Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Celebrity comments on Social media – how many faked by PR people?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

‘Celebrity’ quotes from FB or twitter. Anyone know how many are posted by the actual celebrity/sports person and how many are just faked by a sponsoring company or by a PR representative employed by the celebrity?

Just wondered as posts always seem to be taken as genuine and it seems to me unlikely that there is no delegation of the PR work, especially as now a lot of ‘product advertising’ can be found ‘hidden’ in such posts.

allthegear
    Free Member

I write all mine. 😉

Rachel

trailmonkey

sorry, got to filed under – ‘who cares’

julianwilson
    Free Member

I forget where but I read in a newspaper recently that lots of terribly busy politicians don’t have time to tweet their own, er, tweets and trust someone to do it for them quite a lot.

Margaret Thatcher was tweeting until about two weeks before she died. For someone her age with her mental faculties near the end of her life, that is either highly impressive (if it was her) or quite depressing (if it wasn’t).

warton
    Free Member

Joey Bartons tweets are by a PR when they’re about Nitezsche, and by him when he’s insulting and threatening people.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I suppose I am less curious about the celebrities than the fact that so few everyday people seem to question the actual source of celebrity quotes. People seem to take them at face value, social chat, rather than just part of the publicity mill of staying in the limelight or getting paid to mention products. Its interesting that people are so trusting.

withersea
    Free Member

‘Trusting’ or ‘dim’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was a couple of years back when the whole british DH scene were doing everything in their **** Sport Vans, which were awesome for making tea with and stuff, but to be fair they did seem to get cheap vans and some track days…
    For a while people felt the need (had no idea how to change it) to include “Sent From my incredibly expensive [name of smartphone] I iz Awesome like” on all their emails just to prove that they could be mobile.

In the end of the day life is a little depressing when you realise nobody does anything without a motive and a reason these days but hey thats just the modern world.
    Anyway I shall just kick back in my super comfy LAZYBOY recliner, crack open a refreshing bottle of LONDON PRIDE and use my new WINDOWS phone to turn on the MICROSOFT media centre on my stunning new 54″ SONY 3d HD TV.

mrmoofo

I would guess about 90% come from PR. Like stylists to dress them, and PA to get them to where they need to be, I doubt many of the more thoughtful comments even enter the heads of the vacous mannekins that the redtops love.
    However with Helen Flannigan, I geniunely this she is so stupid and so empty headed , that no one else could possibly stand in for her.

Cougar

I think it depends who you follow; I’d be interested to see stats but I suspect 90% might be a rash overestimate.

I’d expect it to be true for the sort of prima donna ‘stars’ who regularly grace the cover of Heat, but I’d be shocked if any of the people I follow do it by proxy. Stephen Fry, Dara O’Briain as two random examples, are certainly both them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can confirm that Ian Dennis from BBC sport mans his own Twitter 🙂

Michael Smith ?@Smithmichaelw 11 Jul
    £10m Newcastle bid to buy Andy Carroll back cannot be ruled out http://Belfasttelegraph.co.uk http://shar.es/tsFbD @iandennisbbc @bbcsport
    Expand
    Ian Dennis ?@Iandennisbbc 11 Jul
    @Smithmichaelw Alan Pardew big admirer but doubt club would sign him back on his current terms though Michael
    Expand
    Michael Smith ?@Smithmichaelw 11 Jul
    @Iandennisbbc very true but a never say never,impressed that you reply to your tweets-either that or there is an Ian Dennis office at theBBC
    Expand Reply Delete Favorite More
    Ian Dennis ?@Iandennisbbc 12 Jul
    @Smithmichaelw Not always possible but I try to reply when I can and believe me no such office exists!
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
    1:44 AM – 12 Jul 12 · Details

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Reckon the world would be a better place if 99% of them were.

Harry_the_Spider

Double post

Harry_the_Spider

I’m fairly sure that Paddy Considine writes his own.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone know how many are posted by the actual celebrity/sports person and how many are just faked by a sponsoring company or by a PR representative employed by the celebrity?

Let me just retrieve my figures for you…

Oh hang on, there aren’t any figures because they don’t admit it if they don’t do their own Twitter/FB updates.

While I don’t have any insider info, I do have a professional interest in this subject and I actually reckon most “celeb” Twitter feeds are done by the celebs themselves.

People aren’t daft and don’t have much time for PR-managed Twitter feeds. FB is more likely to be delegated IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

I write all my own too

Rachel

FWIW, it’s not usually too difficult to spot is it so you can get a feel for yourself and it varies massively. IME sports celebrities tend to write their own most of the time (and get in trouble for it 🙂 )

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

There’s a whole industry around it these days. All based around gaining the best SEO and rankings. As a company we invest a fair bit in social media ourselves and would guess that any celebrity wishing to enhance their personal rankings would be looking at employing an agency.

I guess it depends on whether the celebrity in question cares about their search rankings or is genuinely wanting to connect to their followers.

chakaping
    Free Member

and get in trouble for it

Twitter has been a godsend for journalists, and is probably a nightmare for PR people.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I wrote all of Rachel’s tweets until last week…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Celebrity comments on Social media – how many faked by PR people?’ is closed to new replies.