Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Celebs: When is work not actually work?
  • mooman
    Free Member

With the passing of Bruce Forsyth – and reading how long he worked for. I wonder – do you consider it really working doing the kind of celeb job he did?
    Is it working or simply still being in the limelight?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess you need to know how long you are hanging about and doing retakes for to make a 1hr show really. How much time in prep and all that.

Cougar

Quite.

Besides, he was still “working” two decades past retirement age.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As above it’s a proper job.

We worked on this crap 1hr live TV production over Xmas headed by Edmonds – total pre production time was about 3 months for the production crew – Noel was on set about 2 days.

For Brucie, working on something like that dancing show even though it’s one day a week I would guess 2/3 days a week of long days.

geoffj

P-Jay. Cheap Cheap Cheap?

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I guess you need to know how long you are hanging about and doing retakes for to make a 1hr show really. How much time in prep and all that.

If I learned one thing from the thread about BBC presenters wages, it’s that celebities just show up, say their bits and leave. And of course anyone could do that without any training, practice or relevant experience.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@geoffj

Nah this turd.

TV Turd

It was like swap shop for adults, we did the phone system and some IT infrastructure. I’ve added it to the list of “jobs I wish I never agreed to”.

I’m told Noel’s got a massive contract with C4 post ‘Deal or no Deal’ worth a fortune, but there’s some sort of 3 strikes and your out clause – 3 goes to come up with another hit show – Sell or Swap was 1, Cheap cheap cheap is 2, I haven’t seen it but I’m told it’s crap – maybe C4 are trying to vomit out 3 turkeys to be free of him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And of course anyone could do that without any training, practice or relevant experience.

I’m sure people say the same about the 21hrs or 3 day training course I deliver a bit, it misses the prep, years of experience, time spent in the evening tweaking stuff and answering extra questions etc.

We now seem to live in a society that only values what can be seen on the surface.

newrobdob
    Free Member

By all accounts Bruce was a real professional, used to practice and practice and prepare till he had it perfectly. Bloke on R4 this morning said as much, but he also had a genius of being able to ad-lib on top of all that practice.

The big names put in huge amounts of time polishing theirs acts, especially in the early years. It’s not easy.

ahsat

My brother is a producer for the BBC but also appears in front of the mic or camera. It’s a lot of work. There is so much prep, long hours etc. 8 minute piece of VT might take 2 days to film at various locations, plus meetings before and voice overs after. Celebs who are famous for just existing, different matter, but professionals like Bruce work hard. I guess the difference is the pay means they don’t have to work 5 days a week for 35 weeks of the year if they don’t want.

mooman
    Free Member

But when is a job – not a job; in so much as a professional cyclist needs to do hours of gruelling training each week … it’s a very tough job, but it’s a job most weekend warrior cyclist would jump at and the big money is a bonus.

Full respect to Brucey – he was a big part of my TV growing up.

jambourgie
    Free Member

We worked on this crap 1hr live TV production over Xmas headed by Edmonds

Is Edmonds still at large? 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Celebs: When is work not actually work?’ is closed to new replies.