Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Catch 22 Is alive and well at my bank
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

I live in Spain but have a UK bank account as well as a Spanish one.
    As I have no day to day need to use my PIN number as all my transactions use internet banking so being a bit crap, I’ve forgotten it. No problem, I’m back in the UK at the moment so I’ll call into the branch and get a new one. So in I go and explain my incompetence,the “computer says no” teller says, we cannot give out your PIN in branch, we will have to notify HO and post it to you.
    I sort of understand this, identity fraud and all that, so I say, I’m only here for a week, any chance of an exception but get a blank no. I say so you’ll post it to my address in Spain and I’ll just suck it up this visit? Ah, no we dont post documents overseas! So I’m completely stuffed, how is it that the banking industry can have a “There may be dragons”attitude to the world outside this island? Words fail me.

CountZero

Do you have someone who it can be posted to in the UK, who could then post it on to you in Spain?

Drac

Sounds like a very sensible bank.

Why not ask someone to open it for you or post it to you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambourgie
    Free Member

Always write your pin number on the card for which it applies.

akira

In Roman numerals though.

jambourgie
    Free Member

When in Rome…

Dickyboy

What address do they have for you on their files, UK or Spain? As countzero says, we deal with all my sisters barclaycard stuff as there is no postal service to where she lives

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could tattoo the PIN on your eyelids..

HTHs

Greybeard
    Free Member

I would have expected that you could log in to your internet banking and reset the PIN. Oh, but then they post you the new one…

The problem is, there’s no way they’ll ever post it to anywhere other than the address they have for you in their records. If that’s in Spain, they seem to have set you up with an inoperable account.

matt_outandabout

Live in Spain = get a Spanish account ASAP to prevent this.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[Genuine question] Is it possible for you to:
    1) Change your postal address online to a relative/mate
    2) Request new PIN
    3) Relative/Mate opens PIN and sends it to you (sms)
    4) You pop down to cash machine and change PIN

Drac

If that’s in Spain, they seem to have set you up with an inoperable account.

I bet they didn’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About to hit some of the same…
    Having a look here but not sure if it works for banking
    https://www.ukpostbox.com/forwarding/mail-and-post-forwarding

Managed to forget to close 1 account when I left which I have just got internet access to, will change the address to one of these and try and get my driving license changed to that one too as I have 3 weeks of nowhere to live when I get back and first place after that will most likely be temporary.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I would have expected that you could log in to your internet banking and reset the PIN. Oh, but then they post you the new one…

Fairly sure with my app you can change your own pin without getting posted even specify what pin?

Infact my alifax credit card app will show you the number.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Mattoab, I do have a Spanish bank account which we use day to day but given our pension payments are in Sterling, we have them paid into a UK bank then periodically transfer to Spain.
    The bank has our Spanish address and has this year sent stuff to this address, getting it sent to a UK address would be far too messy and wouldn’t really solve the problem short term.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Catch 22 Is alive and well at my bank’ is closed to new replies.