• This topic has 47 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Cat D write off – talk to me
  • colwyn58
    Free Member

Run a mile or investigate further…?

Long story short – car looks like new and got a garage that will take a good look at it before I need to part with any cash.

Been MOT'd since repaired so insurance company are happy to cover it. Can get it around half price compared to if it wasn't cat D… Seller reckons it was just a rear bumper and a few scratches that he repaired but got no proof this was actaully the case, for all I know it was totally smashed up.

Advice/experiences of people much apprecaited please!

Del

MOT is no guarantee of road-worthiness, just that it can pass an MOT, on the day of the test. other than that though, if you have someone who is going to look over it properly, you trust them, teh price is right, and you're keeping the car for a long time – why not? if you were only planning on keeping it a few years, then selling it on, then remember how you are looking at it now. the price differential will be smaller then, and there'll be plenty of 'straight' ones around ( assuming it's not something exotic ) to choose from for a potential buyer.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

What kind of car is it?
    Which garage repaired it? Would you trust their work?
    I've had a few write offs throughout the years. My uncle owns a bodyshop and I know the repair will be right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

There was a question about a Cat D write off in today's Autocar. Apparently it's the lowest category of write off, as in the least badly damaged, so perhaps get your garage to have a look at it?

dooosuk
    Free Member

If "it was totally smashed up." it would have been a Cat C, B or A.

I wouldn't have a problem with buying Cat D if it was half price. If you're that bothered pay for a HPI report and that might have more information regarding the write off on it.

colwyn58
    Free Member

Unfortunately the HPI just says it Cat D – no details as to why.

coffeeking
    Free Member

cat D is just financially not viable to repair for a company. Its often financially viable for private individuals. My first car (peugeot) would have been a cat D and, later, a cat C due to small-ish bumps.

You want to check for body damage away from the impact site (kinks/misalignments etc) and get underneath and check for chassis damage/ripples. If none are apparent I'd risk it.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Cat Deeley I suppose she's getting a bit old and there are a lot of attractive young presenters coming along. But I think she's run for a couple more years …. oh your on about your car sorry.

organic355
    Free Member

Phew, I thought something had happened to Cat Deeley!! Thats a relief.

coffeeking
    Free Member

colwyn58
    Free Member

It's a Berlingo multispace, only want to put muddy bikes in it!

The garage I know (who are well trusted) are willing to stick it up on the ramp etc… and take a good look and the seller is willing to drive it there for me so he appears to have nothing to hide…

Apparently I can take it to a place and for £200 they will inspect it and if passes will remove the Cat D status and becomes something else? I asked the seller why he didn't so this and he said he never bothered as his insurance company insured it anyway. The guy at the place that does this test is currently looking into whether the car was ever taken to him and it failed etc…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pesonally I'd buy a cat D, just get it checked out (AA/RAC Inspection?)

But I wouldn't go anywhere near ANY French car.

robob
    Free Member

A fast and loose definition of cats would be;
    cat A – crush (used mostly for fatals)
    cat B – strip for parts and crush (where the shell is badly twisted)
    cat C – beyond economical repair (repair cost is equal or more than car value)
    cat D – constructive total loss (the cost of repair + the value of the salvage is equal or more than the car value)

So generally if the repair has been carried out satisfactorily then you should be safe to buy a cat D repaired car.

It’s surprising what cars can be judged cat D. Some bigger engined stuff is ripe for cat D as the there value has dropped considerably recently.

So for instance a high mile 2002 Merc ML is down to 7k @ retail. You drive down the side of something solid and damage the bumper, lamp, wing and two doors. The repair bill would be c 5k. The insurance company only need to realise 2k for the salvage to “bridge” the gap.

The salvage company then fit second hand parts and repaint it all for 2k. So that’s a 7k car for 4k and that repair would only be bolt on cosmetic stuff making a lot of sense as used buy, but only if repaired correctly and with a view to running it for a while.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But I wouldn't go anywhere near ANY French car.

Personal opinion, I know, but that is totally irrational.

colwyn58
    Free Member

Any way of finding out the reasoning for the insurance company to write off? I'm guessing there's a big difference btween a stolen/recovered and one wrapped round a lamp post?!

robob
    Free Member

a berlingo wrapped round a lamp post would most likely be a cat C… there only worth 87p and a banana skin at the best of times.

😛

coffeeking
    Free Member

Any way of finding out the reasoning for the insurance company to write off? I'm guessing there's a big difference btween a stolen/recovered and one wrapped round a lamp post?!

Not that I know of. But a cat D really is minimal damage on a cheap car. Bear in mind the main dealer wanted half the 2K value of my car to replace two front shocks, 2 wheel bearings, two tyres and do an alignment.

Rich
    Free Member

Exactly, on older cars just broken locks/steering lock can write off a car.

colwyn58
    Free Member

It's an 05 if that makes any difference? Worth around £4k tops without cat D I guess (if you could find someone who'd part with that much cash for a van…!).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personal opinion, I know, but that is totally irrational.

No, based on experience, and the experience of a fair few others (Including a mechanic who used to work for a French car dealers), it's actually the most rational thing I know about cars. Basically, they are utter tat.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, based on experience, and the experience of a fair few others (Including a mechanic who used to work for a French car dealers), it's actually the most rational thing I know about cars. Basically, they are utter tat.

Based on well over a decade of owning and repairing mine and other peoples cars (french, german and jap) I'm happy to conclude the exact opposite. They do have some oddities (strange designs) but they're not more liable to failing than any other. I have found quite a few people with this sort of hatred of them, but it tends to stem from unrealistic weighting of experiences IMO… "oh the speaker wire broke – christ, appalling french electrics, theyre all crap bla bla bla even joe bloggs down the road thinks so". Also bear in mind that frnech cars tend to be at the cheaper end of the scale, and so are going to be built to match lower prices so they're not going to be a germanic tank.

Still, the more people think like you the cheaper reliable cheap cars are for me, so keep it up 😉

tonyg2003

Hi all

Keep spreading the word about french cars being crap!!

Obviously not my feeling at all after owning 5 french cars over the last 20years (all been reliable unlike some of the German company cars I've had), but it makes buying them second hand great.

waihiboy
    Free Member

ive been seriously tempted by a few Cat D on autotrader, there was a 3 year old golf GTI on there a while back, full leather, xenons, sat nav the full monty 8k but was a Cat D. but being the car it is i guess its the worst kind to go for.

i guess end of the day you will always have that niggle in the back of your mind wondering "what actually happened"?

oh with regards 'french are cars are crap bollox', i have to agree with coffeking and tonyg203, ive had a saxo P reg and a pug 306 T reg, the only major thing with the pug was the brake lines needed renewing it is still going a bloke in work still has it and even took it to germany and back and it was fine. the saxo is also still going around 110k on the clock 1.1 engine, only major thing with that was a new battery and belts!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, lets list what I know about French cars.

A collegue had a ZX. Head gasket went at under 100k. Other electrical faults. He replaced it with a Picasso, the whole dashboard packed up, amongst other things
    My wife used to have an AX. Left her stranded twice and the bonnet catch failed on the motorway and the bonnet flipped up in front of the windscreen. Nice.
    Another collegue currently has a newish Picasso. He gats random warning lights coming and going. Last week the fuel pump went on the M25
    My dad had a little Citroen (C2?) a few years ago. Brnad new. He got rid of it because of the constantly creaking interior and electrical niggles.
    A mate of mine worked as workshop manager in a French car (Don't remember which) dealers. He used to take delight in telling us of nerly new cars then came back needing new engines, gearboxes etc and the average warrnanty cost of the cars they sold was something like 2-3 times what it should have been
    One of the reps here has a Renault. It keeps pissing diesel all over the place, from various injector pipes and the like.

I'm not just talking about small stuff here: Major failure of major mechanical components.

Utter, utter crap.

If you want a cheap car, get a Vauxhall. Clarkson has ruined the resale values of Vecras, which is quite handy.

The reason why French cars are cheap is because they are garbage, in general. Yeah you might be lucky. Or you might not.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have a look here

Citroen and Renault, 38 claims per 100 cars

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Citroen has made little progress since last year, in fact, there is now one more claim for every hundred cars than there was in 2004.

……..

Nearly half of all the claims handled by Warranty Direct on behalf of Citroen owners were related to axle and suspension troubles. The cars’ electrics were the next most problematic, accounting for almost 18% of claims.

While Citroen sits towards the bottom of the overall league table, the Xsara (built between 1997 and 2005) comes a respectable 18th amongst the individual models.

Verdict: ** Reliability hasn’t improved greatly, but costs have come down

hora
    Free Member

Personally I would need to see photographs and evidence/details of the repair itself. Dont forget a repairer might do just enough to get the car roadworthy again. Plus does the car have a full service history upto that point? You dont throw your other sensibilities out of the window just because a car is 'cheap'.

Some cars are Cat D for lesser damage than others due to the cost of repair so that can skewer things. TBH – I would need to see evidence of the damage/notes and detail of what went into the repair.

I'd definitely buy a Cat C/D but wouldnt a water damaged write off or certain severity etc. Just because a part in the car wasnt damaged directly doesnt mean it'll fail later due to multiple reasons.
    Your not facing the bargain you think you are IMO.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh hell, this is like shooting fish in a barrel.

2008 JD Power survey….

All the French cars nicely grouped down near the bottom…..

hora
    Free Member

Ps. Just reread your first post. He doesnt have evidence of the repair? WALK AWAY. Even if he repaired it himself he would have bought the parts. Say this to him and I bet he pulls out a few receipts/tries talking you round spinning something. If he hasnt now- says to me alarm bells. Walk.

I'd rather buy a CAt D'd car and have it repaired- then I'd trust it. Or buy one from a good friend. Otherwise lots of photos/details and engineer reports/insurance report etc from the time itself.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have owned french cars for years and whilst they have ther niggling problems they are cheap to fix and run where as the others are really expensive when it comes to repairs.
    The problems that you list people having i know people who have had those problems on 40k bmw and mercs so that proves nothing.
    plus you will find that a higher percentage of people reply to those things to justify buying there overpriced cars in the first place.

colwyn58
    Free Member

All I currently know is that he bought it from auction with no MOT or tax and "all" that was wrong with it was a dent in the rear bumper/door and a few scratches.

A friend of a friend owns an independent garage who speciaise in Citroens and is more than happy to put it up on the ramps and take it for a test drive etc… for me. He seems to think if it's a total no go zone he can tell straight away…?

hora
    Free Member

A friend of a friend owns an independent garage who speciaise in Citroens and is more than happy to put it up on the ramps and take it for a test drive etc… for me. He seems to think if it's a total no go zone he can tell straight away…?

What if it was flood damage? There will be a fair few flood damaged cars knocking about on the market from the floods not so long ago.

When my MX5 was repaired (rear ended). Theres no way you could have guessed it had been rear-ended- the rear had been cut out and rewelded however the bumper and panels covered all this. The best your mate can do is check the beams/frame but you'd have to take the bumper off and strip down to see better. Plus. If the beams/frame is out of line or cracked- how can he check unless checks the alignment and again strips down?

I say walk away and find another.

In addition, its 50% cheaper. Are you keeping this car to run into the ground? When you come to sell you also have to find a buyer. Imagine if it turns into a snotter/nightmare and your stuck trying to find a new buyer? A prospective buyer would need to buy into a Cat D AND would reasonably ask you for proof of repair/details.

hora
    Free Member

"A dent in the rear bumper door" wouldnt make the repair uneconomical.

If the car was say worth/book at £800 and the repair say £400 then yes. However I think a dented bumper/door in your case means a heavy rear end (i.e. the door in question is the rear hatch).

Ask your mate if theres anyway he can check the alignment of the subframe/etc. I reckon its a heavy rear-ender.

A Category C or D write-off is one that insurers consider unecomonical to repair but one that could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.

That says to me a dented rear bumper and door wouldnt take that much time to repair?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My car was a CAT C after someone drove into the side of it. I'd slowed from 30 to 20mph when someome pulled out of a side road.

The car was driveable afterwards and the airbags didn't go off. it was only cat C'ed because it was worth a fair bit as spare parts. They offered to sell it back to me and i should have done it because i reckon i could have fixed it with some spare bits off ebay. The crash inspectors said there was no chassis damage (most important thing), most of the repair cost was for a respray.

i can't see why you'd buy it back to sell on though. might as well take the insurance.

colwyn58
    Free Member

I've now been sent some pics of it when he bought it at auction – to me as a total amateur it looks pretty superficial, happy to send pics across to anyone who can form an educated opinion (as opposed to just being nosy!!).

hora
    Free Member

markhoracekuk @ yahoo.com please 🙂

colwyn58
    Free Member

Sent!

hora
    Free Member

Received. No service history present, no engineers/insurance company report. I'd find another. IF you had found this car at the auction yourself then its different- you'd know the progress of the repairs and feedback on recommendations etc from the repairing garage. The seller however has an ulterior motive to sell so he wont be honest and say 'all repaired as required'. He'll just make the outside shiny and pretty.

Plus- that wee stain on the drivers seat. Err. NO!! 😀

owenfackrell
    Free Member

We had a car writen off as cat c due to the salvage price. We bought it back and put it back on the road for not that much as i didn't use new parts and bought second hand. The damage to the car was the rear axel and rear bimber with some superfical damage to the rear wing.
    I would buy a cat c or d write off as how do you know that the car you are buy hasn't been in a bump and been repaired with out using the insurance company? at least with a cat c/d you know what has happened.

hora
    Free Member

My MX5 was repaired for 3k through an insurance company. It wont show on any register.

You dont know whats happened to a cat C or D if there is no report/notes/paper trail available to back up the bill/details. You just have the word of the seller who has an ulterior motive.

I'd personally need a paper trail to show what had been done and notes stating what would need replacing and evidence showing the new part/replacement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cat D write off – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.