Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • CCTV systems
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

I’m feeling the need to protect my bikes with some added security so looking at getting a CCTV system.

Ideally I’m after a DVR setup with ip cameras. Can anyone recommend a good system? Don’t mind paying for a decent high resolution system.

I’ve heard good things about HIK Vision systems but finding anywhere that sells them other than small unknown online retailers a problem.

The only ones I’ve really come across on the high street are the systems Maplin do. Swann and a few other brands. Worth going for?

Bikes are already pretty secure but I’d like piece of mind that I have 24 hour recordings of property and be able to view when I’m away from the home.

Fire away with any suggestions

somouk
    Free Member

Have you considered cloud stored solutions like Nest Cam or Canary?

The cameras seem better quality and you can get alerts straight to your phone if there are criteria met.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

No I hadn’t. I’ll take a look, thanks.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got a couple of canaries. Not cheap but they were easy to set up and the image quality is great. You get a ping on phone about 20 seconds after anything happens. There was a thread a few days ago that might have a few more options

lustyd
    Free Member

Before you blow a load of cash bear in mind that CCTV won’t make your stuff more secure, won’t improve your chances of recovery, and won’t help the police catch the thieves. All it does is provide evidence if the police happen to catch someone – they don’t actively seek to find criminals like on TV these days!
    It will give you some peace of mind from a certain perspective, in that you can check when away. Of course, all that really does is feed the paranoia so you’ll check more often and possibly become obsessive.

The only way to protect your babies is with locks and insurance, and locks can be cut easily with modern tools!

lustyd
    Free Member

@nickjb when you get that ping what happens next? It’s unlikely the police would deploy immediately for a simple burglary these days so your choices then are ask your neighbor to confront a potentially violent criminal, or watch someone steal your stuff live, possibly including the expensive IP cam!

nickjb
    Free Member

@nickjb when you get that ping what happens next? It’s unlikely the police would deploy immediately for a simple burglary these days so your choices then are ask your neighbor to confront a potentially violent criminal, or watch someone steal your stuff live, possibly including the expensive IP cam!

I can go out to the shed myself. Statistically speaking I’m far more likely to be in when it happens. Not sure I’d rush out there tooled up but some noise and a torch beam might be enough that they scarper. As for calling the police funnily enough we did that recently for some youths causing a minor fracas in the rear lane. Only phoned the non emergency number but there was a car doing a drive by within a few minutes. Hopefully would help with any insurance claim too.

jimdubleyou

I keep recommending arlo.

Seems like a few folk are doing the same

edit: Just seen the Arlo Pro is out soon – pricier but does address some of peoples concerns (if not the cost 😯 )

lustyd
    Free Member

Lol Nick, I hadn’t even considered the scenario of being in when it happens! Very good point and makes me reconsider the whole topic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘CCTV systems’ is closed to new replies.