Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Cat ownership
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How much does yours cost you per month on average?

footflaps

£10 each on food and £10 for worming / flea treatment.

molgrips
    Free Member

£10/mo on food? Seems low.

footflaps

A big bag of Whiskers is about £5 in a supermarket, lasts 2 weeks per cat. We have two cats so get through just under 1 bag a week i.e. £20/month.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Our 3 ( 2 adults and a 6 month old) cost about £30 every 2 months on complete food.

jruk
    Free Member

Dried food is ~£20 a month (special low fat stuff) + £18 insurance + worming (no idea). They’re not cheap but bloody funny.

One of our two crazy creatures enjoying the sun…

[/url]

parkesie
    Free Member

Ours pretty much feeds itself. 2kg of dry food last 2 months easily. Worming treatment ect £10 a month

mogrim

The first few months were pretty expensive: neutering, jabs and what have you. Current running costs are low: food and 3€/month anti-flea lotion.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Please train it to use a litter tray so it’s not shitting in all your neighbours gardens.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Worming? Mine gets through 6 cans of food per week at 2.80 I think. He has a special flea collar that lasts about 4mths – cost 27.

footflaps

Please train it to use a litter tray so it’s not shitting in all your neighbours gardens.

Ours crap in our flowerbeds!

footflaps

Worming? Mine gets through 6 cans of food per week at 2.80 I think. He has a special flea collar that lasts about 4mths – cost 27.

Having had a flea infestation in the house, it’s well worth £10/month for Advantage: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-advantage-flea-control-c-3_660

The local flea population is completely immune to the much cheaper and more common Frontline.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dogs next door, cats all around, large area of waste ground adjacent – crappying in gardens is unlikely.

Vern0n
    Free Member

£10 on food pm, plus worm and flea tabs every couple of months, that’s it…

tonyg2003

You need to add on pet insurance too. Have a problem and you’ll soon be very happy you did.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My wife has 3 cats, they get through 6 pouches of food a day, there are 12 pouches in a box and a box is about £4. I’m going to stop there before I add up all the other stuff they get through.

footflaps

You need to add on pet insurance too. Have a problem and you’ll soon be very happy you did.

We self insure and are still quids in even after a £500 bill for an overnight stay and investigations for an infection which just came and went without ever being diagnosed.

Nipper99
    Free Member

His majesty below gets though about £80 per months on mediction plus grub etc. I think he would dispute ownership, at least us of him anyway.

phone 033 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

jruk
    Free Member

Just remember dogs have owners cats have staff.

tonyg2003

Self insurance is fine – provided you have the cash aside. We have two stupid highly strung pedigree cats – a British Shorthair Tabby and a British Shorthair Silver Spotted. I’m sure the insurance will work out as a good option for them two. Our previous Moggy we didn’t insure and never had an issue.

maccauk
    Free Member

Cats are shit. £80.00 a month. Bargain.
    Keep the poxy things out of my garden.

welshfarmer

Jeez. Mine pays me to live here (effectively). I used to pay a pest control firm £120 a quarter to keep the rats and mice under control on the farm. A feral cat took up residence in the shed and is now my tax deductible pest controller. She will take on mice, rats, rabbits etc. Mind you she now lives in the house and gets through a few kilos of dried food a month. But I do not begrudge her a bit of it. Probably costing me less than a quarter of what the pest controller was costing, and waking up to the cat eating a baby rabbit under the bed is something money can’t buy 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Two cats cost us around £55 a month in total – putting aside money for insurance/vets and good quality dried food.

I love those little ****

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ours is a fussy little bleeder and will only eat posh food…Sheeba at a bare minimum. She’ll turn her nose up at Whiskers or Felix.

I reckon she costs us about seven quid a week in food, cat milk (she won’t drink normal milk but loves the cat specific stuff) and treats. She’s addicted to cheesy cat treats and won’t eat owt until she gets these first. Her willpower is pretty strong too…if you don’t give in she won’t eat which means her food goes manky and gets binned which annoys me more than giving in!

Her pet insurance is £8 per month and we paid a one off fee for her top up jabs for the life of the cat which is much better than £30 each year. Not sure what the worming and flea stuff costs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 cats – rough cost of living based exchange rate conversion
    Eating quality food (actually quality not just expensive) which is £15/month
    Supplementary dry food £10/month ish
    Insurance about £20 for both

So about £45 normal running costs, add in flea and tick treatment quarterly at what ever your paying and I’ve no idea how much their prozac costs.

The cat sitter is about £5/day but that gets the post collected, both fed, bins put out and the garden & plants watered when we are away.

eruptron
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Please train your dog owners to stop letting their dogs crapping all over the world and leaving it or putting it in a bag and hanging it in a tree.

At least a cat is smart enough to go out on it’s own to crap and can bury it in a hole 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

ours just knocked a £145 vase off and it smashed into little pieces, temped to now swap the bengal for a 9spd x9 rear mech!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mr Nutts your bengal is currently considering swapping you for someone who gets what it wants before it has to smash a varse

blisterman1962
    Free Member

“self insurance?” Good luck with that – one of ours suffered a broken leg which ended up costing the insurance company £6k. If we hadn’t had insurance he would now be a 3 legged cat.

footflaps

“self insurance?” Good luck with that – one of ours suffered a broken leg which ended up costing the insurance company £6k. If we hadn’t had insurance he would now be a 3 legged cat.

Well on average self insurance will be cheaper (otherwise the insurance business would be bankrupt).

bearnecessities

£6k! Did it break its leg by crashing your car?!

mightymule
    Free Member

I would DEFINITELY recommend insurance.

This little “vacation” cost about four grand in total…

Northwind

We’re borrowing one from our neighbour at the mo, she’s decided we’re way cooler than them. No food costs, no medication, ideal (OK, so we only get a visit for about an hour a day when she can be bothered, but then that seems to be what cat ownership is like too)

bearnecessities

This little “vacation” cost about four grand in total.

Serves you right for trying to create a cat that can play Wii Sports.

chickenman

£5 a week on Whiskas. Had 3 visits to a vet over the course of 9 years (cost £250 in total).
    No insurance: If he brakes a leg or gets or gets cancer/diabetes he gets put down, simples. We love him to bits, but just don’t get why people compartmentalise animals into ones you treat as your children and those that you eat….

Weasel
    Free Member

£29 per month for sensitive food pouches- luckily at cost price, another fiver or so on sensitive biscuits

Pointless insurance that covers nothing £10 per month – I’m now considering the self insurance/saving option, as most annual quotes are over £25 a month for a 10 year old Persian.

apj
    Free Member

Long-term medication much cheaper is you get a script and buy it online, or if you try to do that most vets will price-match online. Paying list price on long-term meds is a bit of a con: one cat was on home-administered saline for c. 6 months and the vet dropped the price to a third of their initial price when asked for a script. When asked why they tried to get away with such high prices they said “we wouldn’t make as much money if we didn’t” which was honest at least.

Struggling to equate “loving to bits” with “we’d put him down if he broke his leg”….

mightymule
    Free Member

don’t get why people compartmentalise animals into ones you treat as your children and those that you eat….

Simples – if it sleeps in my bed, it isn’t dinner.

footflaps

This little “vacation” cost about four grand in total…

You do realise that if the average cost of a cats medical bills was £4k, you’d all be paying more than that in premiums….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Cat ownership’ is closed to new replies.