Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Catching a train at Geneva Airport
  • muzzle
    Free Member

I’m flying to Geneva on Wednesday, and then getting the train to Wilderswil. Doing the return journey on the Sunday. Can I buy a ticket on the train or do I need one from the ticket machine/counter before I board?

I’m just planning to pay full regular fare (I’ve looked at the half price card and the Swiss Transfer tickets and they’re not cost effective) – will it be cheaper to buy a return on the way out, or is it just the same price as buying singles each way?

Thanks.

blacka01
    Free Member

You need to get it from a ticket machine before you board, don’t get caught on the train without a ticket! It’s easy with the machine though and you can choose the English option if your French or German aren’t up to much.
    Not sure about your specific trip, but for most journeys I’ve taken in Switzerland Returns are only valid for the day and in any case have been double the price of a single.

Check out http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html for more details

muzzle
    Free Member

Yeah I had a look at that earlier, and it appears it’s no cheaper to buy a return than 2 singles. Thanks for confirming – just wanted to check I hadn’t missed anything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can ask at the ticket office, everyone speaks excellent English. SBB mobile app is excellent and you can buy mobile tickets online. I’ll be catching a train from there about 8pm on Wednesday 🙂

As above

76.60 one way
    153.20 return

About 3hrs with a change at Bern and Interlaken

BTW its worth asking the hotel (if you ate staying in one) if they/tourist office have a deal on train tickets

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks Jambalaya – I’ll ask before my journey back to Geneva.

mrblobby
    Free Member

As above

76.60 one way
    153.20 return

What crazy uncomplicated ticking pricing is this?! There should be at least a dozen variations on price depending on when, how and who buy your ticket from 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s clean, it’s on time, it does what you need and they don’t get shitty about people taking bikes on.

What a hopeless system, it will never catch on.

martinhutch

What crazy uncomplicated ticking pricing is this?! There should be at least a dozen variations on price depending on when, how and who buy your ticket from

I’m sure there must be a way to buy 17 tickets covering different parts of the journey and save a few quid. Madness otherwise.

As a long-time commuter into Paddington, I was shocked to the core after catching a train between Geneva and Lausanne. Surely these half-empty, clean, punctual trains are no way to run a modern railway?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Catching a train at Geneva Airport’ is closed to new replies.