Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Cav for gold?
  • mrhoppy

Why is everyone so unsure about Stannard leading out Cav? It was G and StNnard that led out the WC sprint and short of a bit of positioning around the last bend that worked pretty well.

clubber
    Free Member

The view from pros who’ve ridden the course seems to be that Box Hill is really quite easy, particularly now that it’s got a really smooth surface on the climb. The descent is poorly surfaced and tricky but neither of those should in themselves trouble someone like Cav.

If that’s really the case, it’s going to be very hard for a rider like Boonen, Cancellara, LLS, Sagan or Gilbert to get away and then actually stay away on the long, fairly flat run in to the finish.

clubber
    Free Member

And it’s maybe worth adding that before the 2011 World Champs no one would have said that a single team could control the entire race in the way that Team GB did…

AlexSimon

Klunk – Member

on the test event did they use the full width of the mall for the finish ?
    Yes:

Sam

I reckon we’ll see a large break of 15-20 riders away during the Box Hill reps which will then stay away til the end. I tip Sagan to make the break and win the sprint.

AlexSimon

There’s no way they’d let Sagan get in a group, surely!

yossarian
    Free Member

If it’s a bunch sprint you’d be brave to bet against Cavendish.

If a break stays away I’d be surprised.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just been watching an interview with Millar – has already spoken to German captain (on his pro team) about GB & Germany working together to keep it all together for a Cav/Greipl sprint. He also reckons US might help out too to keep Farrar in it.

This is what Ive heard too.

It makes me think its more likely that a group will breakaway to try & blow things apart.

It should make for a great race!

cheers_drive

The olympics road race is an interesting dynamic of teams with sprinters against one dayer individuals. There is an argument that the whole of the team should get medals.

tracknicko
    Free Member

US might help out too to keep Farrar in it.

a ha ha

jonba
    Free Member

could be really exciting. All the non sprinting teams are going to have to do something so they aren’t just also rans so I expect the classics suspects to go for a break.

I think team sky GB have what it takes to hold it together and get Cav to a sprint unless it is a very sizeable break away (10+ riders). That said I did think Jens nearly got the better of them in Paris. I wouldn’t fancy trying to get a break with Wiggins, Millar and Froome trying to catch – Timetrialtastic! Only fear would be losing Cav off their wheels.

Box hill isn’t really a hill by pro standards so I don’t think it will cause many problems for the genuine conteders but it will give some opportunity to a break.

What’s the course like for wind?

crazy-legs

This is the wonderful thing about the Olympic Road Race. Everyone has been saying “why Box Hill, it’s not a proper climb, blah blah” but what it’s done is put enough uncertainty into the race to make it difficult to call. It’s a hell of a long way from BH back into London though so you’d be brave to bet against a bunch sprint – on the other hand stranger things have happened and if it blows to pieces on the hill and GB are caught with riders all over the road, it’ll be carnage to control. Yes, Cav is odds on favourite if it comes down to a bunch sprint but there’s 250km of racing to go and there’s a lot can happen in that time!

clubber
    Free Member

Sky? 🙂

Garmin Sharp?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In fairness Sky sponsor team GB, they just can’t put their logo on the olympic kit as they‘ve not given LOCOG a massive backhander‘re not official games partners.

mrmo
    Free Member

My feeling is there will be a break from the non sprinting nations and a chase from those who want a sprint. BH is too far from the end for a solo Cancellara type attack. and i don’t see many springboards in the run in where an attack could be launched.

As a solo is going to fail, it will need a small group.

The alternative for the non sprinters is to go for attrition, keep the pace high and i mean stupidly high and try and blow everyone out the back, last man standing wins.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Has anyone got a course profile pic? I saw the one on The Cycle Show which was basically the hill x 9 nothing else.

(One of the many reasons why that program was crap)

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy trying to get a break with Wiggins, Millar and Froome trying to catch – Timetrialtastic!

Good point – 50km, flat roads, TTT with 3 of the best in the game.

Andy

There is an argument that the whole of the team should get medals

Well the rowers do so why not?

Klunk
    Free Member

Well the rowers do so why not?

i guess if they crossed the line all on the same bike they would 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just ridden some of the Surrey section, plenty of nice new smooth surface from W Byfleet to Shere – very fast, hedge lined for much and as it run N -> S quite sheltered as the wind is usually W -> E.
    A25 was a slog in the traffic, then to Box Hill – meh, did 2 laps, TBH 9 wouldn’t have been fun – and wanted to save some legs to play with the Pinarellari in Team Sky kit on the way back 🙂
    Didn’t fancy the L’head to Esher bit in the crush hour so turned back the reverse route.
    Although there’s no real hills apart from BH, it’s one of those routes that’s “not exactly flat” and “not exactly technical” but can see some places where pain may be inflicted by the sheer pace possible and some corners that should be fun at pro speeds.
    Nice to see plenty of bunting and freshly mown verges/greens in the villages, seems like plenty of support from locals despite what the media may have you believe.
    72 miles, just under 4 hrs, I’m not expecting a call from team GB any time soon but was fun to ride where heroes soon will tread 😉

ell_tell
    Free Member

i guess if they crossed the line all on the same bike they would

What if Cav & Wiggins form a massive breakaway. Then 1km with the rest of the field minutes behind Cav could stop, let Wiggins mount his bike & give him a backie over the line, thus claiming a gold medal for the both of them 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Cav for gold?’ is closed to new replies.