Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Central heating control system
  • Andy_K

We’re currently doing a total renovation on an old cottage and I’m wondering what people are using for their underfloor/central heating system controls.

We’re going to have:
    Underfloor heating -One zone for kitchen and one for lounge
    Rads for upstairs, hallway, and utility/downstairs loo.
    Oil fired system boiler and closed tank.

At the minute the plan is to have a thermostat for each underfloor zone, and maybe a remote 7 day timer+thermostat upstairs for the rads.

Are there any centralized controls available?

andyl
    Free Member

ooo interested in seeing the answers. I want something like Nest but it looks like you need a Nest for each zone. I would like a centralised controller with simple Nest like slave thermostats in each room. https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Does-Nest-work-with-zoned-systems

eltonerino
    Free Member

We use a Vera Edge for oil fired boiler with radiators. They radiators each have a remote controlled trv, So we can control each room individually. The playroom isn’t heated in the evening, the office isn’t heated at the weekend or evening and the bedrooms aren’t heated during the day. It was a bit of a pain to set up and crashes about once a week 🙁 If it was stable, i’d recommend it. But it isn’t, so I can’t.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a while. Im looking for full zoning of every rad/ufh zone. 12 in total. Honeywell evo is ticking all the boxes at the minute.

Bear
    Free Member

Honeywell Evo Home is probably what you will need, there are other ways if you don’t like the look of the radiator valves on the rads itself. Involves a bit more pipework but can look quite neat.

Andy_K

Yes, should probably mention that most of it is installed already with standard TRVs on the rads. I was hoping there was a nice way to tie the UFH together with the standard system

Bear
    Free Member

Then use programmable room thermostats for each zone, one each for the underfloor zones and one for the radiator zone.

You might want to remove the TRV from the rads as they will conflict with the room thermosta, especially if you go for a wireless one and move from room to room with it.

The Evohome can be retrofitted easily as it is all wireless. The only down side is the look of the rad valves.

bravesirrobin

We did exactly what you are planning about 3 years ago. We had a wet UFH 3 room/zone + existing radiator zone system installed and connected to our existing oil combi boiler …planned and supplied by Nu Heat. All zones have programmable low voltage thermostats which are linked to a network controller, which should in theory be controllable from an app/browser but because of a wiring fault has never worked quite right! There are better/smarter options these days with regards to thermostats and I have been considering installing a single Nest stat on the radiator zone. As others have said the Honeywell Evo Home system is the most flexible with the ability to turn each room with radiators into a separate zone with wireless TRVs but it’s expensive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Central heating control system’ is closed to new replies.