Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Caught speeding today 130mph+
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

In this, going around Silverstone.

Conference in the morning and a track session in the afternoon – it’s a breathtaking bit of kit on the track. If you get an invitation to one, grab it.

samuri
    Free Member

Is it an Aston?

piemonster

This thread seemed to have such potential

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not saying how fast this went today but it is more powerful than what you drove

Mind you, I would have loved to sling the Aston around the track.

Gary_C

Nice! Was it a passenger ride, or did you drive it?

EDIT: The Aston I mean.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Disappointed too, 130 on a track is actually quite slow!

WCA is that an SLK 350 ? Fast yes, but not great through the bends

wrecker
    Free Member

Had a go around silverstone in a Juno. It was the fastest thing on the track. Ferraris, astons, porsches etc etc all pulled straight to the right as soon as they saw the thing in the mirror. It was **** mental.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

SLK 55 AMG with Kleemann S8 tuning including supercharger, LSD, chipping and other stuff including suspension. 596BHP. I bought it today at 2pm and am still giggling at what it does. I turned the traction control of briefly and pressed the loud pedal at about 40mph, it spun the wheels at 75mph as it changed gear. The suspension and LSD means it does corners too. Truely a scarey fun car.

johndoh
    Free Member

For useless people like us, a Lotus Elise (or an Exige Supercharged for the slightly less useless) is what you need at a track day.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Wca ……..I feel your days are numbered …….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

singlecrack – You are not the first to mention thst…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It is an Aston, and believe me for a first ever drive round a track I was ok with over 130 thanks, it was the corners that brain fried me, it seemed to bite harder the more I turned in on a “balanced throttle” – see learning the lingo too!

WCA – should a man who falls off ladders and is called WCA really be allowed out in that thing?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve done loads of track days. Favourite track car so far is a Caterham. The smile on my face while I was sliding that thing around corners almost split my face in two.

Fastest car was the Formula Ford. I was passing £100k cars like they were stood still in that.

3sisters1-4250 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

If you can get sponsored onto a Palmer sports day then it is massively recommended. Wonderful day that was. M3 was the best racing car there for me.

Worst track day car was the Ferrari 360. Horrible to drive, not that quick, had pedals made for a small lady (I had to take my shoes off) and felt like a badly made Fiat inside.

finding out my foot is too big by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s an utterly brilliant experience. I’d recommend it to anyone. I was surprised at how brief the briefing was; Pull to the right and try not to crash, have a good day! I was expecting them to show us the track, how to take the corners etc. nuts. The Juno looked a bit like this;

I didn’t get as many laps as I’d have liked. Some person thought that a track smart car was a good idea, and rolled it. The marshals were rolling their eyes, apparently he’d rolled it 3 times before.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Samuri – glad I went for the Aston not the Ferrari. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Agrees with samurai – easier to go quick in a small car (Caterham, Westfield, lotus etc) than a big fat ‘supercar’ for us novices.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

WCA – should a man who falls off ladders and is called WCA really be allowed out in that thing?

What could possibly go wrong?

I haven’t broken anything for nine months since doing the ankle (if you don’t include the broken toe) and I have a clean licence and 9 year NCB. Even when I got nicked doing 140mph the policeman said I wasn’t driving dangerously, just too fast but that was a long time ago

binners

I’ve been pulled at 130 in a 50! Many moons ago, when i was young and stupid, on my old GSXR. Copper on a bike at about 1 in the morning on empty roads. He’d been after me for a good while apparently. He gave me a telling off – ” if You’d have done one single rear observation in the last 10 miles, you’d have known that I was behind you” – then told the girlfriend to ‘slow him down a bit!’ then he turned round, flashed his lights, gave me a wave and buggered off

I think he just enjoyed the chase. Can’t see anyone getting away with that nowadays. I thought my license was gone for sure! I had 9 points at the time anyway. The joys of being a motorbike courier for a living. Happy (more innocent) days! 😀

freddyg
    Free Member

<extinguishes torch> <puts pitchfork back in the garage>

Track days are great. I’ve done a few, but only ever on my motorbike.

samuri
    Free Member

Track days are great. I’ve done a few, but only ever on my motorbike.

I did a ‘knee down’ day at some place in Derbyshire. They guaranteed we would all get our knees down. And they were right! VF250’s. Not very quick but great for leaning over. By the end of the session everyone was easily taking two of the corners on the track with our knees dragging along the tarmac.

tymbian
    Free Member

WCA = Topper..

takisawa2

WCA, was it expensive ?
    It sounded expensive. 😉

leftyboy
    Free Member

130 on the track is not bad for a first go.

A few years ago I hit the limiter on my M3 at Silverstone. A while later I drove an ex F3 car and realised just how slow road cars really are round a track.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ex partners daughter was on placement from uni with Bentley & went to Rockingham for a PA day. She did a couple of laps round with Colin Bell in a VERY fast vehicle.
    She said she was ‘in a state of shock’ when she got out of the car.

wrecker
    Free Member

WCA = Topper..

By a bloody mile. He owns that thing.

loddrik
    Free Member

That Merc is horrendous, but hats off as I’m sure you worked hard to be able to afford it.

somafunk

The merc probably cost less than a new middle of the range Ford Mondeo, i know what i’d rather have in my driveway – good choice of car WCA. A mate has just bought a 3 yr old 5.0L supercharged Range Rover with every possible extra for not “that much cash really”, it’s an utterly fabulous thing to drive and the interior is so luxurious to spend time in, it’s even good fun when you boot it although it does drink fuel at an alarming rate.

How many airbags does the merc have?, safety first eh 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

Who cares. That’s the kind of thing you want to die in!

trevron73
    Free Member

I got pulled at 126 for 7 miles in 2008 – i was “racing” a plain clothes st220 when his blue party lights came on , he asked me how many points i had (none ) i asked him did he lean over to start the measurement device and was it dangerous to do so ? he asked what are you driving and how much faster can it go ? we shook hands and off we went ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I like the Merc for a couple few reasons:

1) It looks pretty much like the normal SLK which (I think) is a preety enough little car, not too showy, not too dull and not too ungainly.

2) The work that has been done is well balanced improving the handling as well as the power output

3) I paid about £60K less than it cost new

4) The noise when accelerating makes me giggle like a girl

It has lots of airbags and does 27mpg – these aren’t reasons I like it but they were mentioned earlier.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Who cares. That’s the kind of thing you want to die in!

That’s fine, just as long as he doesn’t take out some poor bugger nearby when it happens.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Ultima GTR every time. 5 seconds faster round the Top Gear track than the Koenigsegg and multiple world records for a production car.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MrsWCA said NO! when I suggested an Ultima as out daily driver 🙁

PS Not planning to kill myself in the Merc

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@WCA bet you weren’t ‘planning’ to do the ankle either!! 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

Like the Merc WCA and was thinking of something like this for the WIfe for the summer. NIce.

I have been watching the TT and can’t now comprehends the speed. Something that has effected me now that I’m 45 and drive a Volvo.

natrix
    Free Member

Aerial atom gets my vote as best track car – goes past the ferraris etc like they’re stood still

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well something had to go…

This : https://mercedesclforsale.wordpress.com/

sbd16v
    Free Member

i was a trackday man myself before getting rid of it and getting into mtbing.

few videos over the years first one happens to feature a arial atom lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMHYP-7HWYo

this was the last video i took before i broke the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9fqJ0cVlU

shotsaway
    Free Member

WCA – I work on an oil rig and I would like to buy your car. I’ll send the payment via PP and my courier will come and collect the car. 😉

iolo
    Free Member

That advert is missing a big fat woman, loads of rust.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Caught speeding today 130mph+’ is closed to new replies.