Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cellar/basement – what to do when a full conversion is too expensive
  • Riofer
    Free Member

My cellar is reasonably clean and not too damp but the walls are a bit crumbly and flakey and the ceiling is exposed floor beams. whilst I would love to get it tanked and have 5* accomodation for my bikes I expect the cost rules that out.

Is there any half way house cheaper alternative, otherwise any suggestions for keeping the damp and dirt from the walls in check? What have others done to make the best of their cellars?

Cheers

Rio

stonemonkey
    Free Member

maybe buy a dehunidifier, i wouldnt cover the walls as i would rather be able to see the problem as opposed to cover it . maybe just put some plywood or mdf boards on the ceiling but make sure you can get easy access to pipes / electrics etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Paint the walls with ”damp proof paint?

alexpalacefan

I would be VERY wary of putting any damp proofing on the walls. That moisture is wicking up from the sub-soil. If it can’t escape through the basement walls it will travel up to above the damp-proofing, ie into the above living accomodation.

Why not leave an old chain down there for a couple of weeks, if no rust forms it should be OK as is.

A

crikey
    Free Member

Worked for Mr. Fritzl….

Riofer
    Free Member

thanks for the replies – I think I’ll just board the ceiling for now and try leaving a chain down there to see what happens.

antigee

masonary paint on the walls (contains antifungal but shouldn’t keep moisture in)
    the 1m square/12mm thick rubber interlocking tiles you can buy from maplin on the floor stop damp coming up and are good for a workshop
    a dehumidifier is almost essential
    and don’t leave stuff like in cardboard boxes against the walls

worked for me for a few years – will probably tank it one day but is a bit on the low side so never sure if worth doing meanwhile I slum it

Brother_Will
    Free Member

How about a room within a room? Obviously depends on space but a wood frame with clear plastic sheeting should keep the moisture out while being a cheaper alternative to tanking? There would be an air gap of course to allow the walls space the breathe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What is the difference between tanking it and using waterproof paint? If the waterproof pain might allow damp to go higher surely tanking it would as well

Free Member

Tanking it allows the cellar structure to breathe – something it MUST do, stop it breathing and water WILL come in somewhere else/cause further damage

As I understand it, tanking the structure allows the walls to continue to let the moisture in, and then drain it away.

I don’t fit cellars, but have fitted them out with luvverly home cinema kit, naturally needing a dry environment.

Riofer
    Free Member

Jontawn

Your home cinema expertese may be able to help me with another question I posted

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-tv-salesmen-on-here

Thanks

Rio

Free Member

err – i’m not a TV salesman either … *shakes head and coughs* ;o) haha!!

although just replied to you.

hope you get your cellar sorted out 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cellar/basement – what to do when a full conversion is too expensive’ is closed to new replies.