• This topic has 47 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Cat D write off – talk to me
  • robob
    Free Member

send the pics over on rlh_harrison@hotmail.com if you'd like a 2nd opinion.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Part of peoples problems is believing "surveys" and what people read/hear from friends. While I've no doubt the cheaper french cars are going to come lower down on the charts for people claiming off their warranty (and I've heard some rediculous warranty claims put in, usually by people who've bought car they can't afford to look after) as they're cheaper cars, but there's no reason to assume they've BAD cars. For every negative experience you post there I can post positives and people with cars that have gone above and beyond. They're cheap and easy to repair and if you know the slightest thing about cars you can and do spot the faults before they become terminal and repair costs are minimal.

I've no experience with the newer models (~2003 onwards) which I believe do indeed have many dash and electrical problems, and I do know one pug owner who recently had their sunroof leak, but aside from that I struggle to see how everyone gets these problems and have never met anyone personally who has.

I've a couple of mates in the mech workshops at dealers, one for pug and one for renault, the renault seems to have more built-in problems.

My MOT (independant) tester says its always a pleasure to MOT pugs because they always fly through, rarely have any rust and are nice and simple to work on when you need to. I'd agree. Though I do have slightly sticky rear calipers after 120K miles.

hora
    Free Member

My MOT (independant) tester says its always a pleasure to MOT pugs because they always fly through,

Gulp I hope so. I have a 306 sat on the drive for almost two years that needs to get started again soon!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thing is you'll never convince people, who've been stung, otherwise. And likewise I'll probably not change my opinion unless I get a succession of poor french cars. I'll keep trying.

What you need to remember is that sure, they may be cheaper and less well put together, but they cost a lot less, cost less to repair (especially if you do it yourself and are only buying parts) and tend to be lighter and more economical.

At the same time as I bought my recent 306 estate my brother bought a BMW 330D for 4x the price and 5 years newer, with full BMW service history. In that time I've had a crank pulley (caught early, really only replaced "just in case") and a wheel bearing (caused by a pothole impact).

He's had a new window motor, a new injector, new MAF, 3 trips to the dealer for MILs, a full new set of suspension bushes for the rear, a full new set of shocks all round and has had to glue and pin his intake manifold back together himself. It's a nice car, but I'd have expected better TBH. Amazing car, lovely and comfortable, grips like glue, goes like stink but by god has it cost him.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

French cars (not being picky, this is all the ones my friends have owned, none have worked!)

New clio – random alarm/CL/imaboliser faults, occasionaly stops whilst driving!

saxo – the dash resembled a disco at times, but it was in cornwall therefore a Cat D writoff by default anyway.

pug 206 – you could on occasions drive back form the garrage before another warning light came on, but more often than not it didn't seem to make it off the ramps! Suspension/tracking needed re-doing every 2-3 months.

scenics – more blown turbo's than seats

another 206 – £500 bill at the last service for stuff that had fall apaprt that realy shouldn't have done.

And thats just close friends, god knows what theyr like on a national scale!

brassneck

For the original poster, if you aren't qualified or happy in your own mind to buy, walk away. Whats a few quid more for peace of mind and possibly even you or your friends/families safety?

In defense of french cars I had a 2cv that got to 27 years old still running before it finally buckled under the weight of its own rust. Though there was very little that could go wrong I suppose 🙂

colwyn58
    Free Member

Thanks – apprecaite the advice one and all.

hora
    Free Member

brassneck, I drove past a chap in a 2cv on the motorway the otherday, beeped and gave him the thumbs up!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cat D write off – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.