Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Caution please Snakes on trail!
  • haddock
    Free Member

Last ride at Dalby I stopped twice to avoid basking reptiles –

A Slow worm at the end of the section where the four bomb holes are. It refused to move until the dog poked her wet nose on it. Later on a baby Adder that was had to be carefully picked up with a couple of sticks and deposited out of harms way.

Sadly I came across a dying slow worm last year that had been run over by a bike, unlike most the snakes and keeping true to their name they tend to stay put. So if you see what looks like a bit of rubber pipe on the trail, please stop and jolly it on as they dont bite. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I mashed one on Exmoor last summer 🙁 Such lovely creatures too.

RealMan
    Free Member

haddock
    Free Member

slow worm

Snakes tend to shift when they sense vibration, Slow worm just continues to bask, it a real shame as their not exactly a thriving species.

motivforz
    Free Member

I had 3 snakebite punctures at Llandegla today, does that count? I didn't actually see the snake 😆

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i found one (slow worm) at llandegla last year, still on the trail but it had been squished a bit and i don't think it was going to survive. moved it anyway but it was probably too late…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Doh got excited then. I thought it was a new film that was coming out 🙁

spacehopper

We saw a snake/slow worm at dalby sitting in the middle of one of the fire roads too on saturday..! it had slithered off before i managed to get the camera out though.. 🙁

was the same colour as a slow worm but seemed a bit thin to be one..

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had 3 snakebite punctures at Llandegla today, does that count? I didn't actually see the snake

llandegla is as smooth as a babies ass, how on earth did you snakebite on that!!

Curly68
    Free Member

Was on the Red Route around Thetford yesterday afternoon with my 7yr old girl. She was in front and shouted snake! Turns out it was a small adder that took off into the undergrowth. Tried to get her to look and learn but she never looked back and off she went shouting! Bless her.
    First one I have seen there though.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Picked up a freshly flattened adder off the road at Strath Ruisdale today. Did think of bringing it home for the missus.

kimbers

i think you should call this guy

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

"I have had it with these motherloving snakes on this motherloving trail!"

langy
    Free Member

they are nothing to be excited about out here…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

A slow-worm is officially a legless lizard, not a snake …. 💡

… I'll get my coat

tron
    Free Member

Be careful how you go picking up slow-worms – if you grab them by their back end, they'll drop their tails.

They're considerably smaller than adders and grass snakes, and you can tell them because the head is a completely different shape to a snake's head – it merges smoothly into the body. Colouration varies, but there are plenty of pictures on google.

nickegg
    Free Member

Nevermind snakes on the trail, how about in a tree?

Last summer on the Quantocks, whilst relieving myself in front of a gnarled little Oak tree at the top of Smiths Coombe, i looked up to see an snake curled up in the tree just inches away from my snake 😯

Never finished a wee so quickly in my life!!!!!

BigJohn

Snakebite spotted a slowworm on Friday, coming up from Hawkshead to Carron Crag, then got himself a snakebite on the way down.

ski
    Free Member

I have a nest of slow worms at my allotment all tucked up under a old carpet, must have 20-30 under there!

They range in size from a the size of a large worm to something thick as your finger and 12 inches long I guess.

Great to see them there, no slugs on my plot 😉

They do lose their tails easly, so best not to pick them up if you do see them, they are a protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, even though its tempting to pick them up for a closer look 😉

stumpy01

We saw an adder about 15mins out of the car park at Kirroughtree 3 weeks ago.
    I think it was warming itself right in the middle of the trail. We stopped got a few pics and it slithered off into the grass. First time I've seen a snake in the wild.

stevomcd
    Free Member

We get quite a few of these wee guys around:

More or less the same thing as an adder – all black ones are pretty common round here.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not seen a snake yet but yesterday there were some yellow and green off road toads up on Mt Keen

Older riders may remember these

Three_Fish
    Free Member

They're considerably smaller than adders and grass snakes, and you can tell them because the head is a completely different shape to a snake's head – it merges smoothly into the body. Colouration varies, but there are plenty of pictures on google.

This the the Slow Worm I encountered at (forgotten name of SW Stane) last year…

tangent
    Free Member

cool! i remember the Offroad Toad…never actually seen one , a very rare species indeed!

glenh
    Free Member

I've had it with these muthaf**king snakes on this muthaf**king trail!

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

accidentaly run over a adder in the cheviots last summer . i feel guilty every time i pass the spot on the way to alwinton!

ski
    Free Member

Great pic three_fish

Anyone know what time Slow Worms give birth?

tron
    Free Member

Round about September. The young look like gold/pale yellow bits of bootlace – about 4 inches long.

odannyboy
    Free Member

how do you identify an adder then? how dangerous are they?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member
    xcstu
    Free Member

Here's an adder I spotted at Swinley forest around a month ago 😉

thatscold
    Free Member

Another adder at Swinley

Edit. sorry crap picture

snakebite
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

Snakebite spotted a slowworm on Friday, coming up from Hawkshead to Carron Crag, then got himself a snakebite on the way down.

It was Moor Lane where I punctured, everyone knows Carron Crag is a footpath.

timbur
    Free Member

My chickens love slow worms! Got loads in the garden and it always make for an entertaining skirmish (please not, the chickens find them, I don't feed them to the chickens)

haddock
    Free Member

Stevomcd & Langy – Those dont look like the type of snakes i'd just try to 'jolly along', the black one looks seriously annoyed – yeah i'd give that a wide berth, it could the leave trail in its own time. 😕

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aye, not my photo mind you. I very nearly stood on one while out walking last summer. Found one lying in the middle of the road last week and was torn between not wanting it to get splattered and not wanting to get too close!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Caution please Snakes on trail!’ is closed to new replies.