Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cat with failing kidneys – peeing all over the house
  • withersea
    Free Member

Hi looking for some help with one of our cats. He is young at 3, but has failing kidneys for reasons why the vets can’t figure out. He is currently on a long course of antibiotics as the failure might have been linked to an infection.

He has stopped going outside and has taken to peeing all over the ground floor of the house even though he has a litter tray. Some of it is scenting with small amounts (including on people – joy) and other times it is clearly full on bladder relief.

Felliway helped for a while, but no longer makes a difference.

Any a) useful suggestions b) comical suggestions to make me laugh whilst I wipe up cat wee.

No kill the cat suggestions please.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

(Since my first suggestion is banned, Cat nappies actually turns up a fair number of results on Google)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It could be litter tray resentment and he’s blaming it for making him feel rough, you could try another tray somewhere else in the house. Not a comedy kill the cat reply but if the kidney failure thing has been going on a while it may be what’s best for the cat sooner rather than later. 🙁

lazybike
    Free Member

Is kidney failure painful? I’ve had kidney stones and that was painful.

Pigface
    Free Member

Sorry to say but if the kidneys are failing it might be kinder.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cat nappies

for Pissycats?

DezB
    Free Member

if the kidneys are failing it might be kinder.

Yes, chocolate eggs aren’t good for cats.

windydave13
    Free Member

I’m no cat expert as ours is more like a dog, but have you tried different cat litter. Perhaps he doesn’t like the smell of it? We’re using the natural based one from B&M. Seems to keep the wee smell down well

Pigface
    Free Member

DezB Bravo 😆

withersea
    Free Member

Tried three lots of cat litter. Am going to have a serious look at cat nappies now I know they exist.

Can’t face putting him down as he is he appears to be happy and in no pain at the moment, so I’d rather not so goodbye because it’s inconvenient for me.

Cougar

Am going to have a serious look at cat nappies

Presumably they work by making him sleepy?

Cougar

Can’t face putting him down as he is he appears to be happy and in no pain at the moment

Not saying it’s the case necessarily here, but cats are very good at hiding when they’re not well.

chip
    Free Member

I had my last dog put to sleep after his kidneys failed but only after he stopped eating and drinking as my vet assured me when he was first diagnosed that he was not in any pain due to his condition.
    My dog was old 17 years, so something was going to do for him eventually.

No chance someone could of poisoned your cat either on purpose or accidentally. There are some horrible people out there.

P20

What car food? My understanding is dry cat food is bad for their kidneys.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You could try putting more litter trays about.

spursn17
    Free Member

Is kidney failure painful? I’ve had kidney stones and that was painful.

You may have had dodgy kidneys like the cat, but can you lick your own ar5e?

footflaps

Not saying it’s the case necessarily here, but cats are very good at hiding when they’re not well.

Yep, they are masters at hiding illness until it gets really serious.

JoeG
    Free Member

I lost Gizmo, my first cat to kidney failure; he was 19 though. Cats don’t show symptoms (excessive urination) until they have lost about 2/3 of their kidney capacity according to my vet.

I currently have another cat, Frank, that was in kidney failure about a year ago. He’s pretty much normal, now. (I had blood work done and one of his kidney parameters is at the top of the normal range, the others are well within the normal range) Unlike yours, he always used the litter box, though.

What helped him was kidney specific prescription cat food:

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-feline-kd-dry
    http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-feline-kd-chicken-canned

Vet prefers the canned food as it helps keep the cat hydrated better. Frank is not the brightest, and hates the (any!) canned food, but likes the dry food a lot. So he’s doing well at present. The food isn’t cheap, but well worth it IMO. I really can’t say enough about how well the food worked for him. YMMV.

I do realize that his kidneys are probably still the weak link in his health, and that they’ll fail at some point in the future, but he’s doing well for now.

I’m in the US, so that particular brand may not be available in the UK, but I’ll bet that there is something similar available.

HTH

Cougar

he was 19 though

That’s a fine age, fair play.

beaker

The fat useless cat that owns us was going through the same up until not long ago. Huge volumes of urine, constant squits which honked and weight loss. We cut biscuits out completely and fed her only meat. She’s now back to normal, fat, lazy and happy.

footflaps

I’m in the US, so that particular brand may not be available in the UK, but I’ll bet that there is something similar available.

yep, Hills is available here, we’ve used it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cat with failing kidneys – peeing all over the house’ is closed to new replies.