Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Celebrity premature death
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Just like so many former pro cyclists from the 90s who have died young of heart failure, the current crop of celebrity premature deaths from this year alone cannot surely be a coincidence.

I mean look at the numbers:

Prince 57
    David Bowie 69
    Carrie Fisher 60
    Alan Rickman 69
    George Michael 53
    Rick Parfit 68
    Pete Burns 52
    Caroline Aherene 52
    Victoria Wood 62
    David Gest 62
    Terr Wogan 77
    Paul Daniels 77
    Ronnie Corbet 85
    Muhamed Ali 77
    Leonard Cohen 82
    Robert Vaughn 83
    Andrew Sachs 86
    A. A. Gill 69
    Average Age 69

I wonder when the real story of celebrity (premature) death is going to get written? I’ve taken out the obvious outliers such as Anton Yelchin and Zsa Zsa Gabor but still the average life expectancy for your high profile celebrity falls pretty short of the average for the whole population.

I though George Michael and Prince were fabulous human beings but they’ve harldy died of old age have they. At what point does someone in the press write the story that connects celebrity with a chilling correlation to premature death? I wonder what could possibly be the reason.

anagallis_arvensis

86 is premature? Great

geetee1972
    Free Member

86 is premature? Great

Er, average age is 69 of that list.

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxHYHPzs7s[/video]

that or too many mince pies drugs and hookers

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The common link is obviosuly death, I do believe that death is normally fatal.
    Stay away from death kids, it’ll kill you.

maxtorque

Apparently, becoming a celebrity, doesn’t make you immortal. Who knew, eh!

geetee1972
    Free Member

The common link is obviosuly death, I do believe that death is normally fatal.

The common link in that set is high profile celebrity, unfortunately there isn’t a larger set that the one above to get us to the magic number of 30. The average life expectancy still seems pretty low. The common link between all deaths is 81 in the UK, 83 in Japan and 78 in the USA.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wonder when the real story of celebrity (premature) death is going to get written?

What do you mean real story?

We haven’t been told the truth – there’s been more celebrity deaths that we don’t know about?

geetee1972
    Free Member

That celebrity isn’t quite what it’s cracked up to be. We plaster that news with messages that reinforce celebrity and celebrity lifestyle and yet all these celebrities end up dying so young. Hardly a recruitment poster for the human race is it.

Seriously, is anyone really thinking that George Michael, Prince, Carrie Fisher, David Bowie etc died of old age? We have imbeclilles like Trump getting elected to POTAS at 70 and yet someone like George Michael, who by all accounts was both an angel and a tourtured soul shuffling off at 53 as a result of life style factors. Why can’t the idiots like Trump be the ones to over indulge in poor choices?

hammyuk
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Er, average age is 69 of that list.

Not a bad number that…..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not a bad number that…..

Without including Richard Adams at 96 and Liz Smith at 95 though.

Do you really think that Marco Pantani and George

How old was geetee1972? 😐

Klunk
    Free Member

the government is bumping them off early before they can squirrel away their riches into offshore trust funds.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Without including Richard Adams at 96 and Liz Smith at 95 though.

I excluded the outliers and the ones that most people haven’t heard of.

somafunk

And now carrie fisher has died at 60

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Rock and Roll is definitely hazardous to your health

An academic study published recently confirms that rock and pop musicians are more likely to die prematurely than the general population, and finds that solo artists are twice as likely to die young as members of bands.
    Researchers from Liverpool John Moores University and Britain’s Health Department studied 1,489 rock, pop, punk, R&B, rap, electronica and New Age stars who became famous between 1956 and 2006 — from Elvis Presley to the Arctic Monkeys.
    They found that 137 of the stars, or 9.2 percent, had died, representing “higher levels of mortality than demographically matched individuals in the general population.”
    The researchers dismissed the “fanciful but unsubstantiated” popular myth that rock stars tend to die at age 27 — as Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse all did. The average age of death was 45.2 years for North American stars and 39.6 for European ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yet you included Gest…..

km79
    Free Member

but still the average life expectancy for your high profile celebrity falls pretty short of the average for the whole population.

How about all the other high profile ones still alive? How do they factor into your life expectancy calculation?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Aah right!
    Can’t help you then. 8)

zippykona

[video]https://youtu.be/b3LdMAqUMnM[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

Makes you think!

Apparently amphetamines are known to cause long term heart problems* so that may account for some of those who may have dabbled in the past, and smoking and drinking are rumoured to be bad for longevity, but I doubt that the sample above proves anything.

*Source – MrsMC, who is spending too much time supporting families with parents who have abused one thing or the other recently. And she is NEVER wrong.

anagallis_arvensis

You havent included the old still alive celebs though I notice so ermmmm…well

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Think I’ll stick to Blues and Jazz

shermer75
    Free Member

So how do you explain the Rolling Stones? 😉

legend
    Free Member

This is a thread worthy of the Daily Mash

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Hardly a recruitment poster for the human race is it.

Oh I don’t know…….if you’re a hamster you’d be lucky to live to be 3 years old.

km79
    Free Member

Think I’ll stick to Blues and Jazz

It’s no surprise that the young deaths are at the newer genre of music end of the graph. I don’t suppose there are many 90 year old rap artists on the go. Come back in 50 years or so and it will even out somewhat.

vinnyeh

Am I the only one that thinks that uponthedowns chart is a bit odd, lacking something?

zilog6128

I though George Michael and Prince were fabulous human beings but they’ve harldy died of old age have they.

[quote]I wonder what could possibly be the reason.[/quote]Err… drugs? Or am I under-thinking it?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yes the data is confounded with the age of the genre which explains the low average for Rap but Rock and Roll and Pop has been around since the 50’s so I reckon up to that point age of the genre may not be that much of a factor.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

This is why I keep coming back to this place 😆

andyl
    Free Member

An X axis for the US male and female life expectancy lines?

docgeoffyjones

You really need to do the same calculation for non famous people who died in 2016 to base line your findings and because you have far to much time on your hands.

Klunk
    Free Member
    docgeoffyjones

Am I the only one that thinks that uponthedowns chart is a bit odd, lacking something?

It does not states whether or not it assumes Tupac is dead?

slowoldman

An X axis for the US male and female life expectancy lines?

Or some explanation of what they represent.
    Oh, classical music too. I believe it is still a genre.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Genius . Take a bunch of celebrity deaths , exclude those who were really old when they died and what you are left with is a group who died before the their time if you average their ages at time of death .

shermer75
    Free Member

That graph has chosen to use a plan view of Chas from Chas’n’Dave as it’s background 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

So how do you explain the Rolling Stones?

The exceptions that prove the rule.

shermer75
    Free Member

Genius . Take a bunch of celebrity deaths , exclude those who were really old when they died and what you are left with is a group who died before the their time if you average their ages at time of death

When did this happen?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t honestly see any correlation to celebz n death.

Humans are a fickle blob.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Celebrity premature death’ is closed to new replies.