Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cat Problem
  • rogermoore

So, moved into new house recently and have found that either one or more of the local cats likes to take a dump at the back of the house. The rear is shared access between terraces and there is a small walled off section where we keep our bins, the same depth as the rear porch. The cat (or cats) are doing their business here. The previous owner had installed a little PIR detector which sends a high pitch bleep out (similar to this) but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Anyone got any fool-proof solutions to this?

RM.

p.s. Get a dog / own cat isn’t an option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

own a bigger cat isn’t an option the best solution.

bearnecessities

Install a Shibboleth.

rickmeister

We have great neighbours and our cats were using their garden… they mentioned it and I made space and dug an area over in ours that our cats like using now = happy neighbours..

Flatten the area so the ground is firm so they cant dig, chat to the cat owners, turn a bit of ground over outside of your garden so they use that.

Found that lion poo and other stuff was innefective…

HTH

ski
    Free Member

If you don’t own a cat or dog, you are doomed

You back garden is effectively the gaza strip of the cat world

legend
    Free Member

It’s a little bulky but this could probably tackle the situation:

rogermoore

Thanks for the replies so far.

The cats are not digging to poo, as it is a concreted area. Could it be that I’m pointing the finger incorrectly at the local moggies?

RM.

legend
    Free Member

Yup, cats do like a good dig before/after dropping the kids off. Could be your friendly neighbourhood fox

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cats will try and bury their poo (and piss) they also like privacy so if it’s an open area possibly not.

What does it taste like (kidding)…

Dog/Fox etc can look similar

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dominant male cats will not bury their turds, they leave them on display in prominent places as a sign of their territory, submissive cats bury theirs. However as human owners are dominant over their pets, it is unusual for pet cats not to bury their turds – this usually only occurs in feral cats.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I have a handy test for determining whether something is cat poo or fox poo – our dog. He’ll completely ignore cat poo, but will feverishly seek out and roll in fox poo.

This probably doesn’t help the OP’s original enquiry though.

ski
    Free Member

I know a neighbour who set up a trip cage trap and trapped his troublemaker, next mornining after a night out in the cold and a hosing down the cat was less keen to invade 😉

tacopowell
    Free Member

Only sure fire way is get a bigger cat that won’t shot in its own back yard!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Dilute bleach in water pistol, they really hate that. If its on your private not shared property then see if you can borrow an electric fence for a week or two. Scares the crap out of them and they rarely come back.

zbonty

I have a similar problem. Quiet street with loads of cats in it. Theres lots of white pebbly stuff in the front garden and they like that. Also on the beds/under bushes. I permanently have a trowel in the front garden to remove it asap. Yucky horrible stuff.

Mash up some garlic in water and dose that along walls as they seem to hate it. Also man-wee sploshed about apparently deters them-maybe don’t wander round the street/garden having a slash though!

Failing that ^ its guns and lasers.

I hate the little tossers

rogermoore

Cheers for the advice – I did think it was pretty, erm, hefty for cat poo. But then again one of the local cats is rather lion-esque.

I think I’ll try and find out for sure what/who is the culprit before I try any of the suggestions. Especially the ones which seem dead set to get me an ASBO. 😡 😉

RM.

jd-boy
    Free Member

paintball gun, hours of fun. 😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Water is the best deterrent. I have zero guilt about a soaking for them.

Zero tolerance as well. If a cat even looks as if it is coming into your garden then it has to be soaked. Got one about 2 weeks ago. Friendly little bugger. Until I coaxed it in and then emptied a bucket of water over it and then chased it with the hose pipe. Funnily enough it hasn’t been back.

I liked the idea of catching it first but I tend to go for the coaxing them in tactic first.

And before anyone gets uppity, I would be happy for anyone to do the same to my own cat

bearnecessities

And before anyone gets uppity, I would be happy for anyone to do the same to my own cat

Agree. Cat-owned human here, but that is the only way to deal with them.

fivespot
    Free Member

why do people have cats 😐

rickmeister

The super soaker is a good option, keep it locked and loaded preferably from an upstairs window..

Soak and aw, way to go.

CountZero

The local cats like to come into my back garden and sit under the tree with the bird feeders in. Trouble is, they can see anyone in the kitchen, and hear any window or door being opened, so trying to soak the little bastards is very tricky. They’ve even taken to having a crap on the flagstones around the tree and the path next to it, and also on the gravel right next to the drivers door of my car! Little scumbags!

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you’re any good at DIY then Kenwood Blender bolted to inside of Cat Flap = problem gone.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cat Problem’ is closed to new replies.