Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cave Dale
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So I just returned from a ride in the peaks including what was for me a first time descent of cave dale, I say descent but actually it was more of a walk because of the amount of dodge the pedestrian going on making holding any speed or line choice impossible.

So the question is, is it ever not full of walkers, oh and does it dry out a little?

I’d like to take another go at it when it’s not so full of people that they pose more challenge than the rocks, out would also be nice of the mud between the rocks could support my weight too. So really did I just pick a bad day or should I write it off as a bad idea?

jambourgie
    Free Member

You couldn’t have picked a busier time to go to Castleton really. Try a non-bank-holiday weekday out of season.

Hope that helps 😉

hora
    Free Member

Dont ride it after 10am any weekend day all year round. Its within minutes of the busiest town in the area..

MrNice
    Free Member

it does dry out and it’s possible to find it empty of walkers though you need to pick your time carefully. I started one summer’s day in Hope, leaving the car about 6:30. Descending cave dale at 7, the Beast a bit later and all without a red sock in sight 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ps the walkers do step sideways if you smile say hello cos they think your ace

Sandwich

You didn’t shout STRAVA loud enough did you?

Pook

Sunny weekend bank holidays are always going to see a tourist hotspot busy a couple of hundred yards from the car park ;o)

richpips
    Free Member

It’s the driest it’s been this year.

We visited yesterday, it was surprisingy quiet.

cuckoo
    Free Member

stating the obvious really but tick as many of these as possible

early start (<10am)
    weekday (non bank holiday)
    late start (>5pm)
    out of tourist season (September would give a good chance of dry trails)
    something good on TV to keep the masses at home

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bank holiday Monday was always going to be busy ! I’ve been down midweek and it’s been very quiet otherwise it’s a case of avoiding “peak hours” as above, I’ve never ridden it dry as such, that’s part of the fun.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Out of interest, where does one start from to descend Cavedale?

Pook

The top of cavedale

richpips
    Free Member

Out of interest, where does one start from to descend Cavedale?

Grid ref SK 135 813

Onzadog
    Free Member

I prefer Pook’s answer. Genuine LOL.

jambourgie
    Free Member

😀

He’s right as well.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers, I bleary didn’t do my home work well enough having deliberately avoided matlock buxton and the like four that very reason.

In their defence the only walkers not doing dodge the cyclist and simply standing there were the lazy “I barely want to get out of the car” dog walking or five abreast family types. Not a single militant red socked rambler was seen (or heard) and almost all replied to my hellos or snatches of conversation

hora
    Free Member

not doing dodge

They don’t even have to do that. They just deviate their line whilst continue walking. I’ve had one person not do this- just stand stock in the way and that was definitely a ‘I can stop and stand where I want/stern look on face’ type- that was on the first part of the descent on Jacobs Ladder. I held my tongue but made sure I didnt give them a wide birth.

Most walkers in the Peaks are normal people. Some in the Lakes act as though they own the Lakes. On a wider note- on ‘footpaths’ (not really footpaths though are they- not a lady with a pram and you barging past on the high st. Maybe it should be renamed… Its worth reminding the pricks that its not a illegal act and to get a grip.

Time for coffee.

jekkyl

It always confuses me the ones who stand stock still, either they are deaf or very obstinate. Why be such a ……. when it takes so little effort to step to the side.

martinhutch

They don’t always know what line you want, in fairness. It’s the unpredictable last-minute jumpers that are worse.

AlexSimon

I love cavedale – unfortunately lots of people I ride with try and avoid it 🙁

The rockiest section immediately through the gate is never really dry.
    But at least the tops of the rocks can dry out a bit.

When I did it a few weeks ago, even the bottom run-out was completely soaked – a stream. This bit definitely does dry out.

Occasionally we do it on an uplift day. Super tacky DH tyres with DH tubes help enormously!

AlexSimon

Here’s me giggling my way down a video of it as dry as it gets:
    Cavedale starts at 6:30

hora
    Free Member

alexsimon- 2.56 onwards- where is that?

Pook

Alex Simon, tell me more about these uplift days….

benman
    Free Member

alexsimon- 2.56 onwards- where is that?

Its the descent to Erwood in goyt valley

AlexSimon

Yep, Cat&Fiddle to Goyt via Errwood hall. Cheeky.

Uplift days just include a van and a minibus, or a couple of vans, etc.
    We used to use my Bongo, but I haven’t got that any more.

The Peak District is one of only a few places I can think of where roads go to the top of good descents.
    The goyt is a pain for uplifts (Taxal is good though), but you can get 4 descents off mam tor then pindale, cavedale, etc.

You have to make some rules to stop people being idiots, (like DH inner tubes only, everyone drives once, etc)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Up lift makes a lot of sense, the climb up pin dale/dirtwood rake was tiresome in the sun yesterday, and though pin dale was enjoyable dirtwood was rather dull.

hora
    Free Member

Cat&Fiddle to Goyt via Errwood hall. Cheeky.

Pook fancy it next weekend?

AlexSimon

Make it early or late if doing it on a weekend.

hora
    Free Member

I have a 4yr old boy so theres no chance of me starting a ride at 10am until 2020 at least.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Make it early or late if doing it on a weekend.

^This

It would be hypocritical of me to be holier-than-thou WRT cheeky riding, but the Goyt Valley is a bit of a honey pot and there’s not that much to ride that isn’t cheeky.

benman
    Free Member

Yep, ‘no bikes’ signs up everywhere around the Goyt last time I went. Rangers must be cottoning on.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

starting a ride at 10am

Is that meant to be early or late? I’ve been out and got back by then. My boys are often still in their PJs 😉

M6TTF
    Free Member

technically its shooters clough from just over 2 mins in. usually ride that the opposite way, as the single track from the top of pym chair is awesome

M6TTF
    Free Member

but as above, if you want clear runs without raised eyebrows, you need to be out of the goyt by 10.

benman
    Free Member

usually ride that the opposite way

Me too, tough old climb though, especially in the wet.

M6TTF
    Free Member

yeah, sloppy when wet. but the gully is getting deeper and deeper on the pym chair side, makes it hard to climb without a bazillion pedal strikes 🙂

AlexSimon

M6TTF – Member

technically its shooters clough from just over 2 mins in. usually ride that the opposite way, as the single track from the top of pym chair is awesome
    Yes, me too. But then I like Stakeside as a descent, whereas not everyone I ride with is as happy.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cave Dale’ is closed to new replies.