Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Census = Jedi?
  • Zoolander
    Free Member

I’ll stick with Jedi again. I went for it last time as I quite fancied having a religion and most of the others seemed nonsensical.

sweepy
    Free Member

Cobblers. I was going to go Pastafarian this time, but it’ll have to be No religion now

bassspine
    Free Member

what was so bad about the dark side again?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Give it a few more censuses, and I’m sure religion will become something of the past.

I think you are more likely to be a thing of the past rather than religion

the only certainties in life are death and taxes

RustySpanner

Can I post this again now?

The Saga Begins.

Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Druidh’s link is a worthwhile read. The census has serious aims.

If you complete it properly it may make a difference. Or you can stick to being a crazy world-changing rebel, when you’re not on World of Warcraft that is.

BigJohn – Member
    I will not describe myself as an atheist because that means I am defining myself in terms of something I do not beleive to exist.

Did you think that through before you typed it? 🙄
    See above…no matter how clever it makes you think you are, there is no point in completing the form incorrectly n

toys19
    Free Member

I think the ONS can safely equate Jedi with fat white anglo saxon male IT workers..

Drac

On reflection, I think I’ll be putting “no religion” then I don’t get counted when statistics say that “blah percentage of the UK have religious beliefs.”

How do those that don’t have a religion not get counted when finding out the percentage of those that do? It would be 100% if they didn’t count those without.

Kuco

I think the ONS can safely equate Jedi with fat white anglo saxon male IT workers..

LOL 🙂

MSP

I think an office full of statisticians is likely to be a hive of jedi activity.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ll be a jedi, if only because it annoys people like Al (no offence meant Al)

nasher – Member

Will they put a welsh tick box on it this time?

what about a ‘yorkshire’ option too?

pedalhead
    Free Member

hey, I’m not fat!

philconsequence
    Free Member

silly star wars fans, everyone likes to think they are:

whereas pretty much everyone i’ve met who think’s they’re the above, are actually:

EDIT – before any hardcore fans start laying into me… just looking for an excuse to post a couple of cat pictures, i’ve been distracted recently and i can only apologise for the lack of cats, thank you Drac and the others who have kept up the cats whilst i’ve been quiet. the force is strong with you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i’ll be a jedi, if only because it annoys people like Al (no offence meant Al)

None taken, in fact I’m flattered (albeit disappointedly) that I am more important in your life than the census.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m infinitely more disappointing than you could possibly imagine.

yoda
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm…………..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Now that’s the funniest thing I’ve seen (post directly above) on here in a long time.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Meh.

If you put Jedi as your religion then the ONS should really insist you no longer qualify for Christmas or Easter bank holidays…….

However, having worked as a statistician for the government (many, many years ago) I doubt it’ll make much difference.

I monitored sick absence in the Civil Service and they categorised a broken leg as a gastro-intestinal issue….. If that’s the quality of statistical output then you can put what you want.

Torminalis
    Free Member

i’ve been distracted recently and i can only apologise for the lack of cats

I managed to find the most fantastic hoers.

Drac

Now that’s the funniest thing I’ve seen (post directly above) on here in a long time.

I can’t see what’s so funny about “Hmmmmmm………….. ”

z1ppy

If you put Jedi as your religion then the ONS should really insist you no longer qualify for Christmas or Easter bank holidays…….

so everyone else who isn’t christian should be working christmas day?
    Your going to insist on that yeah?

Love to see you do that.

Yes probably put jedi again, as that about as seriously as I take religion.
    Not aged 8, as I believe all religion is complete rubbish, why shouldn’t I take the question about it seriously?

yunki
    Free Member

eurgh.. I may have to cleanse myself in the Ganges.. complete a pilgrimage to Mecca.. sacrifice a virgin and beat myself with birch fronds..

anything to take away the nauseating bitter taste that comes from agreeing with something that cynic-al has posted..
    unclean
    uncleeeeean

alexpalacefan

Non religious for me.

Religious organisations use the data provided to obtain additional influence over everybody’s lives.

The more people demonstrate that they are not religious the less power the priests will have over all of us.

Think about:
    additional funding for religious schools
    Religious interference in the laws governing marriage
    religious intolerance of homosexuality
    bishops in the House of Lords MAKING THE LAW!

Put Non Religious on census day.

Alex

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not aged 8, as I believe all religion is complete rubbish, why shouldn’t I take the question about it seriously?

You meant “should”?

If one is serious in non-belief then marking oneself as an atheist will show how many there are that have no religious beliefs.

I really cannoty see why folk struggle with this basic concept.

yunki, please stop the personal attaacks.

I’ll have to get the the Gangees too if you are agreeing with me, we’d better choose different spots – I’m going upstream though.

z1ppy

sorry my bad, yes “should”.
    I don’t believe I’m an atheist, as I would happy believe in god, if you could prove (scientifically) god existed, so am a agnostic (or believe this term covers me).

Torminalis
    Free Member

Religious organisations use the data provided to obtain additional influence over everybody’s lives.

If putting Jedi means more research will go into lightsabers then I am there.

RustySpanner

yunki, please stop the personal attaacks.

But I thought it was all just a laugh and not to be taken seriously? Isn’t that what you keep telling us?

And it’s ‘attacks’, seeing as you’re in pedant mode.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

so everyone else who isn’t christian should be working christmas day?
    Your going to insist on that yeah?

Sadly the government won’t allow me that power (spoil sports).

But the sentiment is something I stand by.

We used to have a big Christmas do each year at work. Free food, free wine, etc. We have a significant number of Muslims at work who then complained that we supplied free wine at each table (and water) but no other soft drinks, and this was in contradiction to their religious beliefs.

The then site head gave the response that if they were so worried about religious beliefs they probably shouldn’t bother coming to a Christmas celebration…..

Anyway – we get off topic.

Putting Jedi down makes no difference to anything. You may as well say you worship an idol made from lego.

It’s like the rest of the census – it’s pretty much a waste of time. It captures a snapshot of what people want to answer, rather than the facts. It’s an outdated measure of population – but then that’s just the stato-geek in me talking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty – it’s a ****-take, as the target hopefully realises (though many apparently don’t).

RustySpanner

Rusty – it’s a ****-take, as the target hopefully realises (though many apparently don’t).

Ah, the TJ defence.

epicyclo

Just remember your great grand children may be reading your answers one day….

crankboy
    Free Member

“If you put Jedi as your religion then the ONS should really insist you no longer qualify for Christmas or Easter bank holidays…….”

If you put Christian on your religion you should apologise for stealing Christmas and Easter and celebrate the true Christian festivals at the right time. Just because you stole them off a then more popular religion does not make them yours.

Also if asked religion for any reason that will not distort government thinking I would say Pasterfarian as that is a far more articulate rebuff to those who have invisible friends. But for the census if I decide to fill it in then I will tell the truth and say humanist as funding and policy are justified by the census results. The census is being run buy a US company that has an American legal requirement to release the results to the CIA. Make your own minds up if that last bit is paranoid conspiracy theory just a fact of life or an exaggeration.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m going to put “sanctimonious atheist” on mine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty, the TJ defence is not a term that should be used here (seriously).

If you can’t see that yunki and I have banter, particularly after his clearly ****-taking post, well, I’ll leave you to it, good luck.

Cougar

How do those that don’t have a religion not get counted when finding out the percentage of those that do? It would be 100% if they didn’t count those without.

I’ve read this six times now and I’m still not sure I’m parsing it correctly. However, I’ll try and explain where I’m coming from.

Say for argument, 33% of respondants put “no religion”, 33% put “jedi” and 33% put “christian.” Now, what this really shows is that a third of the populace are religious and two thirds are not – the “jedis” are atheists who are attempting to mock religion. (Ok, there’s probably a handful of people in there who genuinely believe that they’re jedis, but hopefully their carer will help them fill in the form correctly.)

However. Statistically, it’s possible to say “two thirds of the country hold religious beliefs” on the back of this data; by putting jedi on your form you’re actually skewing the data in favour of the very thing you’re passively protesting about.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

If you put Christian on your religion you should apologise for stealing Christmas and Easter and celebrate the true Christian festivals at the right time. Just because you stole them off a then more popular religion does not make them yours.

True – the Christians did steal the dates from the Pagans (amongst others). But if you believe in Christianity then celebrating his birthday etc is understandable – and does it really matter when?

Perhaps the question should be “What religion do you actually practice?”. I guess if people do walk the streets in hooded robes with a flourescent tube in hand then Jedi is fine 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’m going to put “sanctimonious atheist” on mine.

+1 or “Extremist Atheist”

Like some of the above comments I have issues with the term “atheist” as it tries to define you in terms of religion.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

However. Statistically, it’s possible to say “two thirds of the country hold religious beliefs” on the back of this data; by putting jedi on your form you’re actually skewing the data in favour of the very thing you’re passively protesting about.

Hmmmm….

Statgeek mode on. Well, stats can say anything about anything really. The religion question is one of the more ambiguous ones on the census as religious belief cannot be truly measured.

For instance I could say I was an Ultra Orthodox Jew (I’m not). The Census group cannot disprove this. But if I lie about my age, sex, number of kids – they can check.

So the data about religion has limited use, and, to be frank, is something harking back to historical censuseseses (censi?).

As the government have announced it’s ‘ok’ to put jedi – then, to be honest, it’s pretty embarrassing to do so…..

crankboy
    Free Member

“if you believe in Christianity then celebrating his birthday etc is understandable – and does it really matter when?”

Yes because we keep getting pleas from Christians that get in the way of the true spirit of Sol Invictus and Easter let us focus on sex and drink and fun at the right time, and they can focus on piety, guilt, canabalisam, death and rebirth in the clouds at the right time if they can work out when that actually is.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

But Crankboy, the Christians celebrating one religion doesn’t stop you celebrating another 🙂

I have religious beliefs older than Christianity myself. I celebrate Yule and not Christmas – but I don’t care that the Christians choose to stand and be pious on the 25/12 each year.

It actually makes me giggle that the vast majority of Christians don’t really understand that they’re celebrating Pagan festivals. This is where we dip into the difference between beliefs and religions. Religions tell you what to do, when to do it – beliefs are more personal. It’s why I’ve chosen not to be part of an organised religion – but rather choose my own beliefs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Census = Jedi?’ is closed to new replies.