• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ceiling fans in this weather – worth it or just buy a fan?
  • sadexpunk

stuffy nights mean my wife is asking whether its worth installing a ceiling fan/light combo in the bedroom.

no idea, but i know who might 😉 so……are they worthwhile or does the faff involved mean id be better off just plugging in a fan when it gets too stuffy?

a possible issue could be altering the wiring, the lighting circuit would need to be upped to proper mains leccy i assume.

anyone got any advice on this? and if theyre worth installing, what considerations should i look at? number of blades, blade length, speeds, remote controls, that sort of thing.

thanks

somouk
    Free Member

The room I was in out in the US had one and it was great for keep the air moving during the night. They are generally quieter than your average fan as they have bigger blades so move slower which means it’s not too hard to sleep with them on.

Just bare in mind they will sit lower than your average light so may reduce head height if it’s not over a bed or similar and they also collect a lot of dust.

footflaps

We use a large fan on hot nights. Being portable is more flexible e.g. I can take it into the workshop / gym if I’m training in there.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I think to be effective you need it to draw air into the room. So needs windows open to allow airflow.
    Edit.. had my rotation directions backwards, but I still think a portable makes more sense as above

ant77
    Free Member

I have one…

Took a fair bit of effort installing it as I needed to clear the loft space to access from above to create a bracket as it would be sitting between joists. Didn’t uprate the lighting circuit. Sparky has signed off the house and advised me on the rose wiring so guessing that’s ok.

One of the best house mods I’ve done now it’s in!

Just sits there quietly spinning away. Has a remote as well which controls the dim of the light as well as the 3 speeds.
    Generally for sleeping it’s on 1. Last night it was on 2.
    When I get in from a hot ride it’s a cold shower then stand under it on 3…

Is very big in the room though.

alexpalacefan

Had one in the last house, fantastic. Got the sparky coming to fit one here next week.

Wouldn’t be without one now.

APF

prawny

Had one in a holiday let in Spain once, loved it and every time it gets hot I think about getting one in here. But then forget about it until next time it’s hot.

jimdubleyou

I wouldn’t want to compromise the room decor for a problem that exists for about 1/50th of the year.

We have a pedestal fan that can go in the shed in the winter.

Cougar

I like mine. Didn’t upgrade anything, just swapped the light fitting. Top tip, remember to dust it before you switch it on for the first time in ten months.

Jason
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be without one. It only gets used a few weeks a year, but when it is needed it is great. In our last house I fitted a fairly cheap B&Q one, in my current house I have a slightly more expensive Westingham one. The Westingham fan is really quiet, to the point that on setting 1 you can hardly hear it.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yep, definitely remember to dust them.

project
    Free Member

They are good, just remember its there and working if you stand on the bed .chair step ladder etc or youre exceptionally tall etc, a young child had her head split open locally and got thrown across the room after being walked into a shop on her dads shoulders.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

There was an interesting bit on Radio 2 (Simon Mayo), a scientist saying the worst place for a fan is up high as it just blows warm air (that rises) back down into the room.

Ideally, you need to extract the warm air from the room and replace with cooler air.

But I think any fan is better than no fan though 🙂

sadexpunk

all seems quite positive then, may decide to for it. probably want one with a light built into it which seems to push the price up a fair bit tho.

and every time it gets hot I think about getting one in here. But then forget about it until next time it’s hot.

…..which is a fair guess at whatll happen here too 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

GlennQuagmire – Member 
    Ideally, you need to extract the warm air from the room and replace with cooler air.

And that’s when I get my annual interest in air conditioners. Until I realise it’s not worth it for a few days a year and would be a huge cost, if not difficult to install a proper system, or otherwise requires a massive noisy unit in a room and shove a hose out the window. Not only have to find space for it, but somewhere to keep it for the other 99% of the year it’s not required.

Ceiling fans I’ve looked into but the loft would need serious clearing to access the rose to put in a bracket, plus I’m not sure there’s a joist across at the point of my roses. They’re big things too.

DezB
    Free Member

Top tip, remember to dust it before you switch it on for the first time in ten months.

Every time then 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ceiling fans in this weather – worth it or just buy a fan?’ is closed to new replies.