Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • CCDB, anyone use one a normal 'trail' bike?
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

I have the option of fitting the CCDB to our Chumba VF2 frames/bikes, as an OEM upgrade, but was wondering if this type of shock was what people really want on a 5" travel trail bike, and if not why not?

Is there anyone with extensive use of the CCDB against other coil and or air shocks?

auricgoldfinger

Try the MTBR Nicolai forum – a couple of folk over there that have used it and air shocks on the same frame that could give you some feedback (mostly on the Helius AM I think, but in the shorter travel position as well as the full ~6")

nickegg
    Free Member

Get in contact with MBR and Dirt mags.

Both have nothing but praise for it…both mags running them on Orange 5's.

I also know of two bike shop owners locally running Intense Tracers with it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

T_L_R will be along in a minute, he's got one on a Nicolai.

Looking at MBR this month though, they said it turned the Orange 5 SL they put it on into a rocket far more capable than the 140mm fork up front and the build kit on the bike.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Interesting, just wondering how it changes the whole balance of the bike?

auricgoldfinger

Like steve_b77 says, TLR will be along soon…

Vortexracing

pulls up chair and waits for answers.

I've been considering this very upgrade

UK-FLATLANDER

I've been running one on my 5 Spot (HL) for a couple of years and have been really pleased with it. I was previously running a Romic, which was good, but the CCDB just seems to be more controlled in all situations. You can see it on MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5593219&postcount=18

si-wilson
    Free Member

UK-FLATLANDER, did you speak with CC about how you wanted the shock valving, and did it take much to set up to how you like it?

UK-FLATLANDER

I didn't speak to CC initially, just informed them as to the type of riding, via my LBS. Found it reasonably easy to set up as I like it. I believe that the adjusters have been altered since I got mine. There is lots of info to be found on setup on the MTBR forum, along with lots of thoughts on the pross and cons.

fivespot
    Free Member

I saw Nigel Page up at Llandegla this afternoon with a CCDB on his Intense Tracer. It may be worth asking him for his opinion !

Vortexracing

I saw Nigel Page up at Llandegla this afternoon with a CCDB on his Intense Tracer. It may be worth asking him for his opinion !

already did that a year ago when I was on one of his training day thingies, he rates the shock very, very highly.

the_lecht_rocks

fit like gents.

yes indeed – have used a CCDB extensively on both my Turner 6 Pack and my Nicolai Helius AM. Both Horst Link designs which is important to this debate / issue / topic.

the CCDB has a magical ability to ride however you like a shock to ride. fast and taught, yep, just wind up the compression.

loose and slack, just wind it out…..

and dial in the rebound to counter the compression 😀

it will transform any frame that the i2i and stroke length suits…….whether you're prepared for the weight penalty over air is up to you, but in comparison, there is none……the CCDB quite simply is one helluva unit…….

unfortunately, it demonstrates the limits found in modern day forks – we need Ohlins / CC to build a front fork now to keep up 😀

one issue i'd raise however is you don't buy a CCDB to counter pedal-bob….you buy it to obtain tuning ability to dial in your preferences……that's why the HL is important to the discussion….it inherently rids pedal bob allowing the shock to react in a more 'linear' fashion……

if the frame suffers bob, then i reckon the CCDB could feel too wallowly, as it's best to run @ 35% sag on this unit, right into the mid-stroke of the shock……and poor frame design cannot be fixed by ANY shock…….hence my preference for HL designs….the CCDB just suits them….

i no longer think the price is prohibitive either, considering 66's, Lyriks, 36's etc are all around £700 / £900 this year !

going back to an air shock feels like the shock is 'sticking' in comparison and a bit wooden……..

i'd say try it and see…..and ask for more forum user feedback 😀

keep us updated 😀

si-wilson
    Free Member

Well, the guys at Chumba have just got a shock back from CC, so it looks like i will be giving it a go!

I do have reservations, more to do with the fact that a 140/150mm air fork will feel out of its depth, but maybe a PUSH mod will help that out?

Here is an VF2 with a CCDB, really looking forward to sticking one on my own VF2!

the_lecht_rocks

what i2i / stroke does the VF2 have si ?

200 x 57 by any chance ?

you'll have to let air out of the forks and run em soft to try and keep up with the back end TBH…

the green looks great 😀

chumbaevo needs to give ride analysis on mtbr, right ?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumbaevo (Alan) is or has been riding a CCDB for a little while, from what he has told me he says it is very good, as you would expect! Expect a review of sorts over on MTBR soon from Alan at Chumba.

I know it is a different beast to the VF2, but what forks are you running on your Helius AM?

the_lecht_rocks

2009 talas 36 . perfect match, although vans may be better matched, but i run the TALAS v. soft.
    i ran 2008 van 36's on my 6 Pack with the CCDB.

slowrider
    Free Member

sorry for the slight thread hijack but im considering this shock for my 5. only thing is i currently run my shock quite soft but use the propedal lever to firm things up for climbs or flattish stuff. without the propedal lever, is it possible to set the shock up to give you the best of both worlds or is that asking too much?

cheers.

the_lecht_rocks

of course, sort of.
    increase lsc, decrease hsc and dial in lsr & hsr to suit 😀

buy if you understand suspension and it's effects, or are interested and prepared to learn……

neilforrow

Si would you do the CC Cloud Nine air as a OEM upgrade… have you had any experience of this shock?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Neil, I have no experience of the cloud nine to be honest, I'll put the question to the guys at Chumba.

forge197
    Free Member

I am still willing to try the CCDB on my XCL for you, it would be no bother 😉

si-wilson
    Free Member

200 x 57 by any chance ?

missed this first time, yep 200 x 57 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

I am still willing to try the CCDB on my XCL for you, it would be no bother

No problem, how would you like to pay? 😉

crispy
    Free Member

I bought TLR's old CCDB for my 5 Spot (cheers fella – it's great!). The most interesting thing is that after I got everything dialled in and had a play around, I no longer had a desire to get a new bike. That was 18 months ago.

Bizarre, I know…

the_lecht_rocks

hey crispy – have you serviced the unit yet ?
    STENDEC are getting my business – first class operation 😀
    how are you enjoying the bottomless plush travel ?

regards,

crispy
    Free Member

Mate, it's ridiculous! I love it. Really enjoying getting to know a bit more about suspension stuff too, and having a bit of a play with it in different conditions.

Great fun!

the_lecht_rocks

superb – good to hear. 😆

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

missed this first time, yep 200 x 57

How much?

forge197
    Free Member

Si will there be a CCDB upgrade deal for exisiting owners?

si-wilson
    Free Member

How much?

for the shock or frame with shock?

Si will there be a CCDB upgrade deal for exisiting owners?

yep, send me an email and i will see what i can do 🙂

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

I meant how much for the shock.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Email me at info@progressive-bikes.co.uk for prices 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

missed this first time, yep 200 x 57

just checked and it is actually a 200 x 50mm, doh!

molgrips
    Free Member

I already find that the rear ends on my bikes are plush and progressive enough to make my forks feel really sticky and annoying. I think that could be a problem for me with a shock like this.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

si_progressivebikes
    I have emailed you few more questions regarding CCDB. Please get back to me whenever you have some time.
    Cheers

mwleeds

I think I'd have to agree with some of the comments above, i.e. you'd want a very good set of coil forks on the front of any bike with a CCDB.

I have an alpine five which came with a mantiou evolver isx 4 shock and Fox 36 Talas forks. The rear shock was first to go replaced by a pushed van r. This transformed the bike but the fox forks never really felt quite right. I replaced these with some coil lyrics, now the back end (in some situations)feels poorly controlled compared to the lyrics with there high and low speed compression damping.

Perhaps I was always looking for a excuse to upgrade, but I can see how a very good coil shock could make a bike with some air forks feel a little unbalanced.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘CCDB, anyone use one a normal 'trail' bike?’ is closed to new replies.