Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CCTV for home use
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Some scrote has tried to break into my garage where the bikes are kept.

Neighbours have some good footage of the three of them, two of my neighbours are policemen, so they are helping in getting them identified etc.

They didn’t get in, but made a bit of a mess to the garage door, we have since repaired and it is only slightly cosmetic damage now and works ok.

Any recommendations on a good cctv camera system? Or a simple alarm?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Had a simila visit recently sadly they got away with something. Queue cctv and gates if it were legal, land mines.
    I went to maplin and a spotty lad shows me a swan system. Wired better than wireless which still needs power. I have three round the house. And a special surprise one hidden inside the cellar. Hoddies off once your inside eh?
    Easy to set up. Wires all over the place and the unit hidden behind the telly box. Works well and now I’ve spent 300 quid I’ll never see them again. Possibly more effective than the boys in blue.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, will take a trip to my local Marlins to have a look.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a Samsung one via Amazon.
    Wired, 4 full HD cameras with night capability, etc.
    Remote viewing and playback with email of events, etc too.
    Better than the Swan ones at the price point.

project
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.cpc.co.uk theyre cheaper than maplins, and you can buy a kit or parts and plug and play.

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t hide the box near the telly. If they spot you have cameras they will mask up and go straight for there.

Use a tplink pass through for a wired connection anywhere in the house and get the camera cables run to there.

An obscure part of the loft is a good bet, if a box covered in insulation to hide / keep it relatively dust free and temperature ok.

Swan systems are pretty good. Costco was the cheapest when I had mine sorted. Also do an install package if your place isn’t straight forward.

sy101
    Free Member

Have a look at Foscam UK wireless IP cameras. They work over wifi so just need power, will upload snapshots of movement to a local or remote FTP server or email you and can be viewed remotely (I use the NetCamViewer IOS app). I have ones hidden in the house, garage, shed and an outside one looking at the back of the house.

dirtyboy

Alarm your garage also, just a time delay keypad shed alarm or pir type. Multiple layers of security are key.

allthepies
    Free Member

What type of garage door do you have ? I’d be focusing on securing/changing that first.

Cougar

Why? They didn’t get in, so it seems to have worked…!

allthepies
    Free Member

They decided that the door was worth attacking. Remove that option.

Denis99
    Free Member

It’s a roller door. There is a bar that goes the width of the door and locates in the roller door runners.

I was surprised by how well it held up. The bars on either side protrude quite a bit into the roller door frame. Although it was bent a bit, there is little chance of getting enough leverage to pry the door open,

Thinking about modifying the bar though, it is just aluminium section that got badly bent up. If I can replace the aluminium bar with a steel section bar, then it is even more unlikely to pry the door open this way.

Also, thinking of putting a strip of metal bar to prevent anyone getting any leverage in the side of the door in the first place.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CCTV for home use’ is closed to new replies.