Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • CCDBair Or DSP Dueler and Fox Float (although not at the same time)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ok so my floats blow again (see the other thread). I asked Si and Duelers are coming into stock soon so cheep coil is an option.

The question is, would the dueler be better than a CCDBair for ‘downhill’ on my Pitch and get the float fixed and use that for ‘all-mountain’. Or just bite the bullet and get a CCDBair? Will it be not quite as good downhill but save a fair amount of weight, or will it in fact be better? Or would the dueler with a Ti spring be light enough and efficient enough to get away with using it all the time? The one thing that puts me off the CCDB is it’s reputation for being progressive, and I had to fit an XV can to the float to make it feel like it got anywhere near enough travel.

I’m not adverse to spending some money to get something that works reliably (unlike my Float which was clearly built on a friday afternoon!), but the dueler and (hopefully) fixed float would be ~£80 less than the CCDBair.

vinnyeh

that Pitch has been a bit of a money pit for you, hasn’t it.

I’d get the DSP. Or probably a Fox Van RC. The less adjusting I need to do the better.
    Never sure how much is in the mind, or maybe I’m crap at setting up suspension, but a coil on the back felt like it transformed the bike- better grip in the tricky stuff, both up and down, suppler, and all round a bit more fun. Except on gravel roads. Course, my bike is not the same as your bike, so your results will probably vary. Bikes a bit heavier, with a steel spring, but haven’t really noticed that.

scruff
    Free Member

My heckler came 2nd hand with a tuned Dueller, tried swapping for a float for a bit but put the Dueller back on. Cant notice shock moving, nothing harsh, no bob, no wallow, great pop, no bottom out. Cant really fault it apart from its heavier, but not all that much as it has a Ti spring.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that Pitch has been a bit of a money pit for you, hasn’t it.

Lesson learnt, next time I’m buying a frame only and specking it with bit’s I know work, although I live in hope that it’ll settle down into something reliable! The most annoying bit it it hardly ever get’s used, it’s a proper weekend away/holiday bike, but every time it came out something broke!

I’d get the DSP. Or probably a Fox Van RC.

My thought process was along the lines of the DSP comes with a Ti spring, and that’s probably something I’d buy anyway. And the LSC would mean I could tune it for trail centers or DH tracks if I decided I didn’t want the air shock back.

scruff
    Free Member

Oh I had a DHX 4 or 5 on a previous Heckler and the Dueller bobs alot less.

julians
    Free Member

Depends what sort of spring the pitch is designed for (or works well with), coil or air.

If it were my choice I’d try the ccdbair out, given that its only £80 more than your other option of dueller+float. Less hassle than swapping shocks around all the time.

What about the trying the BOS vipr? or the rockshox vivid air? they both get good reviews.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BOS have no importer and by all accounts work best with the matching forks which I can’t afford, and the Vivid seems to be marketed/aimed/reviewed as an out and out DH shock.

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve got a Vivid air on my Helius AM which is pretty much my do it all bike. It works very well and I’ve no complaints at all.

LoCo
    Free Member

2.25 dueler by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

Shorter length Dueler, just arrived from the factory 😀

brant
    Free Member

I’ve been to the factory. It’s very nice.
    I must get some get some in Titus sizing.

vinnyeh

Loco, are you selling ti springs by themselves?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DSP it is then I reckon. Might try it for a few rides and see how it fares before getting the Float fixed if nececary.

YGM LOCO.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, we can supply ti spring separtly in sizes from 2″ to 3.5″ strokes and various weights, an order is being processed at the moment so if you want anything specific let us know as they do tend to go quite quickly in the ‘standard’ sizes and weights.

Spoon YGM 😀

Brant, yes the current iteration of the shock is pretty good in standard tune, we’ve been working on various tunes and have further developments coming now I have use of a proper bench dyno.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have a Dueler on my alpine and it is night and day to the DHX/RP23 it replaced, can’t recommend it enough!

Loco, I will be swapping it onto an 08 patriot frame today, which has 18mm more travel, should I change the settings much?

chris_db
    Free Member

TFT do a Pushed version of the VanRC, I have it on my Nerve AM, fit and forget – just does the job, doesn’t bottom out and sticks to the ground.

Coil all the way.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bagstard drop me mail with your weight and what your riding to see if you need to go up a spring rate, the high & low speed compression and rebound adjusters, unless set fully on, now should give enough adjustment to compensate for the increase in leverage ratio, possibly a slight increase in the piggy back air pressure too. From memory the Patriot has a slightly more falling rate due to pivot position but will double check when checking the other settings for you 😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks LoCo, will do.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i can vouch for a dueler, best shox iv had. Si fitted it to my Nomad a few months back. dont think i would ever go back to an air can.
    i did think about CCDB but lets face it are 99% of the riders able to make use of all the settings?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I am having a Dueller on my next bike..Running a CCDB at the moment.Will be good to compare

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘CCDBair Or DSP Dueler and Fox Float (although not at the same time)’ is closed to new replies.