Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Cat attacked by neighbours' dog
  • MrGrim
    Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

To be fair to the neighbours, they do seem concerned and have taken some measures to beef up their fence.

The only witness to the events were the neighbours – they were chasing the dog around trying to get it back in when it got our cat. I believe the sight of our cat in the dog’s mouth put the wind up them somewhat.

A_A’s comment about crap lurchers made me smile – we actually can’t believe the cat survived at all. I’d always assumed it would be curtains in this scenario.

The trouble is, we’ve seen it coming since they moved in. We seem to know more about lurchers than they do (family keep and breed them), and we’re finding their ignorance particularly frustrating.

Now this has happened, we feel a bit more justified giving them more direction than we have up to now.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Any cat coming into the garden when the dog is out is fair game.

Yep, any cat daft enough to visit a lurcher at home pretty much deserves what he gets.

MrGrim

A_A’s comment about crap lurchers made me smile – we actually can’t believe the cat survived at all. I’d always assumed it would be curtains in this scenario.

For my Lurcher it’s all about the chase. She’s never hurt or killed a cat. She has chased after a few though and rarely catches them. There have also been times where she has chased after a cat and the cat has stood it’s ground. The dog then gets very confused and runs away. Cats can be quite vicious and anytime my Lurcher has caught up with one she has come off worse.

project
    Free Member

A few years ago my chased a squirrel, the squirrel suddenly stopped dead, turned round and bit my cat, who should i claim off, also the magpies we have living nearby also attack the cat.

The cat has learnt its best not to chase squirrels and run form balck and white birds.

Its just education, your cat has learnt the hard way.

alex222
    Free Member

apparently cats hate citrus. so the best way to keep cats out of your garden in neither buy your own cat or a dog but buy a pet lemon. just remember a lemon is for about two days not for life.

greyman
    Free Member

Smudge is OK ? – probably learned his/her lesson.
    Eight left then ….

Mantastic
    Free Member

My wifes cat got eaten by her fathers dogs.

RIP

phil.w
    Free Member

Just to address the balance here, it’s not just dogs that do the attacking.

One of my sisters colleagues had a call out by a couple who had gone out for dinner leaving their cat and few week old puppy at home for the first time. They returned to find a rather full cat and a puppies head.

(The cat was fine, just a bit bloated for a day or two)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Not all dogs hate cats….

This is our two. Rogue the fearless lion hunter and Messi the rough, tough little ally cat. Messi is the boss man in this relationship, the dog is s**t feared of him.

donald
    Free Member

If a dog comes onto a farmer’s land and attacks his animals the farmer may kill it.

If a dog comes into my garden and attacks my cat, may I kill the dog?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

donald – I don’t think so – you may use reasonable force to defend your property – the cat and if the dog gets harmed during the course of that its the dogs hard luck

donald
    Free Member

If the cat is getting shaken to bits and I’m standing there holding a pitchfork at the time, would I be in trouble with the law if the dog died?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no I don’t think so so long as yo were not needlessly cruel and what you did was the minimum required.

binners

Thats a very specific example donald. Its almost like you’re asking retrospectively. Did you get away with it?

binners

I want a baby leopard! One of these would definitely have a Lurcher!

Pigface
    Free Member

A friend of mine used to have a cat called Junior because he was so small. The most loony cat I have ever come across would regularly kill squirrels which is some going. One night my mate woke up in her house with this smashing noise and what she described as screams. It was Junior killing a squirrel in the kitchen. Sadly Junior got hit by a car amazingly the car survived and that was the end of Junior.

anagallis_arvensis

Glad the cat is OK, I like cats. My lurcher has never caught a cat, most find their way up something it time, she has caught a fox, that didnt end well for the fox.

donald
    Free Member

Just a thought experiment Binners!

But we have been surprised by somebody’s dog appearing in our living room when we were watching TV one evening. Luckily for all concerned the cat was not present.

surfer
    Free Member

usually the dog comes off worse

Bit of an urban myth I suspect. yes cats often turn when cornered and lb for lb they are well designed but not when faced with a determined dog, even a small one.

tonyd

One of my sisters colleagues had a call out by a couple who had gone out for dinner leaving their cat and few week old puppy at home for the first time. They returned to find a rather full cat and a puppies head.

Holy sh!t, I’m shocked. Is that true?!

anagallis_arvensis

usually the dog comes off worse

Bit of an urban myth I suspect. yes cats often turn when cornered and lb for lb they are well designed but not when faced with a determined dog, even a small one.

This is because most dogs dont strike, they bring to bay. Running dogs will usually strike and shake. Most cats will be lucky to survive the intial strike from a lurcher.

Cougar

What’s “bring to bay” mean?

DezB
    Free Member

This is our two. Rogue the fearless lion hunter and Messi the rough, tough little ally cat

that image is SICK and UNNATURAL

( 😉 in case taken seriously)

anagallis_arvensis

bring to bay means corner them really, top em running.

phil.w
    Free Member

tonyd – Yes, it’s true.

Karinofnine

Yes, bring to bay means corner (so that the hunter can come and kill the prey – or not as appropriate).

pingu66
    Free Member

mikewsmith

WTF are you quoting where I state “I am a dog owner” for. Its as I am trying to point out a balance in my view. That is not anti dog etc. And it is my view that I would call the police. So no Mail etc, if you dont have anything constructive shut the f*ck up.

DezB

I don’t actually see why I needed to state “it could have been a child’s face” rather than it could have been a “child”. So a child being attacked a dog and skin ripped of its arm etc would be less traumatic than it face perhaps or does it only matter if its a child’s face?

Equally it is an “Uncontrolled dogs. It is an offence for a dog to be outside the owner’s premises and not under control”

There ois your offence therefore what the problem with what I do and do not know about dogs.

legend

Yes it could have been a child.

If you want to rip someones post apart first have something constructive, second make sure that you are actually correct.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    This is our two. Rogue the fearless lion hunter and Messi the rough, tough little ally cat

that image is SICK and UNNATURAL
    ( in case taken seriously)

Not taken seriously at all. This is STW after all 😉

pingu66
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w

Lovely Ridgeback, my two are soft as well.

Cougar

I don’t actually see why I needed to state “it could have been a child’s face” rather than it could have been a “child”.

You must be new here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pingu66 – Member
    ?

Equally it is an “Uncontrolled dogs. It is an offence for a dog to be outside the owner’s premises and not under control”

There ois your offence therefore what the problem with what I do and do not know about dogs.

Civil not criminal – its only criminal if its dangerously out of control – and the danger needs to be to a human. Not something for the police IMO

philconsequence
    Free Member

anybody good at the forum searching who could find out who started the ‘it could be a childs face next time’?

donsimon
    Free Member

If a dog comes into my garden and attacks my cat, may I kill the dog?

I think you should invite a few friends round and open a book. Who knows where it could lead, a nice little earner at least.

anagallis_arvensis

Pingu you do realise your just making yourself look even more stupid dont you. Put the digging implement down and step away from the hole.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your cat has been injured, would not be happy if it were ours, but settling the vet bill is about as much as I could expect anyone to do. Lurchers are quite “serious” dogs and will chase small fast furry things only in their nature, like our dog try’s to herd everyone up.

anagallis_arvensis

Lurchers are quite “serious” dogs

Cant mean me?

pingu66
    Free Member

aa nope not stupid at all mate. Just a forum and I have an opinion. SOme of those who quoted me didnt even have that.

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 covers dogs under proper control so if the Dangerous Dogs Act is civil, which I belive it isn’t then my mistake.

anagallis_arvensis

come on step away from the spade, its for your own good

binners

I think its past spade point. Someone take the keys off him…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Cat attacked by neighbours' dog’ is closed to new replies.