Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • CBeebies HD…….. eh?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Good news but CBeebies in HD – really?
    Are the BBC just using anything they can to fill up the available HD channels, ‘cos I can’t see any point in a channel aimed at very small children being output in HD. Daft.

Edit: will be be able to see the hairs on peppa pig?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cause HD is bettererer init

kimbers

peppa pig is on channel5

Cougar

Some day, everything will be in HD, and I won’t have to keep changing channels back to cataract-o-vision every time aunty beeb switches back to regional programming.

And where’s my hoverboard?

rewski
    Free Member

what cougar said, they probably film the presenter in HD, some of the Freeview and iplayer SD is awful, all those colours and textures are hard to encode at a low bitrate.

GrahamS

Some day, everything will be in HD

And that day will be the day before they announce that HD is dead and 4K is the way forward 😀

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130705

lodious
    Free Member

CBebbies is probably the worst looking SD channel at the moment. Anything that gets rid of the compression halo round the logo offending my eyes at 6:00AM when i’m hungover with a wide awake 2 year old has to be a good thing.

Plus, I quite fancy Nina, so better definition of her Neurons will be welcome.

What not to like?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, that cartoon could work equally well for wheel sizes…!

😀

GrahamS

CBeebies SD looks fine on my fairly ancient Humax Freeview box by the way.

some of the Freeview and iplayer SD is awful, all those colours and textures are hard to encode at a low bitrate.

So how will cramming HD into a freeview signal be any better? Do the HD channels get given more bitrate or something?

GrahamS

Graham, that cartoon could work equally well for wheel sizes…!

I like to think that 2 is a ginger version of Cougar 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

^^^What Iodious said..

Nina in HD – can only be a good thing… 😀

andytherocketeer

And that day will be the day before they announce that HD is dead and 4K is the way forward

Sadly true I think.
    Would make more sense to go to higher frame rate before 4K for conventional broadcast, but 4K will win cos it’s higher numbers.

SammyC
    Free Member

So how will cramming HD into a freeview signal be any better? Do the HD channels get given more bitrate or something?

Yes, better encoding (MP4 rather than MP2) and less channels on a transmitter means higher effective bitrate.

Cougar

I like to think that 2 is a ginger version of Cougar

Hehe, that’s not a million miles off the mark. Had my hair cut since, though.

rewski
    Free Member

Yes if you have Freeview HD, like Youview.

GrahamS

Interesting. Consider getting a FreeView HD box at the moment as the old SD Humax is on its last legs despite multiple re-formats of the hard drive etc.

lodious
    Free Member

The humax hd box is a lot better than their non hd boxes, so deffo a good upgrade.

rewski
    Free Member

Really recommend upgrading, especially if you watch a lot of BBC, the Chelsea Flower Show in HD was breathtaking, I don’t even like flowers.

GrahamS

The humax hd box is a lot better than their non hd boxes, so deffo a good upgrade.

Yeah I was quite tempted by their YouView box for the simplicity of watching catch-up tv, but I gather it can’t access video on NAS drive or networked PCs, whereas I believe some other boxes (including Humax ones) can.

takisawa2

The Freeview HD through our TV arial is noticeably better than through the Virgin media HD channels on cable.

And never mind CBeebies, they should put Horrible Histories on prime-time BBC1. Its simply ace. Hilarious.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Octonauts will look amazing in HD.

and nina? really?

stumpyjon

Right I’ll say it then, be nice if we could get the existing HD channels properly, extras might then be appealing.

matt_bl
    Free Member

matthewlhome – Member

Octonauts will look amazing in HD.

and nina? really?

This plus 1

Got to be Kerry or cooking Katy (before she got pregnant).

Matt

iain1775
    Free Member

Pah I’d have a SD Jen Milkshake over any of these expensive HD presenters

crikey
    Free Member

You watch it with glasses on anyway…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I appear to be one of few who are unimpressed with HD, or more to the point I’m not so disappointed with SD to long for HD. I can switch from an SD broadcast to the HD broadcast and not really notice any significant difference. Am I getting higher definition SD than you lot? 😀

Semi-serious question actually. I wondered if because I have a Freeview HD tuner in my telly-box, there is some upscaling of SD broadcasts. The Freesat box upstairs is worse quality, but it’s a much older (and smaller) telly too.

maccruiskeen

All the content for the major channels has to be filmed in hd already, whether its produced inhouse or by independents.

Kids tv is more visually inventive than the stuff us groan ups watch so there’s more for hd to see. Plus, kids only sit about 2ft from the telly.

lodious
    Free Member

I don’t know the technicalities, but SD digital TV appears to vary greatly from channel to channel. BBC4 always looks OK to me, but CBebbies and some of the ITV stuff looks hideous. It’s not night and day but HD deffo. looks better to me, apart from when it’s on in public places with the image sharpened up it’s ass and the contrast set to ‘Vivid’ :(.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Agree – HD Octonauts will be superb!

And Nina, hmm. Her who used to be off Doctor Who and who is now on Captain Jack or whatever its called… Definitely.

mtbfix

With what, Nina?

lodious
    Free Member

^^^if that don’t press your buttons, you ain’t got buttons to press.

Miffy
    Free Member

Just checked and CBBC is also included so that means Steve Backshall in HD too 😀

StirlingCrispin

Yes – this means my appearance on Balamory will now be in HD!

Talking of Horrible Histories – the Charles Dickens Song is the best Smiths cover ever.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F2Dy2n2H2qA[/video]

badllama
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztrb9arZl4[/video]

If you have the time watch this TV is dead 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Seriously what’s wrong with you lot? Perving over children’s TV presenters? Honestly.

Besides, no-one’s mentioned Rebecca yet.

grilla
    Free Member

My kids are a little older, so Miss Hoolie, or the original Josie Jump, (not the second one).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘CBeebies HD…….. eh?’ is closed to new replies.