Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Central heating. Anyone put theirs on yet?
  • willard

Was forced into it at the weekend. My wife has not heard of jumpers. She may have had laundry to dry as well.

footflaps

Anyone else still commuting in shorts?

Wear shorts all day till about December…

phiiiiil

Ours came on last weekend for a few minutes before I turned it off again; I’m not sure why, it (a honeywell CM927) is currently turned off so should only come on below 5 degrees, and it said 18.5. I think I might start researching new controllers…

phiiiiil

Anyone else still commuting in shorts?

I’m still in short shorts now, but 3/4 length shorts can’t be far away.

Why would anyone commute in anything longer, it’s never that cold… 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

How is your solar thermal doing, Stoner? Does it shorten your heating season? I’ve just had one of the last 100% solar showers of the Summer, no cold water needed so it’ll soon need an electric top up.

rone

I’ve never got the jumpers thing – especially since good old Cameron mentioned it a few years ago; it’s no replacement for CH. You still would have to endure cold air around your head, body and feet. Cold rooms etc.

I think wearing jumpers just generally is not about comfort. A warm house is a cosy house. Having lived in the sticks for several years with no CH – I’m enjoying it now.

singletrackmind

No, Not switched it on yet .
    Still shorts and T shirt weather so no need .

relliott6879
    Free Member

We’ve got one of those Hive jobbies and it’s set to 21 degrees between 0530 and 0730 (so it’s warm when we wake up and until we go to work) and then again from 1400 to 2300 (from when Mrs Wife comes home from work and until we go to bed). As we live in Glasgow, there’s not many days it doesn’t trigger.

convert

I’ve never got the jumpers thing – especially since good old Cameron mentioned it a few years ago; it’s no replacement for CH. You still would have to endure cold air around your head, body and feet. Cold rooms etc.

I think wearing jumpers just generally is not about comfort. A warm house is a cosy house. Having lived in the sticks for several years with no CH – I’m enjoying it now.

[checks Rone’s post history having previously assumed they are a man….but after that post not so sure. 100% lady logic detected]

Caher

I did the other day when it would not stop raining – had to dry a towel.

hanchurch
    Free Member

It was on on the 6th of September when we got home from our SUMMER holiday!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nope, I was sun bathing on my patio this afternoon, try a hat you’d be surprised at how warm you will feel.

Went round to a mates, heating on he’s in his shirt and t shirt

FeeFoo
    Free Member

This +1

These threads are often more macho than the “I’m the greatest driver” threads!

I like comfort. Luckily I can afford the comfort. It’s something I’m happy to spend money on cos the whole family is happy in a comfortably warm house.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Folks liking different things/living differently it is hardly news

Are you bragging when you tell us you can afford to live in “comfort” [ or are you just suggesting i cannot afford to turn the heating on?] or just the folk who say they would wear a jumper rather than put on the central heating?
    Can I call you gentle names for this ?

Some insult those who do things differently and you are doing it whilst suggesting the others are “bragging” 🙄

Those sorts of insults are not even worthy of the playground never mind adults and folk are just giving honest answers

You like a warm house., I am very pleased for you and wont call you names for this shakes head walks away
    Is there no issue too trivial for this not to happen on here?

Stoner
    Free Member

How is your solar thermal doing, Stoner? Does it shorten your heating season? I’ve just had one of the last 100% solar showers of the Summer, no cold water needed so it’ll soon need an electric top up.

Edukator, solar thermal is still contributing but probably only 25% of demand now (4 of us in the house). At least it IS contributing. Ive changed my system a bit this season. Ive installed an immersion heater in the thermal store which means I can now top up the tank without having to fire the biomass boiler which has is v inefficient to just to DHW (it has to heat a 200litre tank in the boiler before it can move any energy into the thermal store from where DHW is drawn). So far that is working really well. It means the water at the bottom of the thermal store stays cold (it doesnt when the biomass boiler runs) and so works best with what energy the solar collector can glean.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, plesently surprised actually given there’s been frost on the ground almost every day.

rone

checks Rone’s post history having previously assumed they are a man….but after that post not so sure. 100% lady logic detected

Ahem, bog off 😉

If this was about a challenge I would out cold you all – still in shorts/Jersey for off-road commute – 30 miles a day.

But, it’s not, it’s about being comfortable at home and enjoying the mod-cons after the rough.

And all I’m saying is putting a jumper on is a stupid replacement for CH.

As for bragging about being able to turn on the CH – not buying that – he’s just come to terms with the cost! Rather than bragging in any sort of macho way. If you can’t afford to use the heating then that’s pretty miserable but given the nature of the punter on here I would imagine most could.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, I’ve added yet more insulation to the solar circuit which raised the temperature a little. It’s after the equinox that we really benefit from being further south. 23°C inside this morning, 13°C outside with over 20°C and sunny forecast for this afternoon. Three solar showers and a washing machine fill this morning but a sunny day will result in a another full tank of hot water.

convert

If this was about a challenge I would out cold you all

You really wouldn’t 🙂 (Google world ice swimming championships)

Agreed, clothes are no substitute for heating, but to not acknowledge that clothes are seasonal, even indoors (which might mean needing less CH) is generally the preserve of the lady of the house.

footflaps

it’s about being comfortable at home and enjoying the mod-cons after the rough.

I’d say it’s more about how well your house solar loads during the day. Ours is still at 20C inside when I get back from work without using the CH and it holds the heat over night as well. Hence no need to use heating and I can sit about quite comfortably in shorts. Not too bad for a solid walled Victorian house (but then we are down South).

johndoh
    Free Member

Well my wife switched it on this morning – 7.58am on the morning of October 1st and I heard the familiar ‘click, click, click’ of the radiators warming up even though it was a positively balmy 12deg outside and 18deg inside. She said it ‘takes the edge off’. Not quite sure what she is taking the edge off though.

😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m off home tonight (Yay!!!) No Mrs, Full weekend of riding, can’t wait to get my R5ca from my LBS (service) and getting my nose into my favorite hills of all time.

Il Lombardia on Sunday..

And slam that heating onto that Max Paint Melting setting…. 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Edukator – Id be surprised if you’re catching much sunshine in France at the moment. Bloody horrible weather in the HSavoie right now 🙂

Could you PM me when you can, I have a French DIY qu for you.

Edukator
    Free Member

A walk in the sunshine this morning, a sunny swim in the outdoor pool over lunchtime, the rain arrived at 17:00.

YGM

Edukator
    Free Member

14/11, that’s the latest we’ve had to wait before needing to heat. 19°C but Madame is wandering around with a blanket around her shoulders so I’ve taken the hint – the wood burner is roaring.

hugo
    Free Member

Not quite but will do soon. It was 24 degrees out earlier. Brrrr. Genuinely, it’s amazing how acclimatised you can become!

Once it gets down to 20 the gloves are coming out.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I thought I was doing okay when it started coming on a couple of weeks ago – although it hasn’t been on a lot, the place does seem to need a top-up of heat most mornings and evenings (only to 20 mind you – well maybe 20.5)

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve started firing the furnace boiler a week ago, but only to heat the boy’s toy room and do DHW. The rest of the house makes do with heat from the wood burners. No need for UFH throughout or rads yet. Still so mild.

MrSmith
    Free Member

still not put the heating on as its simply not cold enough. its been over 10º at night and very warm for november during the day so no point. flat is well insulated and a lot warmer than my GF’s victorian place with sash windows.
    nothing to do with being miserly or bravado but i cant see the point in sitting here sweating in a t-shirt with the heating on.
    as soon as night time temps drop into single figures i’ll put it on (electric storage heaters so less controllable than a gas boiler). i want to have a heated towel rail on a timer fitted and that might have been useful on a few mornings but it’s certainly not uncomfortable.

i did grow up with no heating/single glazing/non cavity walls so i guess i dont feel the cold like some people do.
    if Metcheck is to be believed then it’s going on this friday and we are due the first frost on sunday (london)

footflaps

We’ve lit the wood burner in the evenings some nights, just to keep the cats happy you understand.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m currently trying to save money by only firing up one boiler at a time. 😥

hammyuk
    Free Member

Mines been on and off a while but I’m not properly mobile yet so get **** cold easily.
    Hate my nervous system sometimes…

globalti
    Free Member

Ha ha! Thermostat wars rage in our house; all the TRVs are opened full even in the kitchen with the Aga on and the lounge with the multi-fuel blasting out heat. Mrs Gti sits huddled and shivering while I’m sweating in a T shirt. She swims three miles a week and nourishes herself on one orange, a handful or nuts and a bowl of yoghurt every day so I think she’s in permanent calorie deficit. On top of the shivering she complains that she’s exhausted all the time.

So yes, full CH every morning and evening, lounge stove and Aga on full.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Amazing how easy these things can break Global 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Ha ha! Thermostat wars rage in our house; all the TRVs are opened full even in the kitchen with the Aga on and the lounge with the multi-fuel blasting out heat.

‘s Globalti Warming innit!

MrSmith
    Free Member

GF had a hive/nest thingy fitted today. i have the login for the app 😆
    i wonder if i can set it to -drop 4º when i’m within 1 mile radius?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Central heating. Anyone put theirs on yet?’ is closed to new replies.