Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CCTV – help please :-)
  • woody2000

We’ve been having some issues with people damaging our cars as they (presumably) walk past. Cars are parked on the main road, but our house is elevated from the road so no direct line of sight. I’m considering sticking a camera on the wall, but don’t really know if it’s feasible.

Looks like this:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6VUd5RNJSf9Y3daQy0tQUUwTlk

Cars are parked to the left of the steps, house is 20 or 30 feet away as the crow flies. Was thinking about mounting a camera in that vegetation somehow, though most of that on the wall has been removed now. Any suggestions?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You might be able to get a cheap wireless camera to operate over that distance but it’s a long shot. Can’t see a wired cam being a problem though?

geoffj

Have you got leccy in the garden? You could use powerline network sockets to rig up a wired one.

There’s probably a world of data protection / rights pain with pointing a camera at a public road though.

woody2000

Geoff – there is a wire running to a light just to the right of the steps, just out of view. I hadn’t really considered the DP stuff, that’s probably made a whole lot worse by the fact we overlook a junior school 😕

We have reported it to the police, but they can’t or won’t do anything (what could they do I suppose). Wonder what else I could do? Stick some CCTV signs up, might act as a deterrent?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s probably a world of data protection / rights pain with pointing a camera at a public road though.

Since you are legally allowed to photograph and video in a public place (assuming you’re not looking through someones bathroom window) there’s nothing you have to deal with.

D0NK

here’s probably a world of data protection / rights pain with pointing a camera at a public road though

public road is fair game isn’t it?

woody2000

Sounds like we might be ok then 🙂

Any suggestions for a reasonable camera then? Would need to be able to record at night, as that’s when the kn**heads seem to be out and about 👿

Can they record straight to a NAS device?

ton

woody, i can supply you with all your cctv needs.
    nice IR dome cameras start at £30+vat.

woody2000

Tony – could you drop me an email with rough estimate of cost please? Be just a single camera (for now!), like I said above I do have a network storage device in the house, so could that be used for recording?

Do you do the installs too?

Ta 😀

westy04
    Free Member

Yes you can record directly to a NAS device.
    I have a Synology DS211J which has built in surveillance software and is licenced for one camera, but can be taken upto 4.
    Would recommend one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CCTV – help please :-)’ is closed to new replies.