Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Casting translation.
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

If you were casting something what would this mean?

I finished the mold today & shot a couple of waxes to detail

meeeee
    Free Member

what are they casting?

Probably using the lost wax technique.

i’m guessing they’ve carved the item in clay or similar, made a mold around this, and then cast up some wax versions of the item which will then be used to make a casting of the final item in metal. They’re probably going to check and if necessary add detail to the wax castings before they are then used to make a metal casting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost-wax_casting

soma_rich
    Free Member

Definatly using lost wax technique.
    So when she says

shot a couple of waxes to detail

She has made positive castings in wax from a clay original?

meeeee
    Free Member

yeah thats what i would think, then she can check and add detail to these before its sprued and the final casting mold made.

project
    Free Member

Its MOULD, Mold is a place in wales,

meeeee
    Free Member

i wondered if it was mould too, but i copied off Soma-rich, its his fault!

intode_void
    Free Member

Unless of course the OP is talking to an American; they do like to modify our spellings and spell it mold

soma_rich
    Free Member

Unless of course the OP is talking to an American

I am….

toys19
    Free Member

Could be using injection moulding to make the waxes? Maybe if they “shot a couple of waxes”. Shot is an injection moulding term and it’s common now to make waxes this way. Then its shelled in various slurries, they go hard and you have an outside mould, melt the wax out and fill with molten metal. But given the lack of info this is all just a wild stab in the dark.

maccruiskeen

If its lost wax in the clay-wax-bronze statuette sense then I would guess at it being a few wax copies of the original being cast in order to add fine detail, perhaps because the wax takes those fine marks more readily, perhaps because those details are so fine they’d be lost through too many mould-making steps, or maybe several waxes are made so that there’s more than one shot at getting those details just so.

Edit – or if the mould is complete maybe wax positives are being cast to test the result before making final cast, as with many techniques you destroy the mould with the actual pour

toys19
    Free Member

PS in the injection moulding industry I often get correct even by UK operators as they like to use the american spelling as they tend to have the money. I just can’t help using mould though as I agree Mold is in Wales.

Stoner
    Free Member

I nearly misread the thread title.

Did you know that casting translation is an anagram of slanting castration?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Casting translation.’ is closed to new replies.