Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • CCDB on a DW 5-Spot Observations
  • heihei

I was lucky enough to pick up a CCDB recently for my DW Spot, and last night rode with my mate who also has a DW Spot with the RP23, so we did a back-to-back comparison. Both bikes run similar set-ups, with Float 36's up-front, 2×9, flat pedals etc. We rode a short section of downhill singletrack trail that includes a few 2-3ft drops, tree roots, a few rocks, and some high-speed turns. The CCDB was set up as per factory recommendation, RP23 run with no pro-pedal.
    It was very obvious just over this short section that the CCDB provides bags more control. There feels like a lot more grip in the rear tyre, and therefore gives you more confidence to push the bike further. Small bump sensitivity was obviously better, but also more control on landing from drops.
    OK so some of this improvement in feel can be put down to the coil vs air so a proper controled test would be the CCDB vs DHX 5 or similar. Still, my mate and I were deeply impressed!

toons
    Free Member

Oh bugger, I didn't want to hear that!

LoCo
    Free Member

RC4 with CCDB would be a bit fairer.

The custom tuned DHX 5 coil I had was pretty good, however the CC is a really high end unit.

heihei

Oh bugger, I didn't want to hear that!

Toons – given where you ride, and how you set up your Spot, I reckon you'd absolutely love it!!

toons
    Free Member

I've got some 2011 Kashima 36's on the way, after that, the CCDB will be next 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

I've got a RC4/Ti spring on mine. Like to try one of the CCDB shocks, but **** me they is pricy!

RicB

I had the pleasure of testing an Orange 5 demo bike with a CCDB at the weekend. The improvement over the (still very good) Fox shock was huge. It almost felt like I had a flat rear tyre at one point, such was the grip at the back end on the downhills. Cornering speed seemed much higher as the bike could be loaded into the corner and then sort of 'pinged' out. Tiny bit of bob which is probably a good thing for climbing traction.

tbh I was blown away by it but then I saw the price with the Ti spring!

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I'm looking at the CCDB and BOS STOY. I'm sure that there was a mag review done not so long ago? Anyone have any ideas who dunnit?

Pushed DHX 5.0 could also be in the frame, anyone sporting one of these feed back would be greatly appreciated.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here's something to think about. The leverage ratio on the Turner DW 5 Spot appears to fall from 3.4:1 at the start of the travel to 2.6:1 a the end of the travel. This means that the suspension gets harder to compress towards the end of travel, i.e. it's progressive. That established, try winding off some of the high speed compression damping and see what effect that has.

At the moment, the bike's suspension design will make the suspension 'feel' stiffer the deeper you go by mechanical leverage. The HSC will be adding to that and consequently you may have more than you need.

It's just a thought. The factory settings are just a starting point. I've ended up winding on around 85% of the LSC on mine, winding off all but about 10% of the HSC (my frame is also progressive and the profile looks a lot like the DW 5 Spot) and I've tweaked the rebound a little on the low speed to (left the high speed rebound alone so far).

Make a note of where you started from and just experiment a little as you will be amazed how much of a difference it can make.

geetee1972
    Free Member

tbh I was blown away by it but then I saw the price with the Ti spring!

Don't even think about ordering a CCDB with a Ti spring. They only supply them in 3" and 3.5" (IIRC) variants, which is around 50% more coil turns than you'd need on an Orange 5. Nuke Proof fit just fine and can be bought in the right stroke (which is what you would have if you paid £250 for one from Cane Creek!)

RicB

I wasn't thinking of buying one at all but thanks 🙂

heihei

geetee1972 – assume yours is fitted to the Nicolai? As fellow Surrey Hills riders would be good to hook up some time and swap notes. Saw you were planning to do the ride on 23rd….

pedalhead
    Free Member

lalalalalalalala —->fingers in ears<—–

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

PUSH'd Van R on mine. Seems to do the job.

geetee1972
    Free Member

lalalalalalalala —->fingers in ears<—–

PMSL!

HeiHei – indeed it is on the Nic and yes I am planning on being there on the 23rd. How did that all get resolved, are we meeting at the Holnburry St Mary carpark?

aldomac
    Free Member

A mate has recently got a CCDB for his Uzzi and he's loving it. He is a bit of a speed demon on the climbs now as well as the downs.

Did you guys run your RP23 sag set at 17mm according to the Turner site? I tried that with mine and felt it was too soft.

heihei

gt – dunno. Let me have your email addy and can then arrange something.

aldomac – tbh can't remember where I was running the sag. Shock stroke is 1.9" or 48mm. 17mm is therefore 35% sag which is too much for me on XC stuff. The DW link means the bike doesn't sit into it's travel too badly but still seems too much by my way of thinking.

Digger90
    Free Member

What do your respective bikes weigh please?

Am considering the DW Spot versus an SC Nomad II – either bike with either an air shock or an upgrade to CCDB.

toons
    Free Member

Don't even think about ordering a CCDB with a Ti spring. They only supply them in 3" and 3.5" (IIRC) variants, which is around 50% more coil turns than you'd need on an Orange 5. Nuke Proof fit just fine and can be bought in the right stroke (which is what you would have if you paid £250 for one from Cane Creek!)

Geetee1972 could you elaborate on this, if the Turner 5 spot is 7.5×2 (190×50), which spring would you need?

toons
    Free Member

What do your respective bikes weigh please?

DW 5 Spot, Sram X0\XX, Gravity Dropper, Fox 36 Floats, RF Next SL cranks.

Both Air Shock

29.43lb
    i9 Enduro's DT 5.1 Rims Tubeless 2.35 Minion DHF 2.25 Ardent on the rear

28.04lb
    i9 Enduor's, Arch Rim's Tubeless, Nobby Nic's 2.25, Floating rotors.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetee1972 could you elaborate on this, if the Turner 5 spot is 7.5×2 (190×50), which spring would you need?

Sure thing. There are typically three measurements you need to get right for a spring.
    The most obvious is the weight in lbs/inch, i.e. how much force in lbs is needed to compress the spring by 1 inch. You can use the spring calculators on the TF and Mojo websites to work that out.
    The second thing is the stroke length, i.e. how long is the stroke on your damper, in this case it's 2 inches. The spring needs to be able accomodate at least 2" of compression before the coils start to touch together.
    If you need a 2" stroke spring but can't find one, then you can always use a 2.25" for example. The rate of compression needs to be the same, e.g. 450lbs/inch for argument sake. If the spring is designed to compress 2.25" on a 2" bike it won't be a problem, you'll just have a longer spring with more coils in than you need.
    Cane Creek only make springs to fit stroke lengths of 3" and 3.5", i.e. DH bike territory. A Ti spring in that length, that is still the same weight – inches/lbs – will probably weigh as much as a steel spring that's say 2" in stroke.
    The third measure is the free length but I've never really understood what that's about.

heihei

Large DW Spot, Float 36's, 09 Crossmax SX, XTR Cranks, 2.2" Rubber Queen UST's, Point One Podiums, Joplin, RP23 – 29.2lbs

For CCDB with steel spring, add 3/4lb.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I'm getting one with a Ti spring for my nicolai after the summer, before though I think I'm going to have to run a float r rear shock and revs up front untill I can find some more cash.

Though BOS are bringing out a new air shock which I might get instead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ian – BOS have been bringing out that air can for months already. Lord knows when we will get to see it.

Speaking of which, we've yet to get a ride in. We should fix that – I think I still have your email address.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I'm going to buy a hv air can for it for the time being, it's cheap and it will do for the summer. Then when BOS ever bring out their air can ill upgrade to that, depending on the weight of it compaird to a ti ccdb.

I have your email. I'm uber poor for the next month so sometime in july would be good. Perhaps a couple fo uplift days.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘CCDB on a DW 5-Spot Observations’ is closed to new replies.