Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cat needs to have one of its claws removed, slightly worried.
  • organic355
    Free Member

Cat haters, need not respond.

Bit worried about by cat, he got an infected claw last week, his front “thumb”, really swollen and really smelled. Vets gave pain killers and week of anitbiotics, swelling has reduced but its still bloody, and now vet advises it needs removed under anaethetic and bandage afterwards. he is an out door cat so thats going to be fun!

slightly worried, anyone had similar done wit their cats?

cranberry
    Free Member

One of our cats had the same sort of problem – repeated infections around one of her back toes over the course of a year or so. She was about as outdoors a cat as she could be, and had no problems after having one of her claws removed – she still acted as if gravity was, at most, a minor inconvenience.

Hope it goes as well for your cat.

footflaps

Cat will be fine – losing a single claw will make no difference to its climbing etc….

Edit: and conversely, one of may cat has all its claws in perfect working order and still falls off fences – can’t climb for sh**!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Karinofnine

This is my (dog) experience:

Missy broke two nails (at different times) she was a dog but I think the principle is similar:

After washing after each walk with Hibiscrub and keeping it clean I went to the vet.

1st time. Vet sprayed anaesthetic on her foot, gave it 15 mins to work then pulled the split part off. Antibiotics, wash with H, keep clean. Job done. Nail grew back.

2nd time. Different vet wanted to operate (!). I went to a homeopathic vet, he pooh-poohed antibiotics, gave me some homeopathic pills, said keep washing/clean etc. Believe it or not the infection went and the split part grew out. Job done. No operation.

Did your vet say to you “Are you insured?” . . .

Hope your cat gets better, if you do go the operation route, I’m sure he will be fine afterwards. Try not to stress, animals pick up the vibes.

matttromans
    Free Member

My cat had one of its claws removed…hasn’t seemed to of affected him in anyway long term. The claw has now grown back and he is back to full killing/climbing strength!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

A cat of ours had it done after 1/2 ripping it out on something…no problems at all post-op.

organic355
    Free Member

Poor wee soul 🙁

cranberry
    Free Member

Bless.

Pigface
    Free Member

You can see how pissed off he is, its all in the eyes 😆

My old Staffy ripped a claw out, not a whimper, never grew back just a hole where it used to be.

organic355
    Free Member

I would be pissed off if I had a bandage that size on, he can hardly bloody walk!!

scraprider
    Free Member

oh dear he dose not look impressed hope he gets better soon. Mrs scraprider just went aaawwwwwwww bless

mattsccm
    Free Member

But whats the bandage on?!!

beaker

My moggie did a DIY claw removal using the extractor hood grill after jumping off the top of the kitchen cupboards. She had to go to the vet but she’s fine.

JoeG
    Free Member

That cat does not look happy! At all!

My sister had a cat that had some sort of problem with one of its claws. After a vet visit, my sister and her husband tried repeatedly to bandage paw of said cat after applying new ointment or whatever. After the two of them would bandage his paw up, he would have the bandage removed in under 10 seconds! 😯

They had to use A LOT of tape (taped to fur) to get it to stay on at all.

Northwind

Well he might not be able to climb as well but he looks like he’s set for a career in cat hockey.

cranberry
    Free Member

There’s something in that look that says “squelchly shoes!”

I’d ease your feet slowly and carefully into any footware for a week or two.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

The claw has now grown back and he is back to full killing/climbing strength!

Well that’s just awesome. Well done you! 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just you wait till the sparrow hawks find your snack stop too 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just you wait till the sparrow hawks find your snack stop too

I have sparrowhawks in my woods, amazing birds. I’d much rather they picked off the weak songbirds rather than a pampered moggy that some irresponsible ****wit leaves outside from dawn til dusk to kill anything in sight.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t forget the poo. They’re multi-talented.

footflaps

Could be worse, this poor thing has only got one claw after an infection rotted his paw away:

jamj1974

He does look peeved!

matttromans
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Yawn. What I was trying to convey to the OP was that it didn’t take long for the cat to recover. As the OP stated – “cat haters need not respond”. I also don’t see the need to resort to “irresponsible xxxxwit”. You need to get out into ‘your’ woods and chill out a bit.

organic355
    Free Member

Shibboleth You obviously feel the need to comment on every cat thread, you dont like them, other people do, now move on.

missnotax
    Free Member

To the OP – that’s one seriously miffed cat! You can tell he’s just wondering what damage he can cause with a bandaged paw like that…..

philconsequence
    Free Member

cats are better than birds

how many birds do you see arriving at your doorstep with a cat hanging from their beaks as a gift? whereas cats will bring you birds, squirrels, mice, you name it as gifts. its nice to receive gifts 🙂

mightymule
    Free Member

It was not nice to recieve a fully grown rat at 1:30am Sunday morning 👿

OP, Hope your mog feels better soon.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My cats recently been on a wild killing spree. She is 3 now and up until last week has never killed a thing, rarely went further than the doorstep. But this past week she’s brought back 4 sparrows and a mouse. I’m mildly impressed, she’s come into her own at last.

Shibboleth – where are your woods? 😉

OP – I’m sure your cat will be back into its stride in no time, like nothing has happened.

organic355
    Free Member

just got a call from the wife, who asked the MIL to go down and check on the cat today. We have 2, but decided to keep them both in as no way of letting one in and out and the other not.

So they were both shut in behind a closed kitchen door, Cat flap was locked with a tescos crate in front of it.

MIL got to house, kitchen door had been opened, crate moved and cat flap of its hinges. female cat outside, but Frankie (above) sat on stairs looking innocent. At least he knows he isnt well enough to go out! LOL

organic355
    Free Member

awww FFS, my other cat has buggered its claw on its back foot now and gotta have it removed.

vet said we were quite unlucky having this happen with 2 cats. What the hell are they doing that is damaging their claws like this?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What the hell are they doing that is damaging their claws like this?

Destroying cat flaps by the sound of things!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cat needs to have one of its claws removed, slightly worried.’ is closed to new replies.