Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Central heating quotes – seasonal?
  • letmetalktomark

Been in our house 1 year now and whilst the boiler seems fine (must get it serviced…) it must be approximately 20 years old if not older….

Would we bet better off looking into getting it replaced over the warmer months, from a price point, or do the seasons not make a difference?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Been in our house 1 year now and whilst the boiler seems fine (must get it serviced…) it must be approximately 20 years old if not older….

Are you aware there's a scrappage scheme for old boilers? If yours qualifies, it's a £400 rebate, well worth having.

Seasonal? Naah. Plumbers are needed all year and people want their boiler updating when it's warm and they don't need the heating.

Always get 3 quotes, they can vary by thousands of pounds. We got a new Worcester Bosch CDi boiler, hed it moved from the kitchen to the garage, and some other work done at the same time for £3000, minus the £400 we got back. One quote was nearer £5000…….

The boiler alone was over £1000 + flue + controls + lots of pipework + a radiator etc

carbon337
    Free Member

BGas quoted me 7.5k – local dude did it all in for 2k. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BGas quoted me 7.5k – local dude did it all in for 2k.

Sounds par for the course. We had a full CH system installed at our last place, everything apart from a hot and cold tank. We had 3 quotes from reputable local tradesmen between £3600 and £4400. All would have been good firms to employ. They all came round, chap in work clothes, measured the house, listened to what we wanted, and sent a written quote a few days later. Great.

Someone kept banging on that we really should go to BG, so we got them in for a quote. Young bloke in a shiny suit turns up, has literally a 5 min look round (If that) and said "£6000, how does that sound?"
    So I showed him the other quotes. He was soooooo embarrased and left rather quickly

BG just employ a local fitter anyway, just cut out the middleman!

letmetalktomark

Yikes!

Will be shopping around!

Peter; Did the actual moving of the boiler add a lot to the bill? Thinking about getting this done in our house.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did the actual moving of the boiler add a lot to the bill?

I's hard say, to be honest. It was something we had to do anyway.

He had to reroute the gas pipe, then plumb into the house with all new pipes to the boiler and cut and fit a new flue, which I would guess is about a day or so extra work in our house.
    Going rate for a plumber is about £250-£300 a day + the extra parts, as a rough idea

st

I'd say it's got to be worth a try.

A mate of mine is a plumber and is I(and has been for a little while) tight for work whereas over the colder months he was working flat out.

DaveGr
    Free Member

The boiler scrappage scheme has closed as all the vouchers have been given out so no £400 cash back anymore.

IME it's more difficult to get plumbers in the winter as there is more work for them – whether their prices go up/down seasonaly I don't know. In the summer if it's a big job they can do it over a few days and the lack of heating won't matter – I had mine replaced this year and they did it in a day so it wasn't a problem. The quotes I got varied a lot – the firms local to me are very expensive so I got someone from further afield where the prices are cheaper but the work just as good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Central heating quotes – seasonal?’ is closed to new replies.