Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "Casual" Cycling Shoes
  • tootallpaul

Morning,

Looking for a new pair of commuting shoes, and would like something a little more casual so I don’t always have to have a second pair of shoes at work.

Like the look of the Chrome Kursk or even the Giro Alpenduro things.

Any other options?

Cheers,

Paul

darrell
    Free Member

Giro Terraduro (spelling?)

been wearing em for just this sort of job for 12 months

wiggles
    Free Member

Specialized cadet?

DezB
    Free Member

I got some Teva Pivots. Dead comfy. They have a lace flap thing, so look a little bit special. If I was wearing the type of shoe more I’d definitely try Specialized 2FOs , but they’re £100 so couldn’t justify it to myself.

zilog6128

The problem with the Giros and the Cadet/2FO is that although they don’t look like cycling shoes they still look like nerd shoes i.e. not stylish!

I quite like the look of the Chrome shoes (especially the Truk) but they’re all ruined IMO by the big red logo which make them look like kids’ shoes.

DZR are worth checking out but again the branding on some of them is a bit much.

I’d like to get some nice, normal looking SPDs but ultimately it’s not a big enough problem for me to justify the price as they tend to be pretty pricey.

There’s always the DIY option – loads of people on the web have customised their own normal shoes to take cleats!

bigblackshed

The Chrome Kursk are good cycling shoes, sizing issues aside, but they have very stiff soles. Deceivingly so. A bit too stiff for all day wear. They are not Converse All Stars in black rubber.

tootallpaul

Anyone invested in a pair of Quoc Pharms?

zilog6128

but they have very stiff soles. Deceivingly so. A bit too stiff for all day wear. They are not Converse All Stars in black rubber.

I guess that makes them better to ride in though – if the soles were too flexy they’d be terrible for riding & you’d get hotspots on longer rides I’d imagine. What were the sizing issues? Bigger/smaller than they should be?

Anyone invested in a pair of Quoc Pharms?

Now they look snazzy! I’d definitely get a pair if they turned up cheap on Sport Pursuit one day!

bigblackshed

The US sizes are about 1/2 to 1 size larger than other US sizes. I am sure how that works out converting to British or EU sizes. I tried mine on in a shop and bought the ones that fitted properly. They have quite slippy heal box, so unless the fit is right you get heal slip when cycling.

I ended up swapping the low Kursks for the Midway. Ankle height and true to converted size with no heal slip. I wouldn’t want to wear them all day, but for a few hours they’re fine.

The cleats do protrude slightly so when walking you get the tap-tap of the cleat.

midlifecrashes

Rockport Waterproof brogues for warmer weather, Chelsea boots for colder. You don’t need different shoes for cycling.

tootallpaul

Midlifecrashes, I do if I want to use SPD’s not flats.

Too many years clipped in to change now.

tootallpaul

Went with the Alpinenduro.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was about to suggest 661 Filters, but I see you’ve gone for the Alpinenduro.

Personally, if the commute is short enough not to justify changing shoes, I’d just wear normal shoes and skate around on the spd pedals, or at least get pedals with a cage of sorts around them.

mcj78
    Free Member

I like the current crop of Giro shoes – the Alpineduro look good as you can obviously use them off road too but they’re not too “mx boot” looking…

I’m hankering after a pair of these (despite having a pair of dromarti ones I hardly wear as they’re too “nice” for commuting…)

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Ooooo………they look nice. *added to wish list*

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"Casual" Cycling Shoes’ is closed to new replies.