Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 'Celebs' getting abused on twitter
  • tomkerton
    Free Member

Whilst I abhor racism, death threats and all the reported abuse, and I firmly believe online threats should be prosecuted there is a simple way for anyone who doesn’t want to receive this abuse on twitter not to receive it.

Delete your account. It’s not a requirement for life. Deactivate your account and don’t look on it or use it. Let the weird fat people who troll and abuse do their thing without you. I used twitter for a year or so and now I don’t. My life hasn’t changed, actually I have more time to do other things.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I agree. If you’re getting similar levels of abuse on the street, then it’s best to just stay in. That way, it won’t happen.

Jamie
    Free Member

Let the weird fat people who troll and abuse do their thing without you.

Man. Fatties, like their Mars bars, are taking a battering again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Twitter is stupid a passing phase and one day will be a distance memory….. sooner rather than later.

GrahamS

Delete your account. It’s not a requirement for life.

True, but if you are a celebrity, even a C-lister, then it may be a requirement of your career.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And if somebody hurled abuse at you in here would you just pack up and go?

GrahamS

Twitter is stupid a passing phase and one day will be a distance memory….. sooner rather than later.

Like Facebook. Launched ten years ago and completely forgotten now…

😉

PrinceJohn

Delete your account. It’s not a requirement for life. Deactivate your account and don’t look on it or use it. Let the weird fat people who troll and abuse do their thing without you. I used twitter for a year or so and now I don’t. My life hasn’t changed, actually I have more time to do other things.

Letting bullies win should never be an option. I follow Gary Lineker on twitter & some of the abuse he occasionally retweets about him & his son is abhorrent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mikewsmith, screw you. And the horse you rode in on.

tomkerton
    Free Member

But that’s my point PrinceJohn, Mr Lineker doesn’t have to be on twitter (he doesn’t need the exposure!) I used to follow him too. It’s revolting what people write but…. he could save himself the grief by deleting his account.

tomkerton
    Free Member

@Jamie – tell me I’m wrong. Whenever a ‘troll’ gets done and is shown leaving court he/she is always fat and pasty.

tomhoward

And if somebody hurled abuse at you in here would you just pack up and go?

Plenty have…

DD +1

Jamie
    Free Member

…is always fat and pasty.

Assume the missing words there are ‘holding’ and ‘a’?

DezB
    Free Member

How in the hell would they let people know all the minutae of their fascinating lives?
    How would they make themselves feel important and interesting?
    How in the hell would they make the national news if they didn’t have anything to complain about?
    Get real man.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Assume the missing words there are ‘holding’ and ‘a’?

Binners?

samuri
    Free Member

yeah but Stan’s a real bloke isn’t he? He doesn’t post anonymous threats on twitter, he smashes women in the face and threatens to kill them and burn their houses down in real life. Nowt wrong with that, eh stan?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that, eh stan?

I don’t think he reads STW.

I hear he is on Twitter, though.

matt_outandabout

http://storify.com/EverydaySexism/sky-sports-news-live-q-and-a-with-beth-tweddle-twi/slideshow

Sad state of the world we live in.
    Mind, some people in my (shared with other organisations) office seem as vindictive and vile.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

yeah but Stan’s a real bloke isn’t he? He doesn’t post anonymous threats on twitter, he smashes women in the face and threatens to kill them and burn their houses down in real life. Nowt wrong with that, eh stan?

I don’t think that’s what he’s being abused (deserved as it may be) about though is it?

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t think he reads STW.

Banned for arguing with TJ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Banned for arguing with TJ?

It’s STW’ers biggest killer 🙁

maccruiskeen

here is a simple way for anyone who doesn’t want to receive this abuse

you’re confusing ‘simple’ with ‘simplistic’

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

How in the hell would they let people know all the minutae of their fascinating lives?
    How would they make themselves feel important and interesting?
    How in the hell would they make the national news if they didn’t have anything to complain about?

They could join STW?

somafunk

matt_outandabout : Every single one of those tweets/tweeters should have been confronted by a camera crew with Beth in person asking them if they’d care to repeat their response to her face, there’s very few things that get me riled up but bullies, whether that be in person or hiding behind a keyboard deserve to be ridiculed en-masse.

Pigface
    Free Member

Todays edition of the Sun has jumped on the Stan bandwagon. Some things I dont understand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What don’t you understand piggie?

hora
    Free Member

Delete your account

You know to continue getting work some of the celebs have to keep their profile up in many mediums, appearances etc etc.

Twitter isn’t a bad thing but boy some of the idiots that attack people on there. Not ‘bullies’ at school. Almost the failed bullies who physically are inept.

Pigface
    Free Member

DD it’s a long list 😳

winston_dog
    Free Member

Didn’t he have some mental health issues/depression?

On STW, as he’s a footballer then he’s fair game what ever the true story is. I bet he even drives a car badly as well.

Burn him! Burn him!

hora
    Free Member

Oh he has previous (caught) form. Twice.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh he has previous (caught) form. Twice.

Your point hora?

ransos
    Free Member

Whilst I abhor racism, death threats and all the reported abuse, and I firmly believe online threats should be prosecuted there is a simple way for anyone who doesn’t want to receive this abuse on twitter not to receive it.

I’m thinking of sealing up my letterbox, in case someone sends me a poison pen letter.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw an interview with a boxer yesterday – after his last fight the other boxer was hospitalised with a blood clot on the brain.
    Boxer said he got abused on Facebook (probably Twitter as well) – people (if you can call them that) saying it was his fault. Unbelievable what these sadsacks will do behind the anonymity of the internet.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I firmly believe that all bad driving towards cyclists and abusive drivers should be prosecuted, but there’s a very simple way for cyclists not get run over or abused on the roads – don’t cycle. It’s not a requirement of life, you can always drive or walk.

It’s not a very good argument is it?

Stan, or anyone else who gets abuse should block all the posters and report them to Twitter and the police. Twitter aren’t handing over users details? Fair enough I reckon, I wouldn’t want my details handed over without a court order.

I used twitter for a year or so and now I don’t. My life hasn’t changed, actually I have more time to do other things.

How much time were you spending on Twitter? I find I spend no more than about 5 minuets at a time, a few times a day. I find it a really good resource for finding news, opinion etc that I might not otherwise find. It’s a great tool, but like other public forums (including this one) and ‘real life’ it has its fair share of ****.

rewski
    Free Member

Philomena’s (from Charlie Brooker Weekly Wipe) view on Twitter is pretty spot on at 06:45

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbjeJkENDo[/video]

samuri
    Free Member

Didn’t he have some mental health issues/depression?

I’ve had mental health issues and depression all my life. I’ve never hit a woman in the face or threatened to kill someone and burn their house down though. To be honest, when you have depression it’s a struggle to go to the toilet never mind going about with flaming torches.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve had mental health issues and depression all my life. I’ve never hit a woman in the face or threatened to kill someone and burn their house down though. To be honest, when you have depression it’s a struggle to go to the toilet never mind going about with flaming torches.

I imagine the symptoms of mental issues all being the same, must make it much easier to treat.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’ve never hit a woman in the face or threatened to kill someone and burn their house down though.

I thought it was a very complex and personal issue, affecting everyone differently?

I am trying to justify his behaviour but he definitely comes across as someone who has “faced his demons” and tried top address his problems.

andyrm
    Free Member

Social media is an essential part of an company or commercial entity’s marketing mix these days – and a celebrity (of whatever genre) is a commercial & marketable commodity. Not using social media makes them less viable relative to their competition and reduces their earning potential & value.

It’s wrong on both a moral and commercial level that people should be able to abuse people or companies on social media or anywhere else.

I always think the acceptability criteria should be never email or post something you wouldn’t say within punching distance of the target and their mates, or would walk into their local and shout out loud. Just because you have the safety of a screen doesn’t remove the need to be civil, decent and have some respect.

samuri
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not justifying the abuse he’s getting, I think that’s abhorrent. It’s his expectation that’s not appropriate. On crimewatch!!?? Really? (Although I accept this may not have been his decision)

Someone nearly, actually killed me this morning. If I hadn’t have made a last second check I’d be dead now. Crimewatch? They’d laugh their heads off.

Anyway, he’s quit Twitter now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘'Celebs' getting abused on twitter’ is closed to new replies.