Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cat owners question: Does your cat every leave random kidneys in the house?
  • craig_w
    Free Member

And if so why?? At least a couple of times a week, we come downstairs and find a kidney sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor. Not sure what its from, its about twice the size of a cashew nut.

I can under stand the dead animals, but random kidneys?

hs125
    Free Member

For some reason cats don’t like kidneys, so will eat the rest of a mouse, but leave them. You must have a good mouser, ours hardly ever catch anything – which I’m glad of.

z1ppy

It’s obvious or one of two things
    1) don’t like the taste
    2) An offering to the family, the cat been out and provided food for you.

Be thankful, my kitten is bringing in live mice and then playing with them (and growls menacingly when approached), at least one has got free and was later found in the mouth of another of our more sedentary cats

khani
    Free Member

Not in the kitchen but ours leave random body parts round the garden and on the patio, and a headless adder on the front step once, which the mrs found.. 😆
    Pair of murdering little shits they are..

sandwicheater

Miss are old cat.

She would sit at the front door smacking it with dead rabbits until you let her in. Come for walks with us with the dog. Sneak in with dying mice/birds/rabbits and deposit them around the house. Favourite place was under the bed.

Oh how we laughed to find a decomposing thing under your bed, oh the funny carpet stains and funky smells.

footflaps

Yep, had one the other day on the living room carpet.

craig_w
    Free Member

Sounds normal then. He does also bring in dead/alive animals. He seems a lethal little thing. He’s not yet 1 and he’s already catching baby rabbits!

The other day we came down to 2 dead mice and a dead blackbird.

Oh and yes he also does the bring live mice in and plays with them and growls if you try and take it off him.

Cats eh!

footflaps

It’s ringing the necks of maimed birds I don’t like. Our seem to leave most things alive but injured and then lose interest….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I was told by the landlady of a house I lived in that these offally remnants were the gallbladder, rejected due to the bile they contain.

binners

Ours regularly leaves me the offering of a mouse outside the back door. It’s a furry grim reaper to the local rodent population!

craig_w
    Free Member

No these are definitely kidney shaped. Thankfully we don’t have any maimed ones, its not unusual that there is only half of them though!

cranberry
    Free Member

I can under stand the dead animals, but random kidneys?

<stw top trumps>

Huffy The Bunny Slayer – One eyeball. one bloody, WTF did he do with the other one, eyeball.

</stw top trumps>

Oh and once when we had a 6 year old girl staying with us, he laid out the entire contents of a rabbit from kidneys on the doormat to ears under the kitchen table, along with his signature piece.

I miss the fluffy, cuddly little nutter.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My three struggle with butterflies, Freddie can however snatch dragonflies mid flight but that’s as impressive as it gets.

Scapegoat

I was told the random remnant was the uterus of a pregnant female. A mouse kidney would be about half the size of a lentil, surely?

bol

I’ve got to deal with the back half of a baby rabbit and associated distributed entrails on the doorstep when I get home. Joy.

Pair of murdering little shits they are.

^this.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ours leaves the gall bladder, a pale thing that’s vaguely kidney shaped, and the muzzle with teeth. Eats the lot otherwise.

craig_w
    Free Member

Lol, like it, worryingly its very true.

tomhoward

Ours leaves them, expertly butchered (credit where credit is due) on the doorstep.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate’s cat famously got a leg of roast lamb jammed in the cat flap one Sunday lunchtime. A neighbour had left it on the open window sill to rest before carving. I still giggle stupidly whenever I think about it.

mightymule
    Free Member

Evil Black Cat MkI now has a bell. The carnage was getting too much.

Retarded Black Cat MkII has managed to get rid of his bell. However, since the last thing he brought in through the cat flap was 1 month ago…. and it was a small wholemeal bread roll…. I’m not too worried.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mine used to bring in maimed mice, drop them in the empty bath and play wall of death games with them until one of the Jack Russell’s woke up and took it off her abd then we’d wake To to the sound if Jack sucking on a mouse corpse

mrmo
    Free Member

Our cat used to leave the backends of voles about the place. Thankfully she’s got older and lazier.

clubby

Glad ours isn’t the only one. Definitely look like kidneys to me.

user-removed
    Free Member

My folk’s two Siamese manage about 100 rabbits a year. It got so extreme they started keeping a five bar gate tally on a blackboard – these are just the ones they know about.. And that’s before the bank vole count. Murdering little philistines.

julianwilson
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member

Ours leaves the gall bladder, a pale thing that’s vaguely kidney shaped, and the muzzle with teeth. Eats the lot otherwise.

Same with ours.

clubby – Member

Glad ours isn’t the only one. Definitely look like kidneys to me.

Pick it up in a bit of kitchen roll and give it a little squeeze before you throw it out. Kidneys 1) are remarkably solid/unsqeezable, (there is a proper sciency reason for this but it escapes me) and 2) do not leak some icky light coloured paste if you squeeze them a bit too hard. 3) come in pairs. If you cat really leaves them because it dislikes them it will leave both.

breadcrumb

My folks old cat brought back a roast tatty once.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thankfully ours are older and lazier now, so far less trophies left for us. We did have a spate of what looked like conkers being left in the lounge. We deduced they might have been brains and spinal cords of small birds. As you do.
    Daftest thing was Daisy bringing a sodding, half dead pigeon back over a 7ft fence. Butchering it on the front step was probably a defining moment for the kids opposite.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ours has never caught anything in its 5 years. It pretends to hunt it does all the stalking crouching tail-twitching stuff but never actually catches anything

I read somewhere that hunting releases cat endorphins they really enjoy it and the killing bit is purely coincidental

dawson

Yep, we often have the kidney/stomach part left on the kitchen floor, but everything else gone.

One of ours – Elvis – caught a rabbit, it brought it into the back garden and growled if you went near him.

He proceeded to eat it throughout the day. We went out for a while and he was still munching on it when we got back – he then took to wandering round the back garden with the remaining back legs of the rabbit hanging from his mouth in an attempt to stop our chickens from pecking at his kill.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cat owners question: Does your cat every leave random kidneys in the house?’ is closed to new replies.