Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cats – Did your cat choose to move into your house by just turning up?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I posted on here some weeks ago about a new cat trying to move into the house where I live and the disappointment of its owner that it did not like her multi cat/child house. Well, its moved in here now on what seems a permanent basis and the prev owner is getting another pet. Our 1st cat seems surprisingly very happy about it and they spend all their time together.

Both the cats that now live in the house moved in on their own, just turning up and insisting. The first turned out to have been deliberately left behind with no food or water when the owner moved abroad and has been here several years.

Did your cat choose your house and just move in? I wondered how common this is? They can be incredibly insistent!

rootes1

vets often report that they see the same cats being brought in by different 'owners' where that cat has different names butis the same cat…

suppose getting tow lots of food, lodgings and fuss is offset by having to got to the vets more often!

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Yep, followed us home one night, been here 3 years now!!

z1ppy

my m8 lost a cat to his neighbours, he'd tried to keep her but she wasn't having it. I don't think the cat like my m8's g/f's cat…

elliptic
    Free Member

Mum's did just the same. Used to belong to a family round the corner with several small kids. The cat decided it preferred a quieter life 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

My brother and my dad both had cats moved in with them.

I somehow doubt that would happen to me!

yossarian
    Free Member

yep ours did. he was living in our shed over the winter and when I knocked the shed down he decided to move in! couldn't say no really as I'd just made him homeless.

Trimix
    Free Member

Our house seems to be a retirement home for our elderly neighbours cat.

samuri
    Free Member

One of our cats keeps having issues with living with us and will bugger off for two or three weeks, I suspect the issues revolve around 'not enough food' or 'not enough attention' so she just walks. She's the hungriest cat I've ever known. She'll eat her own food, then the other cats food and still be clamouring for more and she never gets any fatter, skinny as a rake. We thought it was worms but she's wormed regularly and gets regular checkups at the vets who say she's fine.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure she goes to the mad woman's house across the road, during her disappearances we see her slinking around in that garden sometimes.

She's so ungrateful, it's not like we don't put a roof over her head!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ours moved in with us 19 years ago, still hasn't got bored of us.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i thought that was how everyone got their cat?

i've got at least 3 trying to move in at the moment.

a mental black and white one i've called 'skippy' because he's only got 3 legs is my favourite at the moment.

or maybe the creaky old white one, who seems to like being called 'turbo'

tails
    Free Member

We had one move in when I was a kid we would give it a little food then kick it out. One day when we kicked out my dad shut the door to quick and lopped the end of its tail off, never came back after that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Same as yossarian, found a small black cat shivering in the coal hole a couple of year back and since then it's been making itself more a more at home.

sweepy
    Free Member

ours turned up on the doorstep, after a night of -10 and just before the snow hit. Tiny and half wild, but by the time the snow melted she learnt to tolerate us.

nicko74

sweepy, that's not a cat that's a sheep!

Surfr
    Free Member

My first 2 cats came from a local rescue home. After a year, one left. He was never very sociable compared to the other cat. Both were neutered males. The week he left, there was a letter in the local paper from a distraught woman around the corner, complaining about a dog off the leash who had mauled a grey cat on the playing field opposite her house. I figured it must have been our 'Smokey' and continued about our lives. 6 months later he comes back through the catflap one afternoon. I had to take photos of him and compare them to old photos as he's grown a fair bit. All the markings matched up though. It was our Smokey. He only stayed a few days and then left never to be seen again. I've since sold the house to my cousin who says he's not seen him since. When I moved, 'Bandit', the other cat moved with me. We moved to a bungallo next door to my parents and he soon learned that if he popped next door to my parents during the day, he would get extra food. He still lives there now!

Smokey:

Bandit:

Now we have 2 new cats who seem happy enough to live with us. We had a spell when all the cats in the neighbourhood thought that our conservatory was a little cat hostel, but they don't seem to come back so much now. I'm sure some of them would have moved in if they could.

New permanent residents, Leo and Flash (rescue home's names, not ours):

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if a cat tried to move into my house i'd be more than welcoming with BOTH barrels*

*not really**

**but i hate cats***

***even your lovely cute ones above

rootes1

soon this will just be the Le Chat forum….

Rosie choose us from panel of people wondering around the Cat Protection centre..

Must of spotted that we would be a soft touch.. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

RSPCA Recommended Squatter Cat Prevention Device.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

More really nice stories and lovely pics, thanks. I still feel a bit guilty about 'cat knapping' but it seems very determined not to go back to its house. Given up taking it back as its always back here with our cat within hours at the very most. At least its a nice cat!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

My neighbours have a range of moggies, most of which live at least temporarily in my house. Raoul the Magnificent

was a permanent fixture for a while but has now moved a few houses down the street because he didn't like the new arrival,

who is now never out of the house. They have now acquired a new kitten which bawheid above is schooling in the ways of living the dream.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cats – Did your cat choose to move into your house by just turning up?’ is closed to new replies.