Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Central Scottish help required
  • wee-al
    Free Member

So guys, where have you been riding (Glasgow area especially helpfull) in the last week that is still enjoyable?

I’m dying to get out on my new Decade Virsa that i’ve built up but can’t be arsed slogging through three feet of snow. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Allan.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Dumfries and Galloway stanes and Drumlanrig look about the only viable options – very little snow there.

wee-al
    Free Member

Aye was thinking that might be the way ahead.

Anyone else know of anything?

Trekster

What shortbread says;
    Dalbeattie on Wed;
    Dalbeattie on Wed
    Ae was good on Monday.
    Mabie was good on Sat past and should be tomorrow.
    Drumlanrig should be good as well, Bangin on(Rik) posted so earlier in the week
    Temp has gone from -10 yesterday to 1deg atm so getting warmer and thawing so weekend will either be slippier than a banana skin or muddier than an elephants mud bath(or both!!)
    Dumfries area weather

We tip; sign up and get 20% off @ http://www.ae7.com/

stucol
    Free Member

Greenock cut may be ok. Not very technical at all but it’s ok for a standby.

The Succoth loop from Arrochar to Loch Sloy is a possibility.

I was hoping to do Ben Venue but i think that’s completely stuffed now !

Investigating the possibility of a coastal path trip in the Portpatrick area, no snow there i think.

wee-al
    Free Member

Sweet phots Trekster

thegman67

i was down at Drumlanrig on Sunday and it was great only a dusting of snow

Trekster

Investigating the possibility of a coastal path trip in the Portpatrick area, no snow there i think.

sounds interesting

wee-al – Member
    Sweet phots Trekster

Cheers. It was a really nice day, grip was unreal considering the conditions. We rode a lot of “local” stuff 😉
    Ae on Monday was equally as good but there is not the scope for as much local stuff due to the terrain.

wee-al
    Free Member

What’s this Succoth loop like? Is there much snow there at the moment?

wee-al
    Free Member

What’s this Succoth loop like? Is there much snow there at the moment?

trailertrash

So guys, where have you been riding(

all over on my snowboard….

you should try one…fun!

wee-al
    Free Member

Found it. sounds ace. Going to see if that’s rideable tomorrow i think!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

What about the train to mugdock and then first bit of the west highland way then loop bak through mugdock? Shouldnt be too bad I think

iainc

scotty – Mugdock is a nono. Last night totally unrideable with thick snow. Now it will be icy slush. Hoping that by Sunday there has been enough of a thaw to get it sorted before a re-freeze. Lat year’s ice fest is a recurring dream 🙄

iainc

al – if you are doing Succoth, it’s worth extending it by starting at Tarbet Station – adds 15 mins of pleasant off road onto each end, giving a 2-3 hr ride, pace dependant

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Ah, wasnt sure but thought it may have been sheltered by the trees a bit

iainc

scotty – nah, there are a few sporadic sheltered bits, but very hard to piece together a decent ride even with good trail knowledge. Some of the bottom sections round the reservoir (Voodoo) are fine, but as soon as you get up onto the Westie only the main walking paths are rideable. Next few days they will go from grippy hardpack to icy slush and hopefully to bare trail……then a wee bit of frost to make them all good again 😛

wee-al
    Free Member

Ended up trying The Succoth loop. Unfortunately the fireroad climb was compacted wet ice and completely unrideable. Found some sweet singletrack in the trees though, which made the best of a bad day. The loop does look like it might be ace though and i will definately be heading back when it’s rideable. Cheers for the heads up.

seosamh77
    Free Member

it’s a good loop, an absolute slog up that hill though, i just about made it up before the walkers last time i did it! 🙂 i should mention i’m awfy slow uphill!

if you take the turn off up to the damn at loch sloy too, it’s a buzz flying back down, it’s all tarmac mind, but still makes it a bit longer and you can reach silly speeds on the tarmac DH. the dam just seems like the natural lunch stop for me.

on another note has anyone ever taken the bike up the cobbler? that track looks fairly inviting on google earth..

BoardinBob

Mugdock still unrideable. Had a very frustrating morning today. The slush is just soul destroying.

iainc

Bob – thanks for update – was gonna head out at 9 tomorrow with some GMBC guys – might go Drumlanrig instead

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Central Scottish help required’ is closed to new replies.