Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 802 total)
  • Catholic Church and other religions!
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Watching the pope on the news, just find it so bloody weird how many religions around the world can become so big and powerful, all based on faith over fact.

Gullible bunch IMO

My religion is Bill Murray, he’s a funny man, i say thats fact and I guess that’s how religions begin.

Crazy!

footflaps

Watching the pope on the news, just find it so bloody weird how many religions around the world can become so big and powerful, all based on faith over fact.

Never underestimate the power of fear and ignorance…..

ski
    Free Member

Tea anyone?

piemonster

Tea and biscuit time

piemonster

I’m going for hob nobs

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s after six, so a beer please.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m going for hob nobs

Chocolate I trust?

Lifer
    Free Member

We’re going to need a bigger boat.

ski
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m hitting the communion wine.

molgrips
    Free Member

New here, aren’t you?

Coyote
    Free Member

I bet Woppit’s spider senses are tingling…

piemonster

Chocolate I trust?

Darn tooting I am

CountZero

Never underestimate the power of fear and ignorance…..

A close friend of mine of many years standing, who is bright, intelligent, has worked for Dyson, and the court system, among various jobs, is also a regular church-going Catholic, as befitting a good convent girl of Irish lineage.
    Call her fearful and ignorant, and I would be running for cover…
    Having said that, as a Pantheist, I don’t understand the need, or have it myself, but I refuse to be critical of those who do.

Cougar

A close friend of mine… has worked for Dyson, and… is also a regular church-going Catholic

Sucker.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Having said that, as a Pantheist, I don’t understand the need, or have it myself, but I refuse to be critical of those who do.

There’s no doubt it has the power to do good but….

footflaps

I didn’t mean that all church goers are currently fearful and ignorant (although I’m sure a large portion are), I meant that the reason the Churches have acquired so much power over the centuries is by exploiting fear and ignorance. Not so long ago you could be burnt at the stake for questioning their beliefs, which I believe would make most Dyson employees somewhat fearful…

molgrips
    Free Member

I meant that the reason the Churches have acquired so much power over the centuries is by exploiting fear and ignorance

Welcome to 200 years ago. I suggest you start reading the next volume of your history book. In fact, you’d better re-read all the previous volumes, you sound pretty ignorant.

footflaps

The OP’s question was how they became so powerful.

They’ve been losing power over the last 200 years….

Cougar

Their main weapons are fear and surprise, surprise and fear.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I meant that the reason the Churches have acquired so much power over the centuries is by exploiting fear and ignorance
    Welcome to 200 years ago. I suggest you start reading the next volume of your history book. In fact, you’d better re-read all the previous volumes, you sound pretty ignorant.

Fear and ignorance might not be the preferred method these days, surely it’s now just ignorance? Ignorance on a foundation of fear and ignorance built over thousands of years?

Don’t quote me on that though! My knowledge on the matter is weak at best!

I suppose what I really would like to know is how do new generations of believers (whatever their chosen religion), believe what they believe?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I didn’t expect you to say that…

slackalice
    Free Member

Hark! The herald angels pronounce another STW forum classic in no particular order – horse, dead and flog.

I actually went out for a bike ride today 😀

tacopowell
    Free Member

I actually went out for a bike ride today

Any divine intervention involved?

slackalice
    Free Member

It was a spiritual experience! Especially when the sun came out to play 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

People’s intolerance towards other people beliefs is pretty shocking.

TheFlyingOx

and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope.

footflaps

Bit more generic than that, people’s intolerance towards any other lifestyle choice that differs to their own eg Motorists vs Cyclists, the list is endless…..

footflaps

and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope.

Except for the Pope himself, whose seen the light, had enough and want’s to shack up with some 18 yr old ex-GF of Berlusconi* and enjoy the rest of his life!

*probably..

tacopowell
    Free Member

Your right, I’m wrong to question anyones believes, intolerant towards defiantly not, just really curious as to how the scale and power involved with religion has become as vast as it has.

nealglover
    Free Member

Agreed.

It’s pitiful really 😐

footflaps

as to how the scale and power involved with religion has become as vast as it has

You should read the War on Heresy – covers this subject in great detail.

BigJohn

Cougar – Moderator
    A close friend of mine… has worked for Dyson, and… is also a regular church-going Catholic
    Sucker.

😆

TheFlyingOx

It’s ok to take the moral high ground, but I think the issue a lot of folk have is that the intolerance of atheists usually involves derision of the religious and pompous “they’re all idiots/I pity them” discussions like this, whereas the intolerance of religionists usually involves claiming the right to dictate the minutiae of everyday life, what’s taught in schools, who can marry who, etc, and if you live in some parts of the world a very real threat to those not of the same world view.

footflaps

You don’t have to be intolerant to pity people 😉

Cougar

I don’t think it’s intolerance, and I think it’s a little disingenuous to posit that it is. I respect anyone’s right to believe whatever they like; free country and all that. I just reject the idea that religion is ‘special’ and can automatically demand respect because of its self-proclaimed specialness. Also, if those beliefs impact others (as in, for a random example, the same-sex marriage ‘debate’), we’re going to have a disagreement.

I’m not intolerant of someone believing they’re a teapot, but I’d probably call their critical judgement into question, and wouldn’t want them to have influence on governmental policy.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Also, if those beliefs impact others (as in, for a random example, the same-sex marriage ‘debate’), we’re going to have a disagreement.

What about the less random example of slavery?

Cougar

I don’t know, what about it?

footflaps

I’m not intolerant of someone believing they’re a teapot, but I’d probably call their critical judgement into question, and wouldn’t want them to have influence on governmental policy.

+1 Give ’em an inch and they take a mile eg one day it’s teapots and before you know it they’ll suggest we let Bishops sit in the House of Lords

TuckerUK
    Free Member

but I refuse to be critical of those who do.

You refuse to criticise those who mutilate children’s genitals, subjugate women, and discriminate against gays? Doesn’t that make you just as bad?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 802 total)

The topic ‘Catholic Church and other religions!’ is closed to new replies.