Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • CCDB for Alps?
  • chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m going to the alps in July (never been before) with my tracer. It currently has a RP23 rear shock and was wondering if there would be serious benefit in me changing the RP23 for a CCDB or another coil shock? I have a coil pike forks on my hardtail and prefer that to air revelations because of the plush travel and was wondering if that would be the same for a rear shock?

Any help appreciated.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I hammered an rp2 for a week last year due to my fox coil blowing up before I left. If an air shock can take the stick I gave it it’ll be fine

grum
    Free Member

I used an RP2 for a week in the alps on my Pitch and while it was ok the DHX5 I have in there now would have been miles better. You could definitely feel the RP2’s performance getting worse as it got hot on long descents.

CCDB is quite a big spend just for using on holiday though!

kayak23

Not so much what you take, but if you can take a spare then that is very helpful.
    I use a coil DHX on my Mega when I go Alp’ing, but always take the Monarch air as a spare..

niceandy
    Free Member

CCDB is a silly amount of money to spend on something you will probably only use for 1-2 weeks per year. Given the amount of adjustability and tuning you will have to do you might just have enough time to get it set up before you go in July.

I bought a cheap basic DHX3 coil (Mojo had a sale on) for my Alpine and had it tuned after 2 years when it needed servicing, and it’s been spot on for the Alps and DH days.

If I had the choice again I would think about a lighter piggyback air shock (Monarch plus or X-fusion) as it may replace the RP23 and you will get more use out of it in the UK, rather than having a coil shock as an expensive paperweight for 50 weeks of the year.

Northwind

Depends on the bike- I went to coil in my Hemlock for a little while but didn’t think it made a massive difference, wee bit better grip but quite a lot more blob. Definitely a tradeoff rather than better/worse. But your bike might not be the same. If you like how it rides in the UK then don’t change it for change’s sake, but if you feel it’s lacking under harder use then maybe- depending on where in the alps and what sort of riding.

clubby

RP23 will be fine. Mine did a couple of weeks in whistler no bother including a couple of full days in the bike park.
    If you want to make more of the holiday get some skills training before you go.

ae212060
    Free Member

ccdbair? I swapped my RP23 out for one and have been using it for both DH and trail duties.

messiah
    Free Member

Spare shock is a good call. I bought a CCDB a couple of years ago for big stuff and while I liked it I never really loved it. They have a certain feel to them; and its possible to really mess the bike up by faffing. Good use for a CCDB is for a faffer to learn about what all the adjustments do, and then put back to how CC/TFT advised as that is how it works best 🙄 .

My 2p. If you fancy a new shock anyway buy a custom tuned one and use your current shock as the spare shock.

PS – if your running Rev’s up front you won’t need a better rear shock than a RP23 anyway 😉

Total left field choice – My Avalanche Tuned DHX Air is the best shock I have ever used. Lighter than a CCDBAir and cheaper… I bought the shock on ebay USA and sent it to Avy for the mods. Probably overkill but its an amazing piece of kit.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so…

CCDB is overkill, i should use the money and go on a skills course, and buy a cheaper spare shock…

Still need to mod the bike, i will definately get coil forks, maybe coil fox 36s, wider bars, dual ply tyres, 203 rotors. Will be buying most bits from the classifieds so do not intend to spend a fortune.

Thanks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ran an RP23 for 1 week in the mega and 10 days long descending after that. No issues. Lighter easier to tune and does what I needed had a DHX5 as backup but never felt the need.

messiah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t look only at coil forks. 36 Floats are way better than Revelations due to the stiffness and the internals… and lighter than Coil Pikes (mine were anyway).

More of a risk us ruining the ride by bunging on an over long fork or making the bike too heavy. You will enjoy the alps on any bike set up in anyway… descent tyres and a few obvious spares are all you really need (go for the wider bars and shorter stem etc if you fancy doing it anyway but its not just for the Alps IMHO etc).

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Ok, will check out 36 Floats too 🙂 Any suggestions on tyres, i have been recommended Conti Baron Black chilli….

Northwind

Barons are brilliant but designed as a damp tyre (they were originally sold as Rain Kings). Not as grippy as a Minion or equivalent unless things are muddy (though, they’re never bad). I took Clutch SXs out to Les Arcs last year and they were bloomin brilliant, will be using Butcher SXs this year- grippy, and very tough, but not as hefty as a full dualply, better than a Minion and cheaper.

Where are you actually going? If it’s a trailbike-style holiday then don’t get too carried away.RP23s are great, and reliable- people literally pointed and laughed at mine when I turned up on my Hemlock for the fort bill endurance dh but it didn’t miss a beat, quite a few coil shocks popped though 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Just get a set of part worn x2ply Minion DHF ST or 42/60 (f/r). Or High Roller rear. Lots available and no need to buy new if you are only using them a few times a year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.5″ Minion 60a, If you go to the sticky compounds you run the risk of shredding them over a full week, went with the 60a’s as it made no massive difference overall and they are still going by the second Saturday

cardo

I’ve run an RP23 on my 5 for the last 2 trips to the Alps and it was fine , no worries at all… I’ve had the same thoughts as you as to whether to go down the coil route but will stick with the RP23 for this season too, the cost of the shock is the same as the weeks trip 😯
    Regarding tyres I can highly recommend Maxxis Minion 2.5 tacky for the front and Maxxis Highroller 2.35 or 2.5 for the back. Oh and dual plys too you’ll ride over lots of rocks.
    It’s also worth getting some downhill tubes unless you go tubeless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and dual plys too you’ll ride over lots of rocks.
    It’s also worth getting some downhill tubes unless you go tubeless.

If your puncturing with DH tubes and Dual plys you need to take a look at your riding 🙂

Normally run std decent volume tubes in the DH ones otherwise the weight goes mad.

wl
    Free Member

I ran an RP23 on a Patriot last year for 2 weeks in Verbier – felt mint, no issues. I had a CCDB coil with me too, but it wasn’t better enough, enough of the time, to justify lugging around an extra 1.5 pounds in weight. Plus the DB would have needed repeated tuning to get best performance on the very varied terrain.

cardo

No Mikewsmith, you misread my post mate, I’ve never had an issue with punctures using the dual ply and downhill tubes that’s why I recommended it..or go tubeless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry I mistyped too, it’s a bit of an overkill combination for alps or most UK DH really, just makes the bike very slow to get going IMHO. Never had issues with DH & Std tubes really. Also a damm sight cheaper than the fat options.

cardo

True mate and yes good point about spinning the wheels up especially if you are doing XC in the Alps and not all downhill bike park bashing.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Northwind, I’m going to Morzine, doing all sorts there. Not anything too agressive though, but want to be prepared. Will be buying a full face though.

so, sounds like people prefer the minion/highroller combo…

Northwind

Cool, so you’re in the pocket-dangerous position where you probably don’t need to change much, but nothing you do will be overkill 😆 That’s where I end up buying more bikes!

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

If it means i will have a better/safer holiday, i dont mind spending a bit…

tpbiker
    Free Member

doubt it’ll make the holiday any safer…

you’ll just crash at a higher pace..

mafiafish
    Free Member

I’d wait until a couple of weeks before you go before you decide what tyres to take. No point gearing up for dry conditions if it’s soaked. I find muddy marys hard to beat in terms of being tough, light and versatile. I still run a 2.5 on my trail bike because I love it so much.
    I hate Maxxis tyres though just can’t get on with them for some reason. Specialized’s DH tyres are worth a look too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d probably go for some reliable coil forks like marzocchi or rock shox.

Dual ply tyres are worth it, dh tubes arent.

Take some wet weather tyres aswell, since it can be pretty slippy there when it rains, especially the main downhill runs!

unklehomered
    Free Member

No need, I’ve thrashed a float R about the alps with no ill effects, I’d worry about the front end for the alps, back end just follows, but front end will allow you to uncurl your hands at the end of a run… or not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Either DH tyres or tubes, not both. Personally I’d go tubeless and keep a spare tube as backup.

I’ve blown my float shock up twice in the UK, but I’m fairly sure it’s just a crap shock not indicative of floats in general. MOJO washed their hands of it after the first time.

cubemeup
    Free Member

What part of the alps u going? I would think u would be ok with an air can

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so, sounds like people prefer the minion/highroller combo…

Hate that with a vengeance, why have a square/round profile combo. Made handling feel wrong.

Minion both ends most of the time but for Morzine pack something wet Swampies helped…

Northwind

Minion DHF both ends is better than highrollers IMO. But then I’d still recommend Butchers over either, it’s basically a Minion 2.0 😉

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

I’m going to morzine 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

If I was going to Morzine and had the cash to chuck a CCDB on my bike I would.

I recommend the Air.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘CCDB for Alps?’ is closed to new replies.