Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Centralising Hope Brakes
  • GeForceJunky

Hello

I’ve got a Hope Tech M4 on the back of my DH bike and the pistons on it are not moving equally. 2 pistons on one side seam to move out much easier than the other two. This means to line up the calpier it has to be offset to one side which becomes a problem when the pads wear down as the disc would rub the caliper body. Does anybody know how to stop this?

Cheers

chunkyone
    Free Member

I have just come off the phone to Hope this morning with similar issues with my Mono Mini callipers.
    The simple answer is send the brake to them for a full service which includes a strip down, seals and news pads for £40.00 per caliper + post. That price is for a Mono Mini so best check that is the same for yours.

In my experience by the time you have messed about with them yourself and incurred costs for fluid, seals and pads you are better off letting the experts have a look at them. Looking at feedback on line the brakes come back to you like new. Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, I don’t work for Hope!

Freester

A quick fix is to take the wheel out and using some tyre levers gently lever the pistons in / out dropping some brake fluid on the outside of the pistons to help with lubrication.

Care that you don’t push the pistons too far as they may pop out and care you don’t damage the pistons. It’s a quick fix – longer term they probably need a seal service – DIY or send back to Hope.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanf
    Free Member

As Freester, I would start by cleaning the pistons as they may have accumulated some gunk on them.
    If that makes no difference then it’s time for a strip down and re-build and if you’re not comfortable doing that then the hope service will be excellent.

shredder
    Free Member

Have you tried centralising the pistons not just the calliper ?
    You will find a vid on the Hope site, but basically you put something behind the backing on one set of pads, and whilst squeezing the lever push that pad towards the opposing piston / pads. Then reverse the procedure for the other side, you will see the pistons move out to meet the back of the pad.
    I had just as your describing then centralised/equalised the pistons and they were perfect and nice and solid at the lever.
    Do this after centralising g the caliper
    Hope that helps
    Cheers

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

A sticky piston is usually caused by dirt getting around the seals. Take the wheel out. Get a rag and clean out all the gunk around the pistons. Lube with brake fluid, push them back in with a plastic tyre lever and repeat a couple of times. In an M4 caliper they will not all come out at the same time so use the lever to block the ones that come out first.

Stick the pads and wheel back in and finish with any minor caliper centreing. Be careful pushing the pistons back by getting something under the opposite pad. The M4 pads are long so if not careful you can bend them

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The M4 pads are long so if not careful you can bend them

This is what old pads are made for.

GeForceJunky

Cool cheers for the help, found the video here:

so will try that and if not give them a lube with brake fluid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Centralising Hope Brakes’ is closed to new replies.