Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cathkin Braes Glasgow ALL parking now closed for commonwealth games
  • julzm
    Free Member

Just been up to Cathkin Braes this evening to find all car parks (main large car park and large lay by at the propellor) have been fenced off and closed until after the games. Security in site say there is no parking anywhere. I asked them why there had not been any advance notice of the closure and they said people had been complaining all day and they’d passed it on. Not their fault obviously so I wasn’t going to give them a hard time over it.

Typical Glasgow city council – close the place for 7 weeks but no notice.

It is still possible to ride the trails for now although very limited parking (maybe 6 cars top) at the layby further down the road.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where will all the doggers go! 😯

iainc

Should certainly change the summer evening car park dynamics a bit 😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

went by on way to work this am. Main road has traffic lights and down to one lane, car park fully fenced off with construction stuff inside, portaloos, couple of security guys etc. Pity there is no info anywhere about it. There is very limited parking, maybe 6 cars max in the lay by opposite the car park, otherwise it’s down towards Carmunnock and ride up

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Bummer there was no advance warning, but it just maans that you need to pedal a bit further.

iainc

aye, just a bit odd that it came out of the blue. I rode there last week and saw that here had been a few (good) trail tweaks. Not sure when they actually shut the trails for final prep though…

richmtb

I was up on Saturday and the car park was fenced off.

How hard would it have been to put a sign up?

iainc

rich – I was surprised that there were a couple of security bods walking around the place at 7 this morning – I presume it’s to guard the portaloos 🙂

Planning to ride there tomorrow late afternoon, assuming access available at top somewhere…

richmtb

Iain, were they actually doing anything to the road when you passed. The temporary traffic lights seemed to be there just to guard the cones in the road, there is nothing actually happening on the road.

I wonder if this is what we are going to be greeted with at all the venues, a traffic light and cone parade

iainc

Iain, were they actually doing anything to the road when you passed. The temporary traffic lights seemed to be there just to guard the cones in the road, there is nothing actually happening on the road.

looks like they are doing works around the wall, footpath, probably some remodelling of the entrance, which is long overdue anyway. Given the speed some folks bomb up that road in cars they need some separation for safety of the workers.

iainc

this from Facebook : ‘Cathkin Braes Mountain bike track. Good morning Richard, unfortunately we don’t have a listing of dates of trail or car park closures. The page is updated by volunteers and we can only circulate the information we receive. We have asked LES Glasgow for some information and will post once we know. For now we can assume that for the entirety of the Commonwealth Games the trails will be closed. Prior to this we can assume the trails will be open with the car park being closed. We believe that LES Glasgow are trying to get access for park users to the Windfarm car park’

iainc

Was down there tonight and got some more info. Car park will be shut for alterations till Games. Trails remain open as normal.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

(flame me if this is a stupid question) but I take it you only need tickets for the stand/presentation area and you don’t need them to watch them on the course.

richmtb

(flame me if this is a stupid question) but I take it you only need tickets for the stand/presentation area and you don’t need them to watch them on the course.

Its actually a very good question.

I applied for ticket three times and got SFA.

check out this link PDF

Page 7 has a map of the “ticketed areas” thet suggests the rest of the park you should be free to view from.

I’ll be going up on the day to have a look anyway

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Cheers Rich. I’ve just put in for a days holiday, so I’ll take a wee ride up on the day.

iainc

I believe there will be stewards on accessible entry points to dissuade people without tickets from getting close to the trails. How that will be done is another matter 🙂

Whether there will be a policy of stewards challenging spectators entering outwith the main entry points and asking to see their tickets I dont know…

iainc

Dales Cycles
    11 mins ·
    One for you Cathkin Braes stalwarts. Official word from the GCC this morning is that Cathkin Braes MTB trail will close for 7 days starting on Thursday the 24th of July to facilitate the Commonwealth Games racing.
    Spread the word!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Dales Cycles
    11 mins

? What the fastest lap?

lovewookie

Whether there will be a policy of stewards challenging spectators entering outwith the main entry points and asking to see their tickets I dont know..

suppose that depends on whether your ticket is for access to the spectator area, or it’s a ticket to watch the event. looks like it may be the former?

iainc

? What the fastest lap?

😆

now that would be fast !!!!

iainc

suppose that depends on whether your ticket is for access to the spectator area, or it’s a ticket to watch the event. looks like it may be the former?

I was aiming more at those who will try and get in with no ticket at all 🙂 which might have been my approach, but alas down south that day with work

vmgscot

Are the Stewards already onsite practicing their duties…I’m sure I saw two geezers in a quieter part of the trail discussing the cost to “enter the bombhole area” the other day?

iainc

from Facebook :

Cathkin Braes Mountain bike track.
    28 mins ·
    We have had some information regarding the usage of Cathkin Braes in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games.
    The course will be closed from the 24th July for seven days.
    The car park area will be closed from now until after the event and is being set up for television etc. We would like to encourage all users to access from the Ardencraig Road entrance next to St Martins church. This is where the proposed visitors centre will be.
    The course will be being worked on from now until the games including features being developed, reshape and maintained. Please be aware that sections of trail may be closed.
    We will update the page with any extra information we receive. We are sorry for the lack of updates when the car park on Cathkin Road was closed.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Cathkin Braes Mountain bike track.
    28 mins ·

Ahh I see now Iain 😳 you’re quoting from somewhere. I was wondering what Dales Cyldes 11 mins meant in your 1st post. I think I had two spoonfull of dozy powder today.

iainc

😆

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cathkin Braes Glasgow ALL parking now closed for commonwealth games’ is closed to new replies.