Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cat depression
  • geoffj

We had to have one of the cats put to sleep last Saturday.
    Since then cat 2 has appeared to be more listless and looks to be moping. They didn’t appear to get on all that well, although they rarely did more than play fighting.
    So do we get a kitten to give cat 2 some company?
    Is cat depression something real?
    Ta

footflaps

We were in a similar situation. One of our cats died so we got a younger cat to keep the other one company, they seemed to get on fine, but then the original one starting loosing the zest for life. We thought this was just being annoyed at having a younger cat bouncing around the place. Turned out he was really ill with liver failure, which we missed until it was quite late. Had to be put down last week 🙁

Although back on topic, cats can get depression and they have SSRIs for cats..

I’d take him/her to a vet to be checked out.

geoffj

Sorry to hear that FF
    I’ll maybe get her checked out too.

scaled
    Free Member

I’d have a bash with one of those feliway diffuser things first.

We got one this month as we’ve just moved house and the cat was freaking out (as in tried to climb out the first floor bathroom window on moving day)

Can’t get the little stoner to go outside now, he’s not bitten anyone in over 3 weeks (unheard of) and has turned into a massive tart! I kinda miss my killer moggie but he just seems really happy with his lot at the moment.

footflaps

I’d have a bash with one of those feliway diffuser things first.

Vet first, it only costs £30 for a check-up and you might catch something serious you hadn’t spotted….

Our working hypothesis is that the death of the brother / arrival of new cat caused our remaining cat a bit of depression / stress which knocked his immune system a bit, hence he got really ill with FIP (a virus they can carry for years without anything happening).

granny_ring

Sorry for your loss FF and yes OP check up at vets before anything else.

sweepy
    Free Member

When we moved we spent a small fortune on feliway at the Mrs insistence.
    It was our least successful cat move ever.

They didn’t appear to get on all that well, although they rarely did more than play fighting.

Play fighting is true love to cats in my book

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cat depression’ is closed to new replies.