Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cavedale
  • colournoise

Rode this for the first time yesterday. Am comfortable on every other techy Peaks trail I’ve ridden (eg Beast, down Jacob’s Ladder, etc.) but this seemed a whole other ballgame.

I had ridden 60km before I got to it though, so my legs and brain weren’t on top form – is it regarded as being as tough as I think it is (I got down but lots of dabs and a few stop and look apprehensively at the next bit moments) or was I just being a tired wuss?

cubicboy
    Free Member

I’m more of an XC rider, more concerned with covering ground quickly than anything – think short travel and high seatpost. I ride most of Hope Valley without a problem. Every year or so I head over to Cavedale to see if it’s as tough as I remember… and it always is. I have walked down each time, but I should know better than to try it on a 9kg hardtail with fixed seatpost.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup. I’ve ridden it. Is a bit tricky that one, virtually guaranteed crashing in the wet I think!

tmb467
    Free Member

It’s tricky alright

Combination of a number of line choices, water, steepness and rocks got me

Top half ace, bottom half rideable

Middle bit I felt like I’d never ridden a bike before

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It’s tricky I think the key is keeping momentum, the part after the gate I wish I was on a Enduro 29er.

Pook

I’ve done it once in about 30 attempts, and that was in icy conditions. I think I decided that I was going to die on it anyway so might as well go for it.

I think I’ve taken a pootle down it too

Good effort doing it after 60km though op!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Love that decent, one of my favourites. I enjoy it because it is one of the most technically challenging descents in the Peak. Even in the peak of summer, that limestone manages to find some water from somewhere.

One of my best runs down was actually middle of winter on a crisp cold day. All the water that normally runs down there was frozen solid so it was the grippiest and most stable I’ve ever known it.

crazy-legs

I’ve only ever cleared it twice, once on an XC full sus, once on a HT.

Combination of line choice, loose rocks, keeping momentum and avoiding walkers. You need to be quite lucky to get a clear run at it, it’s not the sort of trail to attempt on a sunny Bank Holiday lunchtime!

I once saw a guy on a big DH/enduro bike batter down it like it was just a gentle slope, that was impressive!

Garry_Lager

Wet limestone makes it so difficult. If it was grit it would be comfy, you’d get the grip and could pick your way down.
    Through the middle gate, though, feel the front sliding around on a steep-ish pitch, and it all goes pear-shaped.

tmb467
    Free Member

I once saw a guy on a big DH/enduro bike batter down it like it was just a gentle slope, that was impressive!

It’s all about momentum – pick a line and go for it. Keep the weight off the front and hope for no walkers. (Is how I picture it in my head)

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s all about momentum – pick a line and go for it.

This was my approach the one and only time I’ve done it – and in the pissing rain. Knowing you CAN’T break focuses the mind splendidly and gives a great adrenaline rush when you’ve finished, but there’s a reason I’ve not been back for more…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cavedale’ is closed to new replies.