Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cat owners – giardiasis & toxoplasmosis
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, we’ve got the, er, bottom of what’s given our cats a serious dose of diarhhoea: giardia and toxoplasma.

Unfortunately, the antibiotics prescribed so far were the wrong ones (sigh), so only now do we have the right treatment.

But, what little I know about giardia is that it’s a tough little bugger to get rid of, and we’re in for some serious decontamination activities.

So, before I begind dismantling the house, anyone got any useful* tips on cleaning/disinfecting/decontaminating the home.

Cheers

*yes, I could burn the huse down or nuke it from orbit to be sure. Or we could offload the cats because they shit in your garden/eat birds/oh-my-god-that-could-be-a-child’s-face-next-time.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

My kittens had exactly the same and we didn’t do anything more than disinfecting litter trays/washing beds on hotwash etc. They recovered perfectly and as far as I’m aware I’ve not suffered with either of those nasties.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d suggest

Or we could offload the cats because they shit in your garden/eat birds/oh-my-god-that-could-be-a-child’s-face-next-time.

but in your situation I’d be asking the vets advice and only asking on here for the comedy value

wallop

I had giardia once. Picked it up in the water on Fraser Island. I worked for the family business at the time and my mum wouldn’t let me poo in the house because it smelt so bad.

ourmaninthenorth

but in your situation I’d be asking the vets advice and only asking on here for the comedy value

Vet (who diagnosed from test results) gave generalised advice of “steam clean everything, including the carpets and sofa and wash anything the cats have touched”.

I’m entirely happy to go to such lengths but, given I was late for a separate appointment, I didn’t hang around to explore the nuances.

So, I’ll take experiences and comedy. In whatever combination..!

ourmaninthenorth

PS thanks Ashy – that’s helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cat owners – giardiasis & toxoplasmosis’ is closed to new replies.