• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cats piss
  • scotroutes

A whole new phenomenon for me. Some Northwave boots have taken to smelling like the local felines have been using them as a latrine (they haven’t)

What’s the best way of removing this foul odour?

(And as an aside – why only these boots?)

mattyfez

Make sure they are fully dry then a small sprinkle of baking soda in each one.. Try to distribute it evenly.

24 hrs later there should be no detectable smell.

BlobOnAStick

Like my son’s Nike footy boots…….*poowee*

I got him to dunk his boots in a weak Miltons solution when cleaning them. Smell gone 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

That’s just plain spooky. The current wife has just ordered mine off the big double rad in the lounge as the ‘smell of rotting maggoty corpse and cat pee’ is making her feel ill………That was from Saturdays ride and my Shimano winter boots. 😯

belugabob
    Free Member

Could have been worse – the cat could have had a pair of bombers 😉

JAG

Best way; clean them, bag them and then put them in the Freezer over night.

-20 Celsius will kill all the Bacteria and remove the smell 😆

Sundayjumper

I like the freezer suggestion !

FWIW my dog walking boots have been getting cat-pissy so I’ll give that a try.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I had to move my boots, as it stunk the house out. Last night bought some smelly stuff for them and awaiting its arrival. Hope it will work on the daughters shoes too !

globalti
    Free Member

Shimano and some other cycling shoes have a layer of what looks like cardboard underneath the insole. This gets damp and warm and is the ideal medium for bacterial growth. The bacteria attack the board and sweat residues and they make smelly chemicals like amines.

The best way to prevent it is to remove the insoles after every ride and allow that liner to dry.

Edit: going on that explanation, a squirt of ski boot sanitiser or even underarm deodorant might work.

Saccades
    Free Member

Freezing will not kill the bacteria.

Napisan is ace at cleaning up this type of smell.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I sprayed mine with some air conditioning deodoriser , I have ( in the trade) it has a bacteria agent in it and smells like roses. This means the boots stay in the house for now. Still waiting on my shoe spray off ebay…….

scaredypants

there was a spate 😳 of stories of this a few years ago on here

don’t remember the make but IIRR it was thought to be the glue (?)

robgclarkson
    Free Member

hmmm my northwave winter boots stink something foul, they have to live in the garage as a result 🙁 , and they’ve never been wee’d on… i assumed it was something i’d trodden in… but maybe not!

sweepy
    Free Member

Sorbothane insoles do this for me, its rank.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oooh, NW eh? I thought the stench was slightly different to my usual ‘Moroccan road kill donkey with a soupçon of guano’.

JAG

Freezing will not kill the bacteria

Freezing won’t kill all the bacteria but it will kill most. Enough to clear up the smell either way 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cats piss’ is closed to new replies.