Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Celeron Processors – any good?…
  • the-muffin-man

This Dell laptop link cropped up on another thread…

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53102&model_id=inspiron-15-3531-laptop

It does looking stonking value for money! But are Celeron Dual Core processors and good? Or do they struggle with Windows 8.

It would just be used for browsing, streaming and a bit of photo editing.

I was thinking of getting a Chromebook, but this seems to good to miss.

Ta!

z1ppy

I’d be interested to know if ppl think they are ok?
    Historically they’ve been shite, and what little experience I’ve had with new hardware of late (not much) suggested I wouldn’t even go for a i3 let alone something less powerful.
    BTW I’m not saying i3 are rubbish but as they seemingly struggle with Win8 now, they’re not going to age well.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Based on this CPU Benchmark score it would like be travelling back in time about 6-7 years in pc terms.
    I’d avoid it like the plague

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve always found Celeron processors to be slow and really bottom of the pile in terms of performance.

the-muffin-man

Not a ringing endorsement then!

Ta

xiphon
    Free Member

Cellies are the bottom of the pile – and their target market is word processing desktop PCs/laptops, destined for the office environment.

So in that respect, they are very good at what their supposed to do.

the-muffin-man

Doesn’t sound like it would cope with Minecraft then!

ryderredman
    Free Member

You’d probably get away with that minecraft-lite version though

takisawa2

It would be fine for what you want it for.

This is an IT forum.
    Of course it will get frowned on.

spacehopper

id rather put a stick of celery in the cpu socket than a celeron.

they’re bottom of the line processors and rubbish.

do yourself a favour and buy something a bit better.. it’ll run much faster and two years down the line you are much less likely to throw it out of the window as it slowly, haplessly, chugs along at a snails pace.

Earl
    Free Member

I’ve been running a celeron in my desktop for the last 2 years. It was the cheapest dual core celeron at the time. Onboard graphics. 4gb ram. The harddrive is a slow one too – 5400rpm.

Its been fine for browsing, word processing, kids internet games, streaming, I don’t photo/video process much. Responds faster than my 6mth old acer chromebook (cb’s rock btw – cant live with out it).

What does slow it down is usage and all the stuff that gets loaded onto it. Every year or so I reinstall (win7 at the mo) and it goes back to being quick.

That said – with all the Dell bloatware – the laptop will probably be painfully slow.

Earl
    Free Member

ok

my old Celeron G550 looks like a desktop processor and gives 2300

the Celeron N2830 above might be a mobile processor and gives 1000

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not that big of a deal tbh. They are maybe like a 1.0l Renault Clio, whereas an i7 is a like an AMG Mercedes. But the Clio will get you to the shops and to work just fine.

Most people aren’t flogging their cars round Le Mans flat out, just as most people aren’t using their i7s to their full capability.

The term ‘Celeron’ was used for quite a long time so it covers a fair range of speeds I reckon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait.. a laptop is £200 and you’re worried it’s not perfect? 😯

Lucky to get anything at all at that price tbh. It’s going to have the absolute cheapst possible version of everything in it, so only suitable for people who need the cheapest possible.

If you can find any extra money at all it’ll be very well spent in terms of build quality and reliability. However as above, the CPU will be adequate 🙂

slowoldman

As molgrips says it’s a 200 quid laptop!! A celeron is OK for basic surfing, office apps etc. At least you get 4Gb of RAM which is good. I’m tempted to buy one just to run the last piece of Windows software I have, since my current Windows laptop is on the way out.

hot_fiat

We sell what? (Looks at price book) 😯

Good God!

I suspect that boot up time will be pitifully slow. And as soon as you install any sort of anti-virus it’ll grind to a halt.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Celeron Processors – any good?…’ is closed to new replies.