Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Central Heating – powerflush ?
  • iainc

We have been in current house from new, 13 yrs ago. Its a modern detached with a cheapo gas central heating system (non combi). It has microbore ? small diameter piping. Over last few years, in common with many neighbours, it has got noisy with cold spots on rads. We had a chemical flush last year while replacing a few radiators in kitchen when refitting it, which helped a bit. That plumber advised against a power flush on basis that it could make leaks at pipe joins.

Quite a few neighbours have though had theirs powerflushed with great results, by British Gas, no leaks and a guarantee. Not cheap at £600 but seriously considering it if it rejuvenates the system.

Any advice from those with experience ?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I thought Id booked a powerflush last year

The guy turned up, fitted a humungous temporary filter to my system, added some chemical goodness and returned a few days later with a bloody big mechanical bashing type thing which he then used to knock seven shades of **** out of all of our rads

After he finished he took out his industrial filter and fitted a permanent one which Id asked for
    The stuff his filter collected was pretty impressive
    My central heating is massively better although it is an old system

I had it power flushed 10 years ago and did have the concerns you mention about blowing seals and pipe joints

Im very happy with the bashy type way of doing it but dont know if its official or not, however with a 30y old system Im happy to avoid the stress of blowing it up with too much pressure

I paid 500 notes all in including having my own filter fitted

Cheers

iainc

Interesting, will research a bit more, cheers

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

If you are having flow issues, which is pointing to sediment / cold spots. A powerflush is the best way to clear it out. Just remember to keep the dosing of inhibitor going, as obviously there isn’t enough in there, as the rads are rotting and silting the system up.

divenwob
    Free Member

Google Magnacleanse (bashy technique),prepare for the usual internet conflicting reviews,I use this system as it does not increase the pressure of the system and you only need one dose of chemical.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Central Heating – powerflush ?’ is closed to new replies.