• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cat 7 cable?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We are getting 200Mbps BT Infinity installed next week.

Modem will be in the hall, router will be in cupboard under stairs so I was planning on running cat 6 cable between the two, as cat 5 wouldn’t be quick enough.

We’ve got a spark in at the moment so I asked him to run a cat 6 from the hall to the cupboard while he had the floor up, and leave it for me to terminate (he said he’d rather not terminate it anyway).

I’ve bought cat 6 face plates and patch cables, but he’s just phoned to say he can only get cat 7 cable.

He said he’d leave a draw wire there too incase I want to run a cat 6 instead, but will I just be able to terminate the cat 7 into the cat 6 IDC terms?

Is the colour code etc. still the same?

ton

colour code is same. very hard to work with, riggers don’t use it, no benefit over cat 6.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

cat 5 isn’t fast enough over a sum 10 meter run? how did you come to that conclusion? are you running 10Gb switches at home?

The cable standard provides performance of up to 100 MHz and is suitable for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet), and 1000BASE-T (Gigabit Ethernet)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thought cat 5 was only suitable up to 100Mbps? Link from modem to router needs to be at least 200Mbps shirley?

scotroutes

5e

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just called him and told him not to bother running the 7 but to just leave something for me to draw a 5e or 6 through with.

No doubt it’ll snap or snag while I’m pulling it and I’ll end up with floors up anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    mrjmt
    Free Member

How fast is the disc access on the end of the line?

Well, it’ll be used for wifes work VPN, downloading and HD netflix possibly at the same time so even if the PCs are using SATA the total throughput will be more than 100Mbps.

And we’ve only gone for 200Mbps as we have to have FTTP as there’s no FTTC in our street.

And its ordered now so there’s no changing that bit.

ton

I sell cat 5 and 6. cat 7 gathers dust.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running with 50mbit fttp here hard to tell the difference between that and 25. It’s the other end that has the problems these days and I can load mine up to those levels too on cat 5e.

somouk
    Free Member

I have CAT 5e internally and run it at 1 Gbps, much easier to work with than the others.

njee20
    Free Member

Never before has a thread meant so little to me. 😕

As you were.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Never before has a thread meant so little to me.

Part of the issue here is that I dont know a lot about it either, I didnt know cat 7 existed till he phoned up!

IA

FWIW get a better router than the HH if you’re using wifi at all.

Just upgraded to an Asus DSL-A68U and it’s _so_ much faster wifi (even on non-ac devices) on both 2.4 and 5gig. They do a version without the VDSL modem too as you won’t need it.

I’m on a 70Mbps line and notice the difference, so on 200 you will too.

Also cat 5e fine here for me too…

mrjmt
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll have a look into that as a few things will be on wifi.

More expense!

Russell96

Cat5e now good for up to 5Gbps Cat6a up to 10Gbps (NBASE-T)

Cougar

Aside from anything else,

CAT6 and upwards have considerably more stringent installation requirements than their predecessors. With all due respect, if you’re posting on a cycling forum asking what colours the wires should be, what you’re going to end up with is highly unlikely to be a CAT6 installation despite what it might have printed on the cable.

There is little to no point in using anything other than CAT5e in a DIY home installation. Anyone who tells you any different is probably trying to sell you cable. Oh, and CAT7 isn’t a real standard, by the time it’s ratified it’ll probably go straight to CAT8.

mrjmt
    Free Member

No offence taken, I know my limitations hence asking!

Maybe I should have worded the question different…

If I put my router in a different location to my modem when using BT Infinity 200Mbps, what type of cable do I need between the two?

😀

TPTcruiser

What is the cost of FTTP from BT? Work have issues with really slow connection and the local cabinet for the industrial estate isn’t lit up. A fat pipe in would be nice.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Line rental £16.99 (which we won’t use and don’t actually need with FTTP but I don’t think they’ll let you just have the FTTP).
    Broadband and calls £39.65
    No installation charge.

So, a lot. However we had sky TV in the old house, for tv, phone and bb from sky it was somewhere just over £50 so not much difference in our outgoings, just however much extra it is for netflix and it makes my wifes life a lot easier when she syncs her 500mb PST files with work on a 20 mbps upload rather than the 1 mbps she had to use!

Edit: oh and £100 topcashback.

Cougar

If I put my router in a different location to my modem when using BT Infinity 200Mbps, what type of cable do I need between the two?

There is little to no point in using anything other than CAT5e in a DIY home installation.

🙂

mrjmt
    Free Member

8)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cat 7 cable?’ is closed to new replies.