Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)
  • Cat & Fiddle "The most dangerours road in the UK" – Really?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To go back to the OP – I don't know how to stop the carnage. Its clear analysis of why the crash rates are so high is important and people riding beyond their skills make up the vast majority of those killed according to the analysis I have seen.

Because infact many of the fatal accidents are not at speeds significantly higher than the speed limits speed cameras won't do much. Education must be the key – and perhaps have some mechanism for bike license to lapse after a certain time they are not used?

I would like to see mandatory retesting for all classes of driver every few years and make testing much much harder.

Did you realise you can get a unlimited bike licence even now at over 21 and have never learnt to corner at speed or brake from speed? its not a part of the training or testing to learn to brake hard from 70 mph or to countersteer in fast corners.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I would like to see mandatory retesting for all classes of driver every few years and make testing much much harder.

Now I do agree with that

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ those things are all part of good driving. But you can still go too fast.. and reduced speed makes everything safer.

Quite obviously.

This is a non-argument now, it's pointless. We are actually all agreed except that TJ thinks we aren't.

nickc

I understand the point TJ makes. Skill obviously plays a part, it's just that in the grand scheme of things, not enough of a difference overall. Make driving on public roads as utilitarian as you can, and make driving/riding on closed roads, tracks as attractive as you can. You'd soon reduce the deaths on roads.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

……………but how anyone can argue that reducing speed limits won't reduce {EDIT} the severity of {EDIT} accidents is beyond me.

Because reducing speed limits has been tried and make little difference to the type of crashes that are so overpresented on roads like the A537.

Two reasons – one is that the guys who ride stupidly fast will still do so despite the speed limits and the other is that a great many of the fatal accidents are at speeds under 50 mph.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickc – Member

I understand the point TJ makes. Skill obviously plays a part, it's just that in the grand scheme of things, not enough of a difference overall. Make driving on public roads as utilitarian as you can, and make driving/riding on closed roads, tracks as attractive as you can. You'd soon reduce the deaths on roads.

I tend to agree – a part of the reason I got rid of my bike.

Skill makes far more difference to crashing rate on motorcycles than people seem to give credit to however. Its a huge part of the issue. it is not insignificant.

track days are increasingly popular as is advanced training. This can only be good

aP
    Free Member

I don't care either way really as:
    1) I won't be going to that area
    2) My council tax doesn't pay to wipe the road clear of the blood and bones like the local people's does although unfortunately some of my taxes do.
    3) I don't care 'cos its in the north
    4) the local businesses won't be getting my money because all of the ignorant motoristas who drive too fast mean that I won't go there to start with
    Sorted.

failedengineer

According to MCN, the cameras aren't working properly yet. There is also a detour on the route that has no cameras so will screw up the average speed calcs. Possibly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

the guys who ride stupidly fast will still do so despite the speed limits

…and if they keep getting caught by cameras and fined maybe they would slow down. Isn't that the point? I got caught by an unmarked car some years ago on the M74. I was doing an average of 92mph on a clear road in good conditions. Even the copper acknowledged the good conditions, but "had to" fine me.

Regardless of my skill level and assessment of road conditions, I have not driven like that since for fear of more points and more fines. Maybe one day I would have been in a nasty accident had I continued

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Speed Kills.

No it doesn't. Inappropriate speed can but doesn't always kill. Stll that makes a sightly less Daily Mail-esque soundbite so has no place on STW

cynic-al
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Speed Kills.

No it doesn't.

If the average person (or the whole nation) goes faster then there is likely to be more accidents and fatalities, is that not accepted?

ourmaninthenorth

There is also a detour on the route that has no cameras so will screw up the average speed calcs. Possibly.

The old road leaves and rejoins the new road, but that's less safe again.

I knew someone who was killed when out cycling on Long Hill (that's the A5004 between Whaley Bridge and Buxton, for those in the South). He was hit head on by a motorcyclist. The motorcyclist also died.

Coyote
    Free Member

For someone so vehemently anti-car / pro fuel-price hikes, I find TJ's approval of ragging the arse off high powered sports bikes on public highways strangely contradictory.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Inappropriate speed can

🙄

Pretty weak little caveat there to make a point.

Speed Kills.

nickc

To be fair to TJ, that's not actually what he says. What he's trying to say is that people with the appropriate skill 'can' ride at a faster pace and more safely than those without those skills. It's actually pretty self evident, it just doesn't matter that much statistically in terms of overall road safety

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thank you nickc! I thought I had lost the ability to explain myself at all!

Coyote
    Free Member

A biker screaming along may well be comfortably within his own skill level but it doesn't stop him putting the shits up other road users and potentially causing fatal distractions.

But that's alright cause he is an experienced, safe biker.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If the average person (or the whole nation) goes faster then there is likely to be more accidents and fatalities, is that not accepted?

Not if the speed is appropriate to the conditions. Is that a difficult concept for you grasp?
    Anyway, if it's not too difficult, read my post –
    Have you ever flown in a passenger jet? I have, hundreds of miles an hour, still alive and well. Why is that? because SPEED ALONE DOES NOT KILL

ChrisA
    Free Member

I think there are a couple of red herrings here, what John McGuiness does is very different to the general motorcycling public. He rides on closed roads and short track, granted the TT / NW200 / etc are hazardous in terms of the surface but marshals are there to minimise risk, i.e. Oil spill, animal on the track – look at hutchey this year, he said he lost 2 seconds on one lap this year due to marshal flags. He;s also using the whole road with nothing coming the other way. If i took the desmosedici out this afternoon and road like john mcguiness on a public road, i wouldn;t fancy my chance of coming home.

You just can;t ride like that. All riders new or old should be made to do compulsary further training, either rospa, iam or bikesafe and wise up a bit, that would reduce the accidents through anticipation, thinking ahead and making calulated decisions. yes my bike is far too powerful for road use, like 95% of bikes on the road, but its only as fast as the rider that winds it on.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's actually pretty self evident, it just doesn't matter that much statistically in terms of overall road safety

Exactly, it's self evident, which is why it's too obvious for him to need explaining… He is likewise missing our points.

To me, the phrase 'speed kills' means that if you are going too fast you might crash and die. Which is true. I don't think anyone's stupid enough to think it means that if you go at any speed you are certainly going to die. So there's not much point arguing against it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Pretty weak little caveat there to make a point.

Speed Kills.

How does that work? You reach a certain speed and drop dead? I have never heeard of speed being recorded as the cause of death. Perhaps you can enighten me what speed is the fatal one, the one that will certainly, under any circumstances kill?

nickc

Yep Coyote, it's a good point, the public roads are no place for this kind of stuff, last time we had this discussion I think it was decided that consideration was an important part of riding/driving, and it has to be said, that a 'good' driver/rider won't by coming past you like that…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry BigButSlimmerBloke…I "bow" to your superior skills regarding pedantry and semantics.

You know what the **** it means, don't be silly, but feel free to sit there and make useless points because a two-word slogan sounds a bit Daily-Mailesque to you.

🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

BBSB – you're really coming across as a tool here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – molgrips – do you get tired of the whooshing noise as things fly over your head. You clearly have failed to grasp the points again.

However your prejudices and leaping to conclusions in your ignorance is obviously more valid than my decades of experience and avid reading of the research.

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ I have not. Please explain why you think this!

I'm agreeing with you, did you not see that part?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

deadly – you're welcome, I just prefer not live my life to other people's slogans.
    still, maybe you can tell me what the fatal speed is, out of interest?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

avid reading of the research.

I so want your life 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I know, imagine disagreeing with someone who's talking rubbish. Shocker, eh?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One final attempt

The majority of these accidents with bikers on roads such as the a537 are born again bikers who vastly overestimate their skills.

Teh classic accident is not at high speed – its running wide on medium speed bends. This is because they don't have the skills to ride the bike properly

Because it is not high speed accidents then a focus on speeds is not going to reduce th4e accident stats significantly.

skill is far more important on a motorcycle than people give credit for, speed is far less important. Because of this skilled riders are often both faster and safer.

The answer must lie in stopping people riding beyond their capabilities. Clamping down on speed will not stop these crashes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

I know, imagine disagreeing with someone who's talking rubbish. Shocker, eh?

You appear to be looking at it from a "pedant with nothing better to do" angle, which is completely inappropriate, it's clearly a simple headline that summarises a valid point. Is that simple enough for you?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

deadly – you're welcome, I just prefer not live my life to other people's slogans.

You're the man, living life according to your own rules. A proper Easy Rider type. Impressive. Maybe you can think of something snappy that fools like me can understand and have a think about then. I could have sworn for years that the "Speed Kills" slogan actually meant that speed really does kill somewhere along the scale. Silly old me eh?

still, maybe you can tell me what the fatal speed is, out of interest?

I don't know. You still can't see you're just being silly do you? If you think the constant over analysis sounds clever, it doesn't. As cynic-al said, you're just sounding a bit toolish.

molgrips
    Free Member

No arguments there TJ – as I said before.

However, speed is a factor.

The classic accident is not at high speed – its running wide on medium speed bends

Yes, and they run wide because they are going too fast for their skill level. So they could stay safe by skilling up, or slowing down.

Like I say, it's ultimately too much speed for a person to handle that causes a crash. Slowing down to a point at which they can ride the bike properly would be a very easy way to help.

Or, to put it another way – overconfidence kills.

Please don't slag me off for being stupid here.. this is meant to be a discussion so we can figure out our repsective points.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One final attempt

Famous last words…oh that they were true 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

The answer must lie in stopping people riding beyond their capabilities. Clamping down on speed will not stop these crashes.

Speed humps every 20 feet will though 🙂

ChrisA
    Free Member

not always molgrips – target fixation more than anything, you don't even need to be over the speed limit for it to have desperate consequenses on a roads like the A537

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I didnt realise how long it was since I last drove that road… must be about a year ago, so the cameras must have come in since.

The first time I drove it you could see straight away that it was a fab road, with lots of excellent low speed corners that you can see right round and far enough ahead so that you know if a car is coming the other direction way before you get to the corner. Also there are some cracking straights too where you can see for miles.

I could see that the problems come when some out brake themselves in to the bends, when damp some of the bends are more greasy than you would expect probably due to the amount of rubber laid down, and some of the straights are uneven and bumpy, and if your idiotic enough to drive/ride it quickly the first time your out then I could certainly see why it could easily go wrong.

Last year I went up a few times and drove back and forth over the route a few times getting progressively quicker and quicker, the straights you have to treat with respect, but can be driven very quickly in sections, then bends are an absolute joy with 2nd gear controlled slides and drifts possible. Its a shame that such a good road is now gone.

clubber
    Free Member

TJ is largely right here I reckon, at least in what he's specifically talking about (though he's either being very specific or ignoring what I discuss below) – skilled riders can ride faster than a less skilled rider and be safer. BUT only with the caveat that that only applies for accidents where only the motorbike is involved.

Add in accidents or potential ones where oil, ice, mechanical failure, other cars/motorbike/sheep, etc are a factor and less speed does make it safer (though again, to a much smaller degree, skill may have some benefit – eg some riders can rescue a tankslapper better than others). How much those accidents apply to the specific road(s) mentioned isn't something I know but I'll bet that even if it's not a majority, a significant proportion of motorbike accidents do involve other factors and as such, higher skill levels will not allow you to ride significantly faster than a less skilled rider without significantly increasing risk of those accidents.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just don't buy a motorbike – simple.

IMO going 5mph over a speed limit is MUCH safer than going 5mph under it but riding about a foot from someone's rear bumper – which many riders do.

A superbike can be had for £8k brand new. A bit more for something utterly mental – a simple and very basic test is all that is needed to ride one. Some get to 100 in 5 seconds – that's insanely fast. I think that for over a certain power, extra training and a very rigorous test should be mandatory. Or just ban stupidly fast bikes altogether; unfortunately that's most bikes over 600cc!

Pembo
    Free Member

Surely the classic accident is a motorist pulling out and not seeing the biker. That must happen far more often than the A537 type accidents.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Cat & Fiddle "The most dangerours road in the UK" – Really?’ is closed to new replies.