expensive bikes being used for general riding around the parc. I spoke to one bloke with a Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon and asked him if he was going off the complex to do some riding and he replied no just brought the bike to ride around the parc. Is it me or is this just over kill, why would you take your bike (and pay for the privilege of having your own bike) to ride along roads at centre parcs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Friends of ours had all their bikes stolen whilst at Centre Parcs, IMO nuts to take a decent MTB there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe he just wants to have his own bike rather than what they have?

GrahamS

Maybe it’s his only bike and he didn’t fancy paying the rental prices?

and pay for the privilege of having your own bike

Don’t remember having to pay for our bikes when we took them earlier this year.

wallop

Wow, does it really matter what bikes other people use to ride around a holiday park?

ski
    Free Member

Bike hire is not cheap at CP if you have a family to kit out, if you have your own bikes, seems a no brainer to take them, as long as you have a way of getting them there and some decent locks.

mountainman

It’s like 4×4 s people buy em n never take em off road ( most off road they do Tesco carpark)
    Incidently centre parcs longleat some excellent off park stuff around,my old ground.

ski
    Free Member

There was a guy having a brand new Lambo delivered on a low loader to his treetops lodge, when we went last!

wallop

It’s like 4×4 s people buy em n never take em off road ( most off road they do Tesco carpark)

No, it’s not. Are you saying if you buy a 4×4 for driving off road, you then have to buy another car to drive on-road?

continuity
    Free Member

No, it’s not. Are you saying if you buy a 4×4 for driving off road, you then have to buy another car to drive on-road?

If you have any care for the environment its future whatsoever you would. But then that’s expecting a lot of 4×4 drivers.

bol

I sometimes take a decent bike to Centre Parcs if I’m going to get the chance to ride nearby. I also take a VERY big chain and a couple of decent locks and keep it inside at night. I remember getting lots of “like yer bike mister” comments from little boys when I took a Stumpy FSR once, but no-one seemed to notice my Soda last time. Not that I’m complaining.

wallop

If you have any care for the environment its future whatsoever you would. But then that’s expecting a lot of 4×4 drivers.

😆 very true, but also a different debate.

batfink
    Free Member

Some people (like me) just have one bike…. not the luxury of several bikes to suit every occasion. Would I take my 150mm travel full susser to centre parcs to avoid having to pay to hire one? Of course I would.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Hey.. mind your own **** business.. If I want to own a 4×4 I will.. Any lesser car wouldnt be able to cope with me blamming onto the kerbs at speed when I need to get past inconsiderate cars turning right and holding me up.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yep me and my mate took our SC Blur’s last year to Sherwood. Way too overkill for the parc itself and even the nearby Sherwood trails but no way would I ride one of the BSO’s from Centreparcs.

As Bol said, we took two Almax chains and kept them in the storeroom inside.

Gary_M
    Free Member

why would you take your bike (and pay for the privilege of having your own bike) to ride along roads at centre parcs.

Because they wanted to and they had freedom of choice.

How dare someone do what they want with their own money without consulting the stw bike sense check police.

Why would anyone post a question on a forum about this? And why am I even bothering to reply.

binners

My bike comes with me pretty much everywhere I go

GrahamS

There was a guy having a brand new Lambo delivered on a low loader to his treetops lodge, when we went last!

I’d like to have been there to watch him drive it out over all the speed bumps 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

My Bothers Landrover Freelander averages 45mpg overall, and he gets above 50mpg on motorway runs.

How does that compare to the average car that will seat 5 adults in comfort (including their luggage)

Or the environmental impact of owning two cars instead.

Pretty well I would imagine.

But then again, lazy stereotypes are easy things to get stuck with aren’t they.

Drac

I suspect the guy was winding you up.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I think the real question here should be:

Centre Parcs why would you ….go there on holiday?

Drac

How does that compare to the average car that will seat 5 adults in comfort (including their luggage)

My parents have one and compared to my A3 and the previous Golf, well badly. Less MPG as demonstrated and a lot less room too really was uncomfortable with 5 adults in and it would be hand luggage only.

It gets good MPG for a 4×4 but really not good compared to cars but that’s what you expect. My parents have one as the live up in the hills of Northumberland and use it to pull a trailer off road full of logs.

MoreCashThanDash

There are lots of reasons people may take big full sussers to Centre Parcs, or buy a 4×4.

The main reason being that it is their money, their choice, and frankly naff all to do with any of us.

nealglover
    Free Member

My parents have one and compared to my A3 and the previous Golf, well badly. Less MPG as demonstrated and a lot less room too really was uncomfortable with 5 adults in and it would be hand luggage only.

The new freelander has pretty much double the boot space of the new Golf (with all the seats up)

(The suggestion that having another(as well as the 4×4) car to use on road would be a “greener” alternative is tosh.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Oh, and I took my Stumpjumper FSR to centre parks.

Why would I pay to hire a bike when I already own one ?

(I didn’t “pay for the privilege of having your own bike” while I was their either. Not even sure what was meant by that ??)

binners

Speshpaul

“If you have any care for the environment its future whatsoever you would. But then that’s expecting a lot of 4×4 drivers.”

Yes and wasting away the day with idle chatter on the internet is saving baby seals! Because the computers are made from deer poo and server farms are carbon neutral.
    FFS.

A3 5 adaults in comfort! Shame they don’t do a seven seater you could all go work at the panto together 😀

v8ninety

I think the real question here should be:
    Centre Parcs why would you ….go there on holiday?

This makes you sound like a pompous sneery pseudo-superior twit.

Just saying like. (oh and in answer to your question; because it’s a relatively safe, virtually car free environment to take small children with lots of stimulating and enjoyable things to do as a family all within easy strolling distance. Reasonably priced, too, if you are able to avoid the school holidays)(other uk holiday parks are available)

Drac

The new freelander has pretty much double the boot space of the new Golf (with all the seats up)

Exactly the comparison I had, it really isn’t certainly smaller least it was when I looked yesterday. It had more height but less length.

A3 5 adaults in comfort! Shame they don’t do a seven seater you could all go work at the panto together

What I’m 6′ 2″ my Dad is 6′ 3″ that’s probably the Freelander was uncomfortable. The Golf and A3 aren’t great either but it’s more pleasant than the Freelander.

Speshpaul

“Centre Parcs why would you ….go there on holiday?”

because you won’t be there.

druidh
    Free Member

^^^ Excellent! ^^^

colonelwax
    Free Member

🙁 I went once, it was rubbish. Unwelcoming fellow holiday makers.

Drac

We’ve been a few times when the kids were for pretty much the reasons above. It was fine for what it was a simple break away, yeah there was some miserable gits but most were nice. The same as anyway really you can’t predict people.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Yep Drac, that’s what I thought. Wasn’t that cheap though, food in the restaurant places was crap. Maybe I’d have enjoyed it more if I’d taken my own bike.

Drac

We managed to get a few bargains by waiting but we priced a few times the last couple of years and it’s gone mad so we stopped going. Food was about average we thought but simple, we only really did lunches and the occasional meal in the evening the rest was cooked at the lodge. Last year we hired a holiday lodge in the Lakes it was far cheaper, off to Fueteventurra ?sp on Saturday for a week that’s not cheaper.

Scamper
    Free Member

Looks like i’ll be off to CP for the first time soon. Have no idea what to expect. Regarding security where can you store your bikes – can you stick them easily in your accomodation for example?

Drac

You’re not supposed to I just took a big lock with me.

iainc

Scamper – some info on here :

centerparcs

GrahamS

we priced a few times the last couple of years and it’s gone mad so we stopped going

Monday to Friday break seemed to be the cheapest for us (at Whinfell).

We go with the in-laws (grandparents + brother-in-law and kids). Take turns cooking dinner. Only eat lunch in the cafes. Food seemed okay to me, bit pricey but not eye-watering given that it is a captive market.

And yes, all of this is true:

n answer to your question; because it’s a relatively safe, virtually car free environment to take small children with lots of stimulating and enjoyable things to do as a family all within easy strolling distance. Reasonably priced, too, if you are able to avoid the school holidays

v8ninety

Looks like i’ll be off to CP for the first time soon. Have no idea what to expect. Regarding security where can you store your bikes – can you stick them easily in your accomodation for example?

I suspect it depends very much on what type of accom you have got, but ours had a big store cupboard by the front door that fitted three to four bikes in easily. Also a hefty bike rack outside for less valuable/short term storage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Centre Parcs why would you ….’ is closed to new replies.