Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • CAver EBB bad – Bushnell's good
  • bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have had a carver EBB in my Gary Fisher Ferrous for a few months and it always creaked and chain tension has been lost a couple of times meaning I had to walk. This happened on Wednesday for the last time. The problem is not the EBB itself but the tensioning bolt. You put a 4mm allen key in it (park tool) and it a loose fit so it rounds off. I got a new bolt and the same thing happened.

Bought a Bushnell’s well I bought a niner EBB but a bushnells was sent by mistake hey ho. My 4mm allen key fits snuggly into it tensioning bolt. The EBB therefore remains in place and does not creak. First good ride on the bike today without worrying that I will end up walking. Why would carver sell an EBB that has no hope of working with the supplied bolt. If I change the bolt for the one in the bushnells it would no doubt work.

Carver EBB= bad Bushnell EBB = good.

Happy single speed days.

singlespeedstu

There’s a new version of the bolt now that’s a lot better.
    It even has a fitting in the opposite end in case you round the none drive side .

TBH I’ve used both types and found the Carver to be loads more creak resistant due to the plastic sleeve round the outside.
    It cured a creak on a Ti frame that had me constanly cleaning and greasing the Bushnell.
    If you email Davis at Carver bikes he might just send you some of the newer bolts.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I did email him and he posted me one. It was a double sided bolt and the Allen keys were still a loose fit and guess what the bolt round at low torque. When I measure the bolt hole it is bigger than 4 mm more like 4.15 mm the Allen key is 3.96mm so rubbish bolts.

The bush ells has none of this it just torqued up and away I rode.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘CAver EBB bad – Bushnell's good’ is closed to new replies.